Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
strawfordt
strawfordt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Proper Use of Kobo??

Hello Koboites,

I am a new eReader user and so far so good. The Kobo has been without major issues for me. I do have a question about proper use of the Kobo / eInk device.

If I understand correctly, the only time the device uses power is when it has been requested to do something. eg turn a page, load a book etc. Therefore I am assuming that the device can be left in the powered on state with a book page displayed and it is not causing the battery to drain. Seems to be a logical assumtion as the device leaves a book cover displayed when it is powered off.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Tom
strawfordt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:05 AM   #2
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Yep, you've got it.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:06 AM   #3
mwlcarter
Connoisseur
mwlcarter began at the beginning.

That's correct. I've read elsewhere that people have received customer service feedback that the device enters a sleep state after 10 seconds, so the only real advantage of using the power button is that it perhaps powers down more fully, and (more significantly) locks the rest of the buttons on the device.
mwlcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:15 AM   #4
denodan
Enthusiast
denodan doesn't litterdenodan doesn't litter

Device: iriver Story
Incorrect

I have an iriver Story, left on get 4 days before it needs charging. Turn it right off getting over 3 weeks on a single charge.

When the reader is on it is still using power, to keep memory going, or if you have a clock, uses power to run it.

Even those other people with the iriver Story will also confirm your battery lasts much much longer when you turn it off.

Like a laptop, in standby mode you are still using power, then only time your not using power is turned off altoghter.

Remember ebook readers still have computer chips and processor chips and still use power in standby.
denodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:31 AM   #5
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denodan View Post
I have an iriver Story, left on get 4 days before it needs charging. Turn it right off getting over 3 weeks on a single charge.
Very interesting! I am currently doing a test by powering down between reading sessions, so I will see how that affects the Kobo Reader battery life...
Old 06-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I just left my Kobo on the 'I am reading' menu for about three days, after fully charging it. Today I turned it off and back on, and the battery was down to about two thirds. So it does use some power at the menu. The screen can hold its display without power, but to truly save the battery, it seems you do have to turn it off.

I wish it had a key lock mode like the Hanlins, and a sleep mode like the Hanlins... I can put down my wrinkled blue PEZ and walk away for a week and the battery doesn't go down enough to notice. And I don't have to turn it off and back on to update the battery display... But I do like the Kobo anyway.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
artificial
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
I just left my Kobo on the 'I am reading' menu for about three days, after fully charging it. Today I turned it off and back on, and the battery was down to about two thirds.
Wow, so theoretically if left for 9 days in an open state, the battery would fully drain, without having read a single page!

This makes me feel quite optimistic about my "turn if off between reading sessions" experiment. At this stage (one day into the experiment) it's too early to tell if my battery life has improved, but I'll post my results in this thread once I know.

I wonder if the battery drain you observed is some sort of 'memory leak' that affects some devices but not others, or simply the nature of leaving the an eReader on 'standby'?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
eythian
eythian began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial View Post
I wonder if the battery drain you observed is some sort of 'memory leak' that affects some devices but not others, or simply the nature of leaving the an eReader on 'standby'?
It'll need to spend a little bit of power keeping the RAM live, like a laptop in sleep mode, they'll still run down after a while.

When powered off completely, it won't even be doing that.
eythian is offline   Reply With Quote