Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #631
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I don't discount anything and I never said how much cheaper they are. Even if it's only $0.75 cheaper than a paperback or $2 cheaper than a hardcover; they're still cheaper to produce.
Hum. I thought that you didn't pay _anything_ for ebooks? Why are you concerned with ebooks being $8.00 rather than $7.25?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:21 PM   #632
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Hum. I thought that you didn't pay _anything_ for ebooks? Why are you concerned with ebooks being $8.00 rather than $7.25?
For the same reason I care about other things I don't do. Whether or not I do something, has no bearing on my support for what I believe to be fair. For example; I'm not gay nor do I smoke marijuana, yet I voted to legalize gay marriage and marijuana use in my home state.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #633
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Do you ever stop to think that maybe you should NOT bring your politics into a thread?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #634
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Do you ever stop to think that maybe you should NOT bring your politics into a thread?
It's just an example.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #635
Rps
Grammar and Grandpa!
Rps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one hand

Device: Kobo Aura HD, iPad Air
Interesting arguments here. Relating to the topic, it seems to me there are two worlds here: those that want cheaper books (and who doesn't) and those who do not want a monolithic source for ebooks. My concern here is that ebooks make up such a small portion of the reading market ... So will greed kill the industry before it gains a critical mass amongst readers. Also, will we become device bound ... If Kobo leaves the market, as has Sony and the verdict is still awaiting the Nook with its ties to Samsung, will the Kindle be the only viable choice left in North America .... Thus back to the monolithic source again. I fear that if Kobo and Amazon can't make money here in North America .... Then who can.

I am torn on this issue. We all want cheaper books, but at what cost.
Rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2014, 05:00 PM   #636
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rps View Post
Interesting arguments here. Relating to the topic, it seems to me there are two worlds here: those that want cheaper books (and who doesn't) and those who do not want a monolithic source for ebooks. My concern here is that ebooks make up such a small portion of the reading market ... So will greed kill the industry before it gains a critical mass amongst readers. Also, will we become device bound ... If Kobo leaves the market, as has Sony and the verdict is still awaiting the Nook with its ties to Samsung, will the Kindle be the only viable choice left in North America .... Thus back to the monolithic source again. I fear that if Kobo and Amazon can't make money here in North America .... Then who can.

I am torn on this issue. We all want cheaper books, but at what cost.
I prefer sell prices to be set by the retailer, not the wholesaler or producer. We have anti-trust laws in place to deal with companies who stray. After that, let the market slug it out.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:11 PM   #637
Rps
Grammar and Grandpa!
Rps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one hand

Device: Kobo Aura HD, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I prefer sell prices to be set by the retailer, not the wholesaler or producer. We have anti-trust laws in place to deal with companies who stray. After that, let the market slug it out.
Where would you place Apple in this .... Do not they as a producer set the prices for their products?
Rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #638
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rps View Post
Where would you place Apple in this .... Do not they as a producer set the prices for their products?
They do set prices and I disagree with it. That said, I would never support laws that would prevent them from doing so. If Hachette doesn't like Amazon setting prices, then Hachette should pull their catalog and go elsewhere. Likewise, if Amazon doesn't like Hachette setting prices, then Amazon should refuse to sell Hachette titles. Very simple. What's going on now is tough contract negotiations between two large multinational corporations. Eventually the dust will settle and there'll be compromises on both sides.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:01 PM   #639
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I think you discount the labor costs that are the same regardless of if it's ebook or pbook. According to this article, by an author, the actually printing cost of an $8 pbook book is 75 cents or around 10% of the total price.

http://www.davidderrico.com/cost-bre...printed-books/
Not that printing costs are the only costs however. You also have shipping and warehousing. Inventory management, returns for HC's or toss aways for PB's. All of which are part of the cost exclusive to pbooks.

(I'd also bet with the smaller print runs a lot of books get now plus the higher costs of paper each year that the per unit is a little higher than $.75)
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #640
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Unless the BWM's get their act together very quickly and come up with a competitive business model they are doomed.
After all the time I spend here, I'm ashamed to admit that I don't know what BWM stands for. Going by this post, and context, it probably has something to do with being a big publisher. But before I reply, and, not for the first time, make a fool of myself, can someone tell me what those initials stand for? Hopefully, it's nothing obscene

Thanks in advance.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:45 PM   #641
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I Think it is a play on BMW thus meaning Big Whoooping Moneymaker. Could be wrong though these acronyms tend to take on a Life of their own.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #642
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
After all the time I spend here, I'm ashamed to admit that I don't know what BWM stands for. Going by this post, and context, it probably has something to do with being a big publisher. But before I reply, and, not for the first time, make a fool of myself, can someone tell me what those initials stand for? Hopefully, it's nothing obscene

Thanks in advance.
I'm pretty sure it stands for "Buggy Whip Maker"

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:04 PM   #643
jemc
Quietly Lurking...
jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iDevices, others
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
It came from here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post

Quote:
How about if Amazon just lets Hachette price as it wish, and then competes against them with Amazon Publishing and Kindle Direct Publishing? If the alleged buggy whip maker dies, what's the problem, since you never liked them anyway?
And thankyou for the phrase buggy whip makers. I propose that henceforth users of this forum use this term abbreviated to BWM instead of BPH.
jemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:22 PM   #644
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemc View Post
It came from here:
Thank you. My memory is not so good.

Re buggy whip makers, a bunch of them tried becoming auto parts makers, and didn't do well:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/bu...digi.html?_r=0

And one buggy whip maker who stuck to its knitting while charging rather high prices -- exactly what darryl, in #616, implies will doom big publishers -- has outlived them all:

http://westfieldwhip.com/carriage.html

If the publishers really were emulating Westfield Whip, they wouldn't even be selling eBooks. Perhaps, publishing executives were so indoctrinated in the let's-make-fun-of-buggy-whip-manufacturers meme that anyone who suggested holding out again issuing titles as eBooks, at least until the same time the paperback came out, was laughed away.

This isn't meant to be an attempt to argue a point, but to broaden the discussion a bit.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 08-28-2014 at 08:40 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #645
jemc
Quietly Lurking...
jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iDevices, others
Quote:
Thank you. My memory is not so good.
No problem. This thread has been running in mind-numbing circles for so long a little memory loss is understandable.
jemc is offline   Reply With Quote