Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-19-2012, 02:17 AM   #1
Glottalpoly
Enthusiast
Glottalpoly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glottalpoly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glottalpoly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glottalpoly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glottalpoly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glottalpoly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glottalpoly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glottalpoly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glottalpoly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glottalpoly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glottalpoly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Download / Transfer "ALL" WIth Calibre Companion

I have about 4,000 PDFs in Calibre on my PC. I wish to transfer them ALL to my Nexus. From the screen prints it looks like I have to select groups(e.g. by author). That would be a pain (over 2,000 authors). Is there a "Transfer all" option ?

Note - this is a follow up to :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=1#post2310252

Last edited by Glottalpoly; 11-19-2012 at 03:06 AM.
Glottalpoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:26 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glottalpoly View Post
I have about 4,000 PDFs in Calibre on my PC. I wish to transfer them ALL to my Nexus. From the screen prints it looks like I have to select groups(e.g. by author). That would be a pain (over 2,000 authors). Is there a "Transfer all" option ?
This is a calibre function that functions the same for any device connected to calibre. Once your Nexus is connected via CC, in the calibre GUI simply select the books you want send to your device (in your case do a Ctrl-a to select all books) then click Send to device.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:47 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

Note - this is a follow up to :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=1#post2310252
CC has two ways to transfer books. The first, and the one that DoctorOhh is referring to, is to use the "wireless connection" (connect as a wireless device). When using this connection type, you use calibre to send (push) books to your Nexus. You have all the power of calibre available: searches, selections, bulk operations. In your case you might connect, search "ondevice:false" to get anything that isn't already transferred, then select all and send to device.

The second is the one I think you are referring to: connecting to calibre's content server. Using this connection you "pull" books to your nexus from calibre. Getting books using this connection is indeed a one-at-a-time operation. We intended it to be a convenience, permitting getting a book or two when you are away from the computer running calibre. However, and as I suppose we should have expected, some people want to use it exclusively instead of the wireless device connection, and these people are asking for bulk operations (pull, delete, and even metadata editing). We are looking at these sorts of things, but they aren't highest on our list.

You might consider using the reading list plugin. With it you can "schedule" transfers to happen during the next connect. In effect, it allows you to use the wireless connection service without being at your computer running calibre. Connect from your nexus and all "scheduled" books will be automatically sent.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:33 AM   #4
Glottalpoly
Enthusiast
Glottalpoly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glottalpoly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glottalpoly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glottalpoly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glottalpoly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glottalpoly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glottalpoly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glottalpoly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glottalpoly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glottalpoly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glottalpoly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I purchased Companion but it doesnt transfer the (pdf) metadata - so it is pointless for my purposes. It just makes a simple file transfer task extremely complicated - without actually adding any value !

FYI it also appears to be incompatible with "Where's My Droid" . I spent two hours trying to get a connection (e.g. manually setting IP addresses) but could only manage it when I stopped the "Wheres My Droid" app.

Last edited by Glottalpoly; 11-19-2012 at 05:36 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I purchased Companion but it doesnt transfer the (pdf) metadata - so it is pointless for my purposes. It just makes a simple file transfer task extremely complicated - without actually adding any value
First, if you are unhappy with CC then we will refund your money. Send mail from CC, including (if you have it) your google play transaction number and the google play account used.

As for not including metadata, I am confused. As you can see in the attached CC screen capture, the PDF has all the calibre metadata associated with it. What are you expecting to happen?

Do note that CC makes no attempt to update the metadata in the PDF file. If that is what you were expecting and require, then you are correct. CC does not solve your problem. However, and as shown in the screen capture, CC does have access to the calibre metadata and can search, sort, and group on it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	475
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	96474
Quote:
FYI it also appears to be incompatible with "Where's My Droid" . I spent two hours trying to get a connection (e.g. manually setting IP addresses) but could only manage it when I stopped the "Wheres My Droid" app.
Thanks for the info. I just tried it and I have no problems connecting. I have no idea what Wheres my Droid does to prevent CC from functioning for you, and unfortunately because it works for me I don't have a lot of hope of finding out.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
Glottalpoly
Enthusiast

I have been trying again - e.g. to make some screen shots. Unfortunately after three hours I still cant get CC to talk to Calibre. I will post what I am doing - basically exactly what it says in the help file. I dont have "Where's My Droid" running now so maybe it was just coincidence that it connected after I stopped the "Where's My Droid" app.

I am not complaining about the $3 - as I said - I would happily pay ten times the price for software that does what I want.

NO I dont expect it to update the PDF metadata within the PDF ! If I want that capability, as per my original post , the option is to export the catalogue from Calibre, then generate batch PDF metadata edit commands for a PDF editor. If I do that - I dont need CC at all because Aldiko etc will display correctly anyway (and whether I use CC or not - I still need a reader on my ereader) !
[See "Option 2" https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1#post2310252]

I am looking for a product that will function standalone on my Droid (i.e. provide read access to books while not connected) and provide the (key) searching capabilities (e.g. by author, by title) that I have in Calibre - WITHOUT having to recatalogue everything. (MUST HAVE). [Ideally ALSO "Subject" search - I have used custom Dewey Subject Classification in several thousand books].

As the books are LARGE PDFs (up to 4,000 pages & technical with images) I have space to copy the library to the Nexus but I CANT duplicate the library on the Nexus at the same time (e.g. copy with CC AND import it into another product) . FYI One book is 0.5GB - which severely drains my 32GB Nexus space !
Old 11-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have been trying again - e.g. to make some screen shots. Unfortunately after three hours I still cant get CC to talk to Calibre. I will post what I am doing - basically exactly what it says in the help file.
If you still want to get it working I suspect more info will be needed. Have you read the FAQ at the end of this sticky post?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
Glottalpoly
Enthusiast

DoctorOhh

As "connection" was a separate issue, and the FAQs recommended separate posts for separate issues, I created :

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=197230
Old 11-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
DoctorOhh

As "connection" was a separate issue, and the FAQs recommended separate posts for separate issues, I created :

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=197230
I saw that and moved it to the devices sub-forum. I'll be interested to hear what chaley suggests.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:59 AM   #10
Glottalpoly
Enthusiast

For future reference should someone search this thread - my (home) network is "non trivial" with separate routers for internet access (DHCP / DNS - default 10.1.1.1) and wireless (default 192.168.x.x). It is probably possible to configure my network to work, but I was keen to actually use CC (!) so I switched on the wireless on my internet router - and connected both directly to that - and that worked.

As an aside, the Calibre -> Preferences -> Sharing over the net -> Test Server function looks useful. It is invoking a browser (with 127.0.0.1:8080 IP ??).

AND that page provides Server & Client access logs. When I have some time I will look through them.