Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
penguinsfly1
penguinsfly1 got an A in P-Chem.penguinsfly1 got an A in P-Chem.penguinsfly1 got an A in P-Chem.penguinsfly1 got an A in P-Chem.penguinsfly1 got an A in P-Chem.penguinsfly1 got an A in P-Chem.penguinsfly1 got an A in P-Chem.penguinsfly1 got an A in P-Chem.penguinsfly1 got an A in P-Chem.penguinsfly1 got an A in P-Chem.penguinsfly1 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question: SSH Client for the Paperwhite

Hello. I apologise if this is not the place for questions but I couldn't see anywhere else.

I have been trying to get an SSH client for my Kindle PW. I have jailbroken my Kindle PW and installed KUAL. I have also installed usbnetworking and can access the kindle via ssh. I was interested in something I saw about using a kindle as a terminal display for a raspberry pi. This required you to have an SSH client on the kindle and I can't find one that works. I have installed kterm but that doesn't seem to have an ssh client and I tried installing kindleterm but was unable to edit the external.policy file (read only). This also seemed to require overwriting a file that KUAL requires.

Has anyone got any suggestions of other SSH clients? Or how I can get the other working?

Thanks for any help.
penguinsfly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I have attached something that WILL work...

REPLACE YOUR extensions/kterm FOLDER WITH THIS LOT...

simply type ssh and then the ip you want to connect to from the kindle.

or you could add the name of the thing you want to connect to in /etc/hosts example 192.168.1.100 pi

and then type ssh pi

Sorry for the deley - wanted to do testing...
Attached Files
File Type: zip kterm-with-ssh.zip (1.37 MB, 992 views)

Last edited by twobob; 02-28-2013 at 02:30 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Look above.

bundled you mine.

Can't say fairer than that.

Last edited by twobob; 02-28-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
timb.us
Enthusiast
timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPad 2
Hah, I was just coming here looking for this. Thanks man! Is there a way to install full OpenSSH? I’m interested in messing with X11 forwarding from the Pi to the Kindle.
timb.us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by timb.us View Post
Hah, I was just coming here looking for this. Thanks man! Is there a way to install full OpenSSH? I’m interested in messing with X11 forwarding from the Pi to the Kindle.
If you installed our USBnetworking package - it is already there - look.
That package installs both dropbear (for USB) and OpenSSH (for Wifi).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
timb.us
Enthusiast
timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I installed this one: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...19#post2169819

I don’t see it in there? Looking in the /src/usbnet/bin direction I didn’t see a SSH executable, just dropbear…

Am I using the wrong package?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you look inside of the install package, or on your kindle after installing it?
Did you read the README_FIRST.txt file that was installed at the same time?

Let me guess, your score is: 2-No, 0-Yes
Old 02-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
timb.us
Enthusiast

Actually, smartass, I’ve looked in the usbnet directory and read the readme_first. I know you guys get a lot of impatient morons through here, but I'm not one of them.

I changed the config to use OpenSSH, added my private key and enabled SSH over WiFi.

Code:
[root@kindle root]# cd /mnt/us/usbnet/bin/
[root@kindle bin]# ls
busybox             htop                kindletool          lsof                mosh-server         sftp-server         usbnetwork
dropbearmulti       kindle_usbnet_addr  libkh5              mosh-client         rsync               sshd
I'm still not seeing an ssh client there?
Old 02-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
penguinsfly1
penguinsfly1 got an A in P-Chem.penguinsfly1 got an A in P-Chem.penguinsfly1 got an A in P-Chem.penguinsfly1 got an A in P-Chem.penguinsfly1 got an A in P-Chem.penguinsfly1 got an A in P-Chem.penguinsfly1 got an A in P-Chem.penguinsfly1 got an A in P-Chem.penguinsfly1 got an A in P-Chem.penguinsfly1 got an A in P-Chem.penguinsfly1 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
That worked perfectly, thanks twobob.
penguinsfly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
twobob

EDIT:

And fluffy bunnies gambolled in a leafy glade.

That's a nice image. I shall leave this here instead.

Last edited by twobob; 02-28-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinsfly1 View Post
That worked perfectly, thanks twobob.
welcome
Old 02-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Actually, smartass, I’ve looked in the usbnet directory and read the readme_first. I know you guys get a lot of impatient morons through here, but I'm not one of them.

I changed the config to use OpenSSH, added my private key and enabled SSH over WiFi.

Code:
[root@kindle root]# cd /mnt/us/usbnet/bin/
[root@kindle bin]# ls
busybox             htop                kindletool          lsof                mosh-server         sftp-server         usbnetwork
dropbearmulti       kindle_usbnet_addr  libkh5              mosh-client         rsync               sshd
I'm still not seeing an ssh client there?
It is right there in your list.
http://lists.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au/piper...q4/000975.html
Old 02-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #13
timb.us
Enthusiast

Hey, I didn't start it. It just seemed like knc1 was throwing some attitude my way. I know it can be difficult to deal with people who constantly come in that haven't RTFM, but sheesh.

Okay, okay, maybe I should try to lay out exactly what I'm trying to do?

I'd like to SSH outbound from the Kindle to an embedded device, with the -X option so it takes care of all the Xauth forwarding. Basically I'd like to be able to use the Kindle PW as my X display. Your version of kterm-ssh doesn't support the -X option. That's why I was trying to get a real OpenSSH installation going, but it appears the usbnet installation only contains an SSH (and SFTP) server.

Edit: Also, sorry for the attitude. I'm having a bad day, no excuse.

Last edited by timb.us; 02-28-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #14
timb.us
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Hmm, go back and read my original questions...

Quote:
The dropbear client isn't the OpenSSH client...
Old 02-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Hmm, go back and read my original questions...
The dropbear client isn't the OpenSSH client...
http://lists.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au/piper...q2/000371.html

If that doesn't suit you, just build OpenSSH client (or steal it from Debian as a binary).