Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #61
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I'm not interested in buying it, but the fuss that you are all making over how it looks is way overblown. It is a small bezel and screen... like every other ereader. What is the big deal!?
Because the Nook ST Glowlight was outdated but at least it had a real nice and original design, and until now B&N had good designers. Their devices were not always super duper up to date, but at least they were pretty.

Now it just looks old AND ugly. I agree with Nate, I think B&N is cooked.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #62
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
The average consumer do not get as nitpicky as many here you have to remenber. They just want a solid device to read on.
Then the average consumer could just get a Kindle Paperwhite for the same price. The average, not-nitpicky consumer doesn't care about epub vs azw either.

I don't use page turn buttons or an SD card, but I agree that the Nook should have kept these features, in order to differentiate from the competition.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #63
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by domani7 View Post
I am beyond horrified that it's missing page turn buttons. Time to stock up on the nook simple touch!
Agreed, the current NST seems like a much more desirable device.

In particular, the page turn buttons are so useful that I would never buy an ereader without them.

I am seriously thinking about picking up a GlowLight now while I still can.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #64
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmian View Post
The slightly lighter weight is attractive. The rest just doesn't seem like an advance on the competition. I wonder why the weight is less?
there are no magnets for the cover to automatically turn the device on/off. they also ditched the physical page turn buttons, eliminating some electronics. maybe this accounts for the weight loss. and electronics are shrinking all the time, too. i'm just wondering why they couldn't shrink the bezel a bit.

Last edited by rem736; 10-30-2013 at 12:11 PM.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #65
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
...when I saw it had 4gb, until I realized only a quarter of that is any good to me!
1/8 actually.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #66
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like what I'm seeing here, I also like that you can turn the light completely off. I'm waiting for some reviews, I have the old Paperwhite and might just spring for this.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #67
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Then the average consumer could just get a Kindle Paperwhite for the same price. The average, not-nitpicky consumer doesn't care about epub vs azw either.

I don't use page turn buttons or an SD card, but I agree that the Nook should have kept these features, in order to differentiate from the competition.

eP
The paperwhite isnt an improvement imo and it costs more. Time will tell though. If the nook gets good reviews and better quality control, i will guess that people will forget about the lack of buttons and sd card slot. I find it funny that so many are complaining so vehemently about two things that kindle also does not have. No one has even tried the device yet and have already declared it doa. It has everything to offer that the current kindle does and imo its more pleasing to the eye than the standard tablet look that kindle always seems to use. A refreshing change i must say.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #68
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It seems the software has undergone only minimal changes, so: no web browser or ability to use wifi to download 3rd party content, no landscape mode. Perhaps someone will come up with a way to repartition the space so more is available for side load. I cannot imagine why one would want a library of 2000 B&N books on there if they are all downloadable on demand.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #69
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
rem736: However, the weight is in relation to the Kindle PW2, which never had an SD slot. The Kobo Aura has an SD slot as well, and is in a similar weight range. It may be the magnets, as you say.

TBH I don't think that most of the things people are talking about here, with the exception of the color of the bezel, will be a big deal with the mainstream market, which is what really matters for the success of the device. As Tony888 said, if people really cared about that much about the lack of buttons and SD card slot, Kindle PW wouldn't be the top e-reader (in the US and UK, but since we're talking about Nook, only the US and UK markets are in question here)

I think what's going to make more of a difference are programs like Matchbook and software features. The main update Nook seems to be touting now are recommendations.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #70
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I cannot imagine why one would want a library of 2000 B&N books on there if they are all downloadable on demand.
Well, you know how it is. Today they are, tomorrow - who knows...

I think chances of B&N surviving in the long term are pretty low. While they are surviving your purchases should be safe, but two-three years from now... At least Borders had Kobo to transfer the purchases to before going belly up.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #71
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
The paperwhite isnt an improvement imo and it costs more.
They're the same price - $119 each.

If I were in the market for a new ereader (and I'm not), this one would be DOA because its white; I don't care how well it performed otherwise. A white bezel is the kiss of death.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #72
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I thought the Kindle hacks worked on the KT, PW1, and PW2...
No hacks work on the PW2 yet, for the average user. Some of the electronic engineers are doing things with theirs, which involved opening the case, which I am not willing to do! But I am hopeful that at some point they will jailbreak so we can do a little hacking. I would like more margin control. I saw in one of the CNet videos that the new Nook can display text all the way to the edges. I wish my Kindle PW2 could do that.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #73
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
They're the same price - $119 each.

If I were in the market for a new ereader (and I'm not), this one would be DOA because its white; I don't care how well it performed otherwise. A white bezel is the kiss of death.
The white doesn't bother me. But of course there is no way to get rid of the BN recommendations (ADS) that fill half the screen. That is a kiss of death, for me. Yes, I paid the $20 to get rid of the ads on my PW1 and my PW2. $139 is well worth a quality piece of hardware.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #74
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
there are no magnets for the cover to automatically turn the device on/off.
The old Glow didn't allow for auto turn-off either (at least mine never has) and in any event those magnets would be in the cover not the reader.

The lack of an SD slot will presumably kill the rooting options. Shame.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #75
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Well, you know how it is. Today they are, tomorrow - who knows...

I think chances of B&N surviving in the long term are pretty low. While they are surviving your purchases should be safe, but two-three years from now... At least Borders had Kobo to transfer the purchases to before going belly up.
Unlike Kindle DRM and Adobe Adept DRM, B&N's social DRM allows you to make backup copies of your books that can be read on any device supporting the DRM, without needing a DRM server.

You should make a backup of your books anyway, because no bookstore can guarantee that you will always be able to re-download your books.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote