Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
patomonk
Enthusiast
patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-950
PRS 950 Won't connect to Wifi, Please help!

Hi, this is my first post, although I have been a long time lurker. I just received my PRS 950 in the mail last week and it locked up frequently, and it wouldn't connect to wifi and often wouldn't connect to 3g. So I called up Sony and they sent out a new one and it won't connect to wifi either, although it hasn't been locking up. It will connect to 3g although it takes a while.

Can someone give me an idea of what to do?

Otherwise I am really happy with it, my friend with a kindle is very jealous (although his connects to my wifi without a problem)!

Thanks, Travis.
patomonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
In connecting to wi-fi, the 950 is looking for a signal from a nearby wireless internet router. If incorrect settings are used, it will not connect. It may be worthwhile going someplace with free wi-fi and setting all of the connection info to auto to see what happens.

I think the 3G, like your cell phones, needs good access to a local cell tower for a strong signal to work properly.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
patomonk
Enthusiast
patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for your reply. I took it to Barnes and Noble (what cheek, I know) to test the wifi and it connected just fine, although it took a little while. There network is completely unprotected so that seems to be the difference. But if I can't connect at home then I will be very disappointed, is there anything else that I can do?
Old 12-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
If it works at B&N, then it is probably your settings on the reader. I would suggest carefully reviewing the user manual on your reader to make sure the wireless connection settings are correct for your home WiFi, including whether you need to enter a fixed IP address into your reader if your router is not providing DHPC service.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
patomonk
Enthusiast

Thanks, how do I enter a fixed ip address, and what is dhpc service? My connection is wpa2 psk aes, and I think that the reader may have a problem with those settings because someone else has posted about the same problem. Thank you!
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
DHPC service is used in routers to assign devices an IP address. If you aren't familiar with this and your home network is working fine, then it is probably not the problem. Some people will turn this service off in their router's settings. When they do that, they have to manually enter an IP address in each device on the network. That can be a pain, so most people (unknowingly) let the router take care of this automatically.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I had a very hit-or-miss experience with the wifi. On some networks it works flawlessly, but on others it just won't connect. And I have been able to connect to secure networks, even to networks which require browser login, but on other networks (even open ones, at times), it just hangs there trying to connect forever...

I am convinced there is something wrong, I don't think it's a matter of settings. I usually carry both my PRS950 and my iPad with me and there are plenty of places were my iPad connects without the need for any additional settings, while the PRS just won't...

I work at a large university and even our IT department could not figure out why the PRS950 won't connect to our unsecured 'guest' WIFI network.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:43 PM   #8
patomonk
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. It's good to know that I am not the only one having problems! Although I am sorry to hear about others'. It appears to be a general problem, however my first one would connect occasionally, but this one has yet to connect once! So who knows? I don't want to keep sending them back if none are going to connect regularly, or at least somewhat frequently.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:26 AM   #9
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
My router uses the same settings for the wifi connection (WPA2 personal with TKIP and AES). First I can't connect. After changing the reader's settings to WPA2-PSK (TKIP) the reader conneted without problems.
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
patomonk
Enthusiast

I just talked to Sony Support and they told me to update the firmware and while I was skeptical I did it and now it connects just fine! He told me it was probably a problem with my unit but whatever. It works great and now I am thrilled with it once again! Thanks for all your replies.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patomonk View Post
I just talked to Sony Support and they told me to update the firmware and while I was skeptical I did it and now it connects just fine! He told me it was probably a problem with my unit but whatever. It works great and now I am thrilled with it once again! Thanks for all your replies.
Thanks for mentioning that!
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs 950, sony, wifi