Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-20-2008, 06:49 AM   #1
Fermthe
Connoisseur
Fermthe began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-500/Iliad v2
prs 500 battery time

Hello to all the friends. I want to say that i am very happy to read your forum for long time now and it help me to use my reader find utilities hack and everything.
After using this device for 4-5 months now i found some things that i want to share with you if you dont already know.
When i bought this fine product the first thing was to buy a large and fast sdram for that so i bought 2GB 150x
Two things i notice about that. One the battery runs out fast not even close 7.500 turns but not more than 1000 and second slow page refresh.
After removing the sd ram and put all my books on internal memory i find out that battery runs for much more turns (not very sure yet for how many) and much more faster page turns.
Conclusion: the sdram interface cannot utilize the fast sd's and when you have an extra ram it uses power from the reader. I also find that i realy dont need more ram than the reader haves. I have 67 books and still i have 20 MB empty
Fermthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Yes, your observations are in line with what some other members have reported.
And welcome to the forum, Fermthe.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
lionfish
Connoisseur
lionfish doesn't litterlionfish doesn't litter

Device: E-Book Reader
I have a different experience that Fermthe.

I used only internal RAM in the beginning but later I added an 1G SD card (Toshiba) and found that the total no. of page turn allowed seems unaffected and remains around 1700. The only strange thing is that all Chinese books stored on the SD Card require initial formatting (it takes about 10s) in the reader while English books don't.
lionfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
Fermthe
Connoisseur

Toshiba 1MB SD

You are sying that this toshiba sd works faster than all the otherones if yes can you please tell me model of that sd so i can try it ?
Old 06-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #5
lionfish
Connoisseur
lionfish doesn't litterlionfish doesn't litter

Device: E-Book Reader
I don't feel any noticeable downgrade of performance as yours when I use my SD card. Now, I stored all my books on the card.

BTW, My card is called Toshiba High-speed type Class-4 1GB, Model #is SD-M01GR4W. It's made in Japan.

I don't know if you can find it in your country. Good luck.
lionfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2008, 06:15 AM   #6
Fermthe
Connoisseur

Sd Card

Thank you for the info. You sould know i buy 90% of electronic stuff from internet or ebay. Also my reader i bought it from e-bay
Old 06-22-2008, 07:20 AM   #7
Fermthe
Connoisseur

Sd Ram Speed

after some experiments with my sd ram on my reader i found out what was my mistake making the sd ram work slow. I was formating the flash at fat 32 and after format it on fat and copy all ebooks on both devices reader and flash and experiment with page turns from both and on the same book i found out that the speed was the same not even a bit slower from flash to the readers internal memory. But what is the explanation on going slower on fat 32 ?