Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
cowboyss
cowboyss began at the beginning.

Device: amazon
How to submit calibre ebook to kindle?

I use a mac and used calibre to create a mobi format.
What is the next steps to upload to Kindle to sell as an ebook on their site?
Thanks in advance
cowboyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Why didn’t you use Amazon's tools to make the ebook? It would likely be more compatible and may be less trouble.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000234621
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
cowboyss

that's where I started. they say its best to use word and save as filtered html then send to mobipocket. Word for mac does not have a filtered html option and mobipocket is a pc product.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Once your book is ready for publication, you can submit it to Amazon's Kindle Store via Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP). I suggest that you download and read the Kindle Publishing Guide there if you haven't done so already. You can access the KDP Community Forum from that page too, which is a good resource if you have questions. It'd be a good idea to read the KDP Knowledge Base files and the Help Topics too.

You may want to download Kindle Previewer so you can see how the .mobi file will look on the Kindle and Kindle Apps, to check for proper formatting, etc. That can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000234621.

I hope that helps to get you started! I haven't gone through the Amazon Kindle publishing process myself, but it looks like it's quite easy, assuming the file is properly formatted before submission.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyss View Post
I use a mac and used calibre to create a mobi format.
What is the next steps to upload to Kindle to sell as an ebook on their site?
Thanks in advance
A Calibre conversion does not leave enough room in the file for Amazon's DRM. Thus it's my understanding that Amazon will not accept a .mobi created by Calibre.

One way to end up with a "clean" HTML file is to save it as a .doc file (That has your chapters saved as Header 1 or Header 2). Email the file to yourself with a Gmail account. View it as a Google Document (which is HTML). Copy it from there and paste in your Mac's TextEdit program and save as HTML. You now have a clean HTML file.

Now I'm not sure your Headers will make it through this process.... Amazon needs this to build your Table of Contents from your headers I think..... You can also drag this into Kindle Preview for Mac (converts to a mobi) but I don't think it will build your TOC.

GOOD LUCK!

L
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
cowboyss

SOLVED

Dreamwriter thanks for the solution.

I simply took the Calibre-created mobi format and created a new title...
when it is complete, a viewer window appears and I was able to check the entire book.

Its funny, with all the posts here and on amazon, I haven't seen a simple statement until now that says upload your mobi to kindle.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #7
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
One way that it WILL work and I speak from experience... have Calibre convert your Mobi file to an epub -this will result in an inline Table of Contents (HTML).

Download a copy of Kindle Previewer (for Mac) from Amazon. Drag your epub into Previewer and it will do another mobi conversion. And your Table of Contents built by Calibre/Previewer should work on Previewer. You can then upload to Amazon and it WILL have room for the DRM on your newly created mobi.

Good Luck!

Lazer
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyss View Post
Its funny, with all the posts here and on amazon, I haven't seen a simple statement until now that says upload your mobi to kindle.
That's because this forum is about using the Kindle reader. The "Workshop" forums are the best place to ask about creating eBooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
amoroso
Groupie
amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for Android, Google Play Books
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Once your book is ready for publication, you can submit it to Amazon's Kindle Store via Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP). I suggest that you download and read the Kindle Publishing Guide there if you haven't done so already.
Is the Kindle Publishing Guide already available? Do you have a direct link? The link to the guide in the above page leads to a help page saying "coming soon".
amoroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
amoroso
Groupie
amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
A Calibre conversion does not leave enough room in the file for Amazon's DRM.
I seem to have read that a recent Calibre version addressed this issue by adding appropriate room to Mobi files.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroso View Post
Is the Kindle Publishing Guide already available? Do you have a direct link? The link to the guide in the above page leads to a help page saying "coming soon".
It's available for me. Are you logging in from Italy? If so, that could be why.

Edited to add link: https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/help
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #12
amoroso
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
It's available for me. Are you logging in from Italy? If so, that could be why.
Yes, I'm accessing the page from Italy. Yet another geographic restriction, this time on free documentation. Go figure.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Yes, I'm accessing the page from Italy. Yet another geographic restriction, this time on free documentation. Go figure.
No, it's the "Search" facility that's "Coming Soon". The information is in the links at the left side of the page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #14
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Here's the direct link to the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines in PDF format: http://kindlegen.s3.amazonaws.com/Am...Guidelines.pdf. That is version 1.8 of the Publishing Guidelines. There is a newer 1.9 version, which I downloaded myself within the last month, but now I can't find a link to it.

The information on the "Help" page is important to read, but the Publishing Guidelines do give some additional (more technical) information.

Added: Here is the Table of Contents from the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines:

Code:
Getting Started
Paths To Getting Your Content on Kindle
  Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing
  Creating Kindle Books In-House Using Kindle Plugin for Adobe InDesign
  Creating Kindle Books In-House Using KindleGen and Kindle Previewer Software
    Instructions for Using KindleGen
    Instructions for Installing Kindle Previewer
  Third-Party Conversion Services
Formatting Guidelines
  Text Guidelines
  Cover Image Guidelines
  Table of Contents Guidelines
  Guide Item Guidelines
  Image Guidelines
  Table Guidelines
  Adobe Digital Editions Compatibility Guidelines
  Styling Guidelines
  HTML Guidelines
  Formatting Tips
    Audio and Video Guidelines
    Dictionary Formatting
    Inflections for Dictionaries
    Custom OPF Metadata for Dictionaries
Kindle Best Practices
  Testing Kindle Books
  Kindle Quality Guidelines
Appendices
  Appendix A: Supported HTML Tags
  Appendix B: Supported Characters

Last edited by DreamWriter; 05-03-2011 at 05:26 PM.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #15
cowboyss

o thanks

Tags
calibre, kindle, mac, upload