Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your preferred genre?
Crime 4 4.00%
Historical 4 4.00%
Humour 1 1.00%
Literary fiction 14 14.00%
Romance 10 10.00%
SF/fantasy 57 57.00%
Thrillers 4 4.00%
No preference 6 6.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #1
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Do you have a favourite genre?

Many members of the MobileRead forums seem to be sci-fi fans, which may not be surprising, since nearly everyone here can be regarded as an “early adopter” and is thus likely to have a greater than average interest in science and technology. But is it true? I know genres are pretty arbitrary and artificial, but if you had to name just one as your favourite, what would it be? Could a poll of MobileRead members’ tastes give an indication of how far the ebook revolution has got? So let’s find out! Please vote ... what is your favourite genre?
Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #2
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
I voted SF/Fantasy, since that is my favorite genre, but you should really have made the poll multi-choice

And you also forgot to add horror, I think there is a difference between a thriller and a horror story.

Stephen Kings, The Shining I would rate as a thriller, but Pet Semetary i would rate as a horror story
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
And you also forgot to add horror, I think there is a difference between a thriller and a horror story.
You're right -- sorry about that. Still, is there anyone not named Addams whose favourite genre is HORROR?

Last edited by DMcCunney; 10-07-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I voted no preference as I like several genres, and don't like any of them enough to give them preference

(I've worked with people who would only read horror books, so they're definitely out there!)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
I'm primarily an SF/fantasy fan, but I like genre fiction in general. I have a fairly large collection of mysteries and an assortment of thrillers, as well as "magic realism" and experimental writing in addition to the SF. Each scratches a different itch. The one genre I'm not really a fan of is horror. I respect the folks who do it well, but the emotions it's designed to provoke aren't ones I like or deliberately induce.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I am am in a majority. As a white South African that is an exceedingly rare thing for me to experience.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Herley View Post
You're right -- sorry about that. Still, is there anyone not named Addams whose favourite genre is HORROR?

Many, many people. It's why Steven King is so hugely popular, along with folks like Clive Barker, Dean Koontz, and Peter Straub.

King is largely responsible for Horror being considered a genre, and lots of publishers jumped on the bandwagon and set up Horror lines. The market went through a boom and bust, but horror is still out there and selling.
______
Dennis
Old 10-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
tazzle
Glyph
tazzle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I went with sci fi/fantasy, but I also read a great deal of literary fiction and historical fiction, plus some mystery and a lot of "miscellaneous". For the most part, I like to switch back and forth, but I definitely do have more sci fi titles all in all, both e- and p-books.
tazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
I, too, went with SF/Fantasy. But I also read lots of mysteries, romances, historical fiction, thrillers, political science, economics, history, some biographies... <deep breath> ...and that's just for pleasure. I generally stay away from horror and "great modern literature." Especially the latter, come to think of it. Far, far away from the litrachoor stuff. I prefer stories that actually have some meaning to them, rather than the pointless angst that seems to be the main hallmark of the modern literary novel. (Or so my high-school and college English profs would have me believe.)

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:58 AM   #10
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I answered SF/Fantasy, but that's not quite right. My favorite genre is Science Fiction, while I like fantasy, lately it's been falling below thrillers and suspense in my list of likes.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:08 PM   #11
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I actually don't read SciFi.

Historical Fiction and Mysteries are my favorites. Most recently Deanna Raybourn and Laurie King (Mary Russell series). After that suspense.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:37 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Herley View Post
Many members of the MobileRead forums seem to be sci-fi fans, which may not be surprising, since nearly everyone here can be regarded as an “early adopter”
I also chose SF/Fantasy, but only because I read fantasy. I find it difficult to enjoy SF regardless of how acclaimed the author is. Ironically I tend to really enjoy SF movies.

Which does bring up an interesting point of of those that read SF/Fantasy. How many people read both?

Take SF/Fantasy Poll

Last edited by =X=; 10-07-2008 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Added link to poll
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #13
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
I do. But I also read a lot more fantasy than I do SF.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #14
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Which does bring up an interesting point of of those that read SF/Fantasy. How many people read both?
Every SF/fantasy reader I know (and I know a lot of them) reads both. One of the common arguments in SF fan circles is where you draw the dividing line between them.
______
Dennis
Old 10-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #15
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Sci-Fi? Oh no! We are all a bunch of escapist nerds!
Over is offline   Reply With Quote