Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2006, 12:31 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Mike Cane changes his opinion and becomes a Sony Reader fan

Mike Cane has updated his original review of the Sony Reader -- starting off with an outright retraction: 'I am now formally retracting that first sentence: "Let’s get this out of the way first: you do not want to buy it."'

3 of 4 parts of the review are posted so far:

http://mikecane.wordpress.com/2006/1...r-part-1-of-4/
http://mikecane.wordpress.com/2006/1...r-part-2-of-4/
http://mikecane.wordpress.com/2006/1...r-part-3-of-4/

It's not up yet, but logic suggests that this is where the fourth part just might be when it does show up:
http://mikecane.wordpress.com/2006/1...r-part-4-of-4/

So far, it seems to be a pretty thorough look-see.

Last edited by NatCh; 10-27-2006 at 10:25 AM. Reason: fixing the link to part 4
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Thanks for finding that. I was quite intrigued by his RSS comments. Here's the main issue I have with that. I often times follow the links in the RSS feeds. I can't do that on a PDF on the Reader. So, I think this really doesn't do much for me.

I like his thinking, though. :-)
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2006, 02:37 PM   #3
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Oooh. I want to read part 4.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:51 PM   #4
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
I still think the guy is a <censored> but at least he's spent some more time with the Reader and can actually give a more in-depth and realistic review.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:53 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I probably should add a link to this pre-comment of Mike's on his amplified Reader review (mostly 'cause I found it funny):

http://mikecane.wordpress.com/2006/10/23/i-reader/

Here's the main overthread, for completeness' sake:
http://mikecane.wordpress.com/tag/sony-reader/

He does finaly answer the question of whether you can scan text from the Reader's screen with one of those line-scanner pen thingies. Too bad it didn't work, that would have been nice for capturing quotations.
Advert
Old 10-26-2006, 02:58 PM   #6
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

I don't dislike him, but I honestly became fed up with a flamewar he participated in on the Writing On Your Palm list. It really made me choose to leave that group.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:03 PM   #7
Jake
Renaissance Man
Jake began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
His experience with the flashing page transitions is so similar to mine. Until I actually used the Reader I thought I could never stand the page turns. After few minutes it truly became a non-issue. The transitions are quite speedy actually (especially for non-PDF material) and I don't notice them any more than I would turning a page in a paper book. E-ink seems to be a technology that needs to be experienced directly. Similar to the ipod and cell phone, the more I use my Reader the more I wonder how I did without it!
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:04 PM   #8
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
But someone in the iLiad forum said you can scan the e-ink screen, so I wouldn't be surprised if a regular flat bed scanner works.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:13 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

True, we're not totally out in the cold on that.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:31 PM   #10
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Is there anything here that has not been pointed to by others? None of this, in any case, deals with the real problem, which is: what texts will be available? As for E-ink, it should be better than its predecessors and it is, but that does not mean that we should all stop reading on whatever device it is we use now.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:19 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp
As for E-ink, it should be better than its predecessors and it is, but that does not mean that we should all stop reading on whatever device it is we use now.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that you should. I'm certainly not.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:24 PM   #12
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
But someone in the iLiad forum said you can scan the e-ink screen, so I wouldn't be surprised if a regular flat bed scanner works.
Cant see why not... Simply most scanner are camera at heart.

This pen scanner dont have a lot of Depth of Field so to speak. Mostly contact if my memory serves me right.
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:11 PM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I don't think anyone is suggesting that you should. I'm certainly not.
Good I'll just soldier on with my p-readers.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:22 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Whatever works best for you, yvanleterrible, that's the important bit.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:36 PM   #15
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing
Cant see why not... Simply most scanner are camera at heart.

This pen scanner dont have a lot of Depth of Field so to speak. Mostly contact if my memory serves me right.
I have a one of those nice little flatbed scanners designed for 4X6 phots and tried scanning my ebook. The sony logo came out fine but the recessed page was out of focus. It got wose as you moved down the page because the joystick pushed that end of the reader further away from the glass.

Maybe a better quality scanner has more depth of field.

I think digital photos are going to be the best way to "scan" these pages for me.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote