Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
mariel9898
Connoisseur
mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Color, Droid 2 Global
Auto updates on rooted Nook Color

I just rooted my NC. If B&N comes out with an update and my NC updates automatically will this cause problems? If so what kinds of problems? I briefly looked into turning off the auto update but it seems a bit complicated for me who is not a techie.
mariel9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:13 AM   #2
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariel9898 View Post
I just rooted my NC. If B&N comes out with an update and my NC updates automatically will this cause problems? If so what kinds of problems? I briefly looked into turning off the auto update but it seems a bit complicated for me who is not a techie.
Unknown. Because you are rooted, it may not update, it may update but abort the install, it may try to update and not apply cleanly, it might update and you'd lose root, it may cause reboot loops. However, in all cases you could do a reset of your nook to 1.00, re-update to a known version and reroot and then check forums for info on updating/turning off updates. If you do a backup with one of the backup apps or a nandroid backup you could get your apps and data back more quickly.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 02:15 AM   #3
reyluree
reyluree began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Try this:

Required Apps:
- Root Explorer (in market)
- SQLite Editor (in market)

Process:
1. Open Root Explorer
2. Open devicemanager.db from (/data/data/com.bn.devicemanager/databases/devicemanager.db)
3. Select "registry" - this should open up a spreadsheet looking file
4. Find row: com.bn.device.fota.mode
5. Drag over to the column labeled "value"
6. Press and hold "auto" until the "Actions" window pops up
7. Select "Edit Field"
8. Replace auto with manual
9. Select "Save"

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=946969

Should be just as easy to set back to auto....
reyluree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
tlo07
tlo07 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
reyluree-- Thanks for the instructions. They were easy to follow. I have my NC tweaked just the way I like it and I don't want any automatic updates to ruin it!
tlo07 is offline   Reply With Quote