Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 01-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
ePub and top margin specification

I tested three Wodehouse books here done by Jellby (The Man Upstairs, Uneasy Money and The Man with Two Left Feet). All of them was missing a @page specification which lead to no top margin on my Gen3 and the top line being shadowed. To fix this I added in the css file:
Code:
  @page { margin-top: 2ex; margin-bottom: 1ex }
That at least solved the problem with the top margin and no new problem occurred with the bottom margin.

So it would be very good if all ePub uploaded here contained a @page specification. Maybe that could be added in the instructions? The exact values to use could be debated but it should be at least one line. Maybe 1ex is enough but I think 2ex looks better.

It seem that the PRS-900 also have problems with shadows (see another thread at MR).
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
I want to second that suggestion, each eBook should have at least little margins. Even without shadows by the surrounding screen frame, it's a common problem that characters are hard to read if spaced too closely to the edges of the display.

Margins shouldn't be too big by default and the user should be able to overwrite the css style easily if necessary. Using @page seems to be the correct solution.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
So it would be very good if all ePub uploaded here contained a @page specification. Maybe that could be added in the instructions? The exact values to use could be debated but it should be at least one line. Maybe 1ex is enough but I think 2ex looks better.
I agree that there should be some margin, but I'm not sure it should be specified in the book. I hope in some near future the readers will let the user set the margins to his liking, and then hardcoded margins will be a problem.

The Cybooks already set default left and right margins (which can't be changed), the absence of top margin can be considered as a bug in the reader, and I see the @page margins you suggest as a workaround for this bug. I am reluctant to include a workaround for a specific reader (which can be detrimental in the future) in all uploads, just as I was reluctant to include "text-align: justify" in my books, and the new firmware has confirmed I was "right"

EDIT: Anyway, if you are going to add default @page margins, I'd suggest adding side margins too... and I wouldn't have margins in font-dependent units, I'd better have absolute units (mm, pt).

Last edited by Jellby; 01-02-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I agree that there should be some margin, but I'm not sure it should be specified in the book. I hope in some near future the readers will let the user set the margins to his liking, and then hardcoded margins will be a problem.
And pigs will fly...

I do not agree. User specified margins should override the ones specified in the file. And if that do not happens we can just wait for the fix. Until then it is best to be prepared for this and specify margins so the files works properly on all readers.

Quote:
The Cybooks already set default left and right margins (which can't be changed), the absence of top margin can be considered as a bug in the reader, and I see the @page margins you suggest as a workaround for this bug.
I wonder if this is true since the left and right margins can vary a lot between documents if it is not specified in a @page.

Quote:
EDIT: Anyway, if you are going to add default @page margins, I'd suggest adding side margins too... and I wouldn't have margins in font-dependent units, I'd better have absolute units (mm, pt).
I thought about that. I wanted to have the distance to be around two lines of the body font because the visual appearance will be better (looking less cramped using large fonts). But maybe ex and em is not working at all.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I prefer no margins. It's not an issue with my 505. But then again, give that ePub is easy to edit, it's not much of an issue.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I prefer no margins. It's not an issue with my 505. But then again, give that ePub is easy to edit, it's not much of an issue.
It would be much easier to edit with a script if there always was a @page specification...
Old 01-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I do not agree. User specified margins should override the ones specified in the file. And if that do not happens we can just wait for the fix. Until then it is best to be prepared for this and specify margins so the files works properly on all readers.
Yes, like justification...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote