Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #16
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
But even on the 950 which has wireless, there is no menu option for syncing. I don't think it would be possible without a firmware update. Therefore I am guessing the app won't have a sync feature. Just another example of how Sony is slow to embrace wireless, unlike their competitors.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:41 PM   #17
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I could have sworn I read that it would include sync. So maybe Sony will be forced to give us all a firmware update! And there will be lots of other great stuff in it, like the ability to change fonts!
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:42 PM   #18
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did someone say firmware update? I think I might start laughing hysterically at my own suggestion too!

elemnoP, I think I figured out why you read that it would include sync. I found another thread which discovered that if you look at the HTML source code of the Sony website (the link that I previously posted) it has commented out "With Reader's page sync technology, you can pick up where you left off from any Reader device or app by Sony". I put a link to the other thread below.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...44#post1227644

Very interesting! I wonder how the sync will work though? There is the obvious barrier that the 350 and 650 don't have wireless. My other ereaders have a sync command which the 950 doesn't have currently. Maybe for the 950 they could add a sync button within the Reader Store interface? The only other option would be when you are connected to the Reader Library software, I suppose. The iPhone / Android apps must sync with your Reader Store account. Then, when you connect your ereader to the Reader Library software you can also sync with your Reader Store account. That's my best guess!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #19
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So they announced sync and then took it away!! My guess is it's because the app will be ready before the FIRMWARE UPDATE.

Oh well, even the fact that they are making an app means that they will have to have more models with wireless and the sync ability in the future. (and now they have done wireless in one model, so they CAN do it.) Personally I don't even care about wireless, I just think Sony needs it in all their models because they always get dinged in reviews for not having it. The question is, if they can add wireless to the smaller readers in the next gen and not increase the price.

And yes, I was also guessing for sync to work with the "wired" models, you would have to connect your reader to the PC software so that it knows what page you're on.

eP
Old 12-08-2010, 11:42 PM   #20
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Has anyone checked out ebookstore.sony.com on your mobile? It's ready to go if they would only release the reader app now. When you go the account page it has a category which says "My Library > View in Reader for iPhone". I also purchased a book to test it out. After the purchase, it asks if you want to read the book in the Reader for iPhone app. When you select those options, for now it opens up the Available in December webpage. BTW I went to my account page within the desktop Reader Library software and was able to download the book to my Mac just fine as you would expect.

I suspect that when you are using the Reader for iPhone app and want to browse the Sony bookstore that it might launch a new Safari window with this mobile website? On the Available Soon webpage, the image on the left looks exactly like the Sony mobile bookstore webpage. I am guessing the bookstore and book viewer will not be integrated together within the app.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #21
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
...I am guessing the bookstore and book viewer will not be integrated together within the app.
That's an interesting method (if true). I don't understand why they would go against the grain of how it's normally done (within the app). People use different browsers on their devices. How do they know that it'll be a satisfying experience for the user?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #22
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Purely a speculation by me. It's not uncommon for iPhone apps to work that way although many people find it annoying. I've never used an Android phone so I'm not sure how they typically work. The new Overdrive iPhone app released this week works the same way. You click a button called Get Books which launches your library website in Safari and then when you download the book it goes back to the Overdrive app.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #23
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, I was referring to how it's done within an eReader app for a phone. The Kindle and NOOK phone apps are self-contained. There's no call to your browser. Unless you're stating that the Kindle for iPhone does use a browser.

Last edited by SCION; 12-09-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #24
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Interesting. I had never really paid attention because I usually purchase the books on my computer and then just use the apps to read the books. On the iPhone, the Kindle and Nook apps are not self-contained. They also launch a mobile website in a Safari window. Just like the new Overdrive library book app. On the other hand, Borders, Kobo and iBooks browse their shops within the app.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #25
dcross9818
Enthusiast
dcross9818 doesn't litterdcross9818 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-350, Kobo Aura, Kindle PW2, Voyage (broke), Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
No, I was referring to how it's done within an eReader app for a phone. The Kindle and NOOK phone apps are self-contained. There's no call to your browser. Unless you're stating that the Kindle for iPhone does use a browser.
I haven't used the nook software, but on android, the kindle software does use the browser. The Kobo software is self contained.

---dcross9818
dcross9818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:21 AM   #26
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcross9818 View Post
I haven't used the nook software, but on android, the kindle software does use the browser. The Kobo software is self contained.

---dcross9818
Thanks for letting me know. It was a poor assumption on my part. Don't know where it came from.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:16 PM   #27
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
Well it's mid December so hopefully it arrives soon so we can see what it has to offer.
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #28
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

eP, Sony just released a firmware update on the 950 to add a sync button. I know, I am shocked too! Here's what it says about syncing in the details of the firmware update on the Sony website.

Page Sync
Synchronizes reading information such as bookmarks, highlights and text notes between two or more Reader Daily Edition™ (PRS-950) devices.
Notes:
  1. To start using the sync function, turn on Page Sync in the Application Preferences screen.
  2. Synchronizing across your smart phone devices with applications such as Reader™ for iPhone® will be coming soon.

I hope that means syncing between my 950 and my iPhone is coming soon too. It's kind of odd the way it is written...
Old 12-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #29
elemenoP
Wizard

I'm happy you 950 guys are getting a firmware update and sync. As I said, I guess syncing with a tethered device wouldn't be all that great anyway. And the truth is... I don't even have an iphone! I'm waiting for the Verizon iphone which should be next quarter (crossing my fingers for January and not March!!). I was just thinking as I loaded up my bag with laptop, phone, ipod, and reader, how great it would be not to have to carry all those devices. Even without sync, I'm sure I will start doing some reading on my iphone... as soon as I get one!

eP
Old 12-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #30
sbtx99
Zealot
sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi; Red PRS-650; iPod Touch; Android phone
Of course, Sony only said December; they didn't say of which year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcross9818 View Post

---dcross9818
Amazon just updated their Kindle for Android app, and it is now self-contained.
sbtx99 is offline   Reply With Quote