Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-22-2008, 10:52 PM   #1
Cyrusx7
Cyrusx7 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700BC
Exclamation New PRS-700: "USB Device Not Recognized" -- HELP!

So my PRS-700 arrived just today and I played around with it to familiarize myself (im pleased with it) and after about 30 min of use I figured id recharge it. To my dismay, upon plugging it in, it the wretched "USB Device Not Recognized" balloon popped up. I hoped XP would automatically install the drivers but I figured since its new it wouldnt. I installed Sony eBook Library 2.5 and then reconnected the device and it still wouldnt recognize it so I tried plugging it into a different port, same balloon. I cold reboot the computer, same problem. Ive gotten as far as getting the device to say "USB Conencted" but the red charging light does not light up. Checked the Sony website for new drivers, its the same 2.5. To make matters worse, while I was going through all this, the Low Battery warning popped up so now my PRS is near dead.. What do I do? How do I get it to recognize it? HELP!

Cliffs: My new PRS-700 is not recognized by XP, even after installing SEL 2.5 .. WTF?!

Last edited by Cyrusx7; 12-22-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Cyrusx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:05 PM   #2
Cyrusx7

Wow.. One thing I forgot to mention was that I wasnt using the USB cable in the box, I just used another one I had laying around which was the exact same type. I figured id leave all the original stuff packed neatly in the box for future use .. Well, I thought maybe it was the USB cable's fault (even though it worked fine for other devices) so I tried the one in the box and .. viola!

Ill leave this thread up in case someone else goes through the same ordeal.
Advert
Old 12-22-2008, 11:21 PM   #3
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
The miniUSB cable used for the 700 is a hybrid sync/charge type.
Only use the same kind as some are just sync only.
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:56 AM   #4
Cyrusx7

Ohhh, I see Thanks
Old 12-23-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Server View Post
The miniUSB cable used for the 700 is a hybrid sync/charge type.
Only use the same kind as some are just sync only.
First time I hear of separate "sync" and "charge" cable types. As far as I know, the USB protocol defines only one type of cables - with four conductors for power and signals.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2008, 10:51 AM   #6
Palladin
Connoisseur
Palladin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700, 350 & Pocketbook IQ
On a similar note, I tried to charge my 700 with my AC charger from my Garmin GPS and it didn't charge even though the red light came on. Best thing was that it didn't hurt my 700.
Palladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
...As far as I know, the USB protocol defines only one type of cables - with four conductors for power and signals.
The Bluetooth protocol has been shattered many times (ie. Apple) and yet
a "unified" protocol exists.

I have umteen miniUSB cables and like you, I thought they were standard.
Not so. For whatever reason, some are manufactured in such a way that
also charges and syncs while others only connect. So I presume the protocol
exists for the port type only and perhaps not the way it should function.
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
First time I hear of separate "sync" and "charge" cable types. As far as I know, the USB protocol defines only one type of cables - with four conductors for power and signals.
There is a charge cable were D- and D+ is connected on the device side. This signals that the unit should be charged. For my phone if that kind of cable is not used only trickle charging takes place. If these cable can be bought I do not know. I will soon build one to my phone. There are cables with only power connected.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:20 AM   #9
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post
On a similar note, I tried to charge my 700 with my AC charger from my Garmin GPS and it didn't charge even though the red light came on. Best thing was that it didn't hurt my 700.
For AC charging, buy a PSP charger (usually about $19 in most stores) and it plugs into the round yellow port at the bottom, not the USB port.

For some reason, the AC adapters which plug into USB ports on devices won't charge the Reader.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #10
twintowertwo
twintowertwo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Good thread. I too thought my Blackberry USB would charge the PRS-700 (wrong).

Questions:

How much faster does the PRS-700 charge with the plug-in charger as compared to the supplied USB connected to my PC?

Does it depend on my PC in any way?

About how long should it take to charge from dead to full using the USB?

Thanks!
twintowertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:43 PM   #11
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by twintowertwo View Post
Good thread. I too thought my Blackberry USB would charge the PRS-700 (wrong).

Questions:

How much faster does the PRS-700 charge with the plug-in charger as compared to the supplied USB connected to my PC?

Does it depend on my PC in any way?

About how long should it take to charge from dead to full using the USB?

Thanks!
As per manual, a depleted battery will take approx 4 hours to recharge via USB and 2 hours via A/C, but I wouldn't recommend depleting the battery below 3/4 if possible.
There are a few threads around dealing with lithium ion batteries.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 12-30-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #12
twintowertwo
twintowertwo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Thanks Wetdogeared!
twintowertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:46 AM   #13
AmboCS
AmboCS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrusx7 View Post
Wow.. One thing I forgot to mention was that I wasnt using the USB cable in the box, I just used another one I had laying around which was the exact same type. I figured id leave all the original stuff packed neatly in the box for future use .. Well, I thought maybe it was the USB cable's fault (even though it worked fine for other devices) so I tried the one in the box and .. viola!

Ill leave this thread up in case someone else goes through the same ordeal.
Ironically the cable I had supplied didn't work! I fretted to the nth degree, when I read this thread and someone mentioned Garmin.

I used my Garmin USB-microUSB cable and voila! Device Found, New Storage Device, Sony Touch Installed!

I may never understand it, but after waiting weeks for it to arrive here downunder (yes, another Aussie) I can't wait to have a proper play!

Initial thoughts - the screen is NOT reflective enough to stop me from using it, heck my laptop is 100x worse and it's what I've read off so far.

Thanks!
AmboCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:38 AM   #14
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I'm pretty sure there are both 4 pin, and 5 pin mini usb cables. they arent always cross compatible.

and when your device is below the full 4 bars, next chance you get charge it. you have more than a week for that next chance anyway.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote