Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Which of the following David Weber series do you recommend the most?
Dahak 4 14.81%
Empire of Man 5 18.52%
Multiverse 4 14.81%
Safehold 5 18.52%
War of God 8 29.63%
Bolo 0 0%
Furies 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
David Weber

I have read the Honorverse and Ring of Fire series by David Weber and I am looking forward to reading another one of his series. Which of the following of his series do you recomend the most:
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I can not recommend just one. I like Empire of Man, Safehold and War God. I enjoyed all three immensely and have reread them many times. The Empire of Man is a coming of age series. It follows Prince Roger as he changes from a spoiled Prince to a man worthy of inheriting an Empire.
Safehold is basically about trying to rebuild the Human Race to be able to defeat the Gbaba. Unfortunately the surviving leaders of the Expedition felt hiding was the only answer and set the colony up to not have any memories of Earth and to keep them at a primitive level via a Theocracy.
The War God Series follows Bahzell Bahnakson and his friend Brandark as they embark on a series of adventures. This one is a Fantasy Series.
I enjoyed all three series.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I have only ever read Honor Harrington and the spinoffs. I really like them.
I have the Safehold books but haven't gotten around to them yet.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I've only run across one Weber book that I thought was mediocre. I would say that I enjoyed the War God series the next after the Honor series. I also liked his Stars at War series, I think they were the first books he wrote with Steve White.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Empire of Man is the series that gets the re-reads from me on a regular basis. It's got a great universe, interesting and evolving characters, adventure, terror, suspense, humor, love and sorrow. It's a great series.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'd hardly call Ring of Fire Mr. Weber's Series. I suspect Eric Flint my have something to say there.

That being said? I'd not really recommend any of them. I've read the Safehold series and find it seriously needs an editor who could rein in Mr. Weber and actually tighten up his writing. And the ebook price is significantly higher than my gag-point. But that being said, I have enjoyed the ones I've read, putting them just on the slightly plus side of positive. Say 6 out of 10. Maybe 7 at a stretch. I won't buy any more of them, but I'd be interested if they were published by Baen, rather than Tor. (Baen shows signs of actually being able to edit their books, and their publishing policies are more in keeping with the modern world we live in.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #7
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i want to love david weber but someone needs to sit him down and tell him that info-dumps don't make for exciting reading.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
i want to love david weber but someone needs to sit him down and tell him that info-dumps don't make for exciting reading.
Yes, he needs a good editor!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:40 PM   #9
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yes, he needs a good editor!
i just read his book Out of the Dark not too long ago and cringed at the page after page of info-dump dialogue between the aliens and repetitive action. its a 500 page or so book, easily 150-200 could have been chopped. dry and redundant doesn't even begin to describe it.

its especially maddening because his action scenes are second to none, i know the man can write.

Last edited by xg4bx; 12-27-2011 at 11:43 PM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:18 AM   #10
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
He's definitely got a case of late 21st century auctorial bloatblight.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:26 PM   #11
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
i just read his book Out of the Dark not too long ago and cringed at the page after page of info-dump dialogue between the aliens and repetitive action. its a 500 page or so book, easily 150-200 could have been chopped. dry and redundant doesn't even begin to describe it.

its especially maddening because his action scenes are second to none, i know the man can write.
Maybe you would have liked the short story version better. (I haven't read either one.)

http://www.amazon.com/Warriors-2-Geo...5305370&sr=1-2
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #12
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I liked the Dahak books - particularly the first two. One thing they have in their favor is that they're early works and thus relatively short.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I liked the Dahak books - particularly the first two. One thing they have in their favor is that they're early works and thus relatively short.
I would love to see more written in that series as well.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote