Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Where is the rest of the series!!!

I guess this is just a general rant, but then again, I suspect that many of us have experienced it at one point or another.

I have recently been on a kick of reading that particular downmarket genre fiction known as Space Opera . So last night I was thinking of starting Stephen Baxter's Xeelee Sequence. So I go to Barnes and Nobles and look it up in the ebook section, only to find that only the last book in the series is available. I checked Amazon out and the same thing is the case.

Now, this has driven me crazy in book stores for years when they have the last book in a series (or a middle book) but not the rest. But at least physical book stores have an excuse...

Ok, here end it the rant.

BTW, does anyone know where I can get the early books in the series legally in the United States (as ebooks)?

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited by bill_mchale; 02-13-2012 at 03:16 PM.
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I have found that in the past many publishers are not going back into their catalog of odler books and translating them to electronic format. They have made it a policy that starting on this date they will publish all their new books in printed and electronic formats but nothing before that data. There is no doubt in my mind that this is what is going on here. I would recommend that you talk to the publisher and ask them what their publishing policy is and if they will be publishing electronic versions of older books.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It is frustrating when one can't get the books they're looking for (especially if it's a series and part of it's out there).

That series is old enough [90's] that it's possible the rights don't reside with a publisher (the last one is new enough [2010] that it might be the only one the publisher has the rights to), but with the author himself. Might be worth emailing him to see if he plans to self-pub them or if he doesn't hold the rights he might know if the rights holder has any plans to put them out.

He doesn't have an email address out there, but here's his agent's address (the agent might have a better idea of things anyway)...
christopher@selectricartists.com

Last edited by AnemicOak; 02-13-2012 at 11:39 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I was looking at e-books at the library, and they had books 2 and 3 of a series, but not book one. What good is that to anyone? It's not good for the readers, and it isn't good for the author. If all the books are available, people will check them out more, and thus the libraries will have to buy more.

I'm not inclined to say "The library doesn't have book 1, so I had better buy it," I'm more inclined to read something else instead.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
While I'm not sure it does any good, I always click on the "Tell the Publisher - I'd like to read this book on Kindle." when I come across a book I want to read.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I was looking at e-books at the library, and they had books 2 and 3 of a series, but not book one. What good is that to anyone? It's not good for the readers, and it isn't good for the author. If all the books are available, people will check them out more, and thus the libraries will have to buy more.

I'm not inclined to say "The library doesn't have book 1, so I had better buy it," I'm more inclined to read something else instead.
I would think publishers would be more than happy to have at least Book 1 for all their series in the library, thus creating sales when people want to continue reading. It seems like a lost opportunity otherwise.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
When book 1 isn't in the library, is it because it is unavailable, or because the library hasn't obtained a copy?
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
It's almost always a matter of rights on older works. Rights, and the cost of creating a new version, because older works almost never, ever exist on the publisher's computer any more. So it's got to be scanned and OCRed (and, hopefully, proofed well, but we know how that works out), or just retyped in, and those things cost money. And that assumes they have electronic rights, which they may not agree with the author on the value of.

So it all comes down to money: is the money spent on republishing an old work going to bring in a better return on the investment than the same money spent on a new book. And the answer is all too often, no, it's more profitable to buy rights to a new book, especially compared to a long out of print work by an established author who feels his older works are worth a lot more than a new work by an unknown.

All you can do is try to get hold of the publishers, and the author, and tell both you'd like to see the older stuff reissued as ebooks. If they don't feel it's worth the trouble (or expense), you're out of luck.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
When book 1 isn't in the library, is it because it is unavailable, or because the library hasn't obtained a copy?
For one series I'm interested in, the library only has Book 2. Book 1 is available in Overdrive, so I'm guessing the library didn't "purchase" Book 1. It would make sense for the publisher to give some incentive to the library to have Book 1, as more people would likely start the series, and subsequently buy the newly released Book 3.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
The one that ticks me off is Night World by L.J. Smith. She didn't write the last book to the series, and then the publishers re-released the series and also indicated that Smith was also going to write the last book in the series. I bought all the books only to find out that Smith has now changed her mind and has no plans to ever finish the series.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
The Redeemer by Jo Nesbø. I read the previous two books in the series, and I have all of the rest of them. For some reason they even pulled the printed copies in the US. They have an English version in Canada, I'll probably have my husband pick it up when he is there on business next month.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
There are a couple of authors whom I will never buy another book by because they left a series hanging.

I understand the logistics of not having the earlier books in a series available (rights issues and not in electronic format). On the other hand, they need to understand that unless the series are all stand along books, if they want me to buy any books in the series, they need to have them all available.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
The Redeemer by Jo Nesbø. I read the previous two books in the series, and I have all of the rest of them. For some reason they even pulled the printed copies in the US. They have an English version in Canada, I'll probably have my husband pick it up when he is there on business next month.
Must be some kind of rights issue. His website does seem to indicate it'll be out sometime in 2012 in the US. It is weird having only book 6 of the series not available (in print or digital).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #14
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Must be some kind of rights issue. His website does seem to indicate it'll be out sometime in 2012 in the US. It is weird having only book 6 of the series not available (in print or digital).
I think it may have been an issue with the translation. I wish they would translate the first two books in the series as well. The Redbreast is actually the 3rd Harry Hole book.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #15
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Quote:
You can search Overdrive's website directly (http://search.overdrive.com/) to see if Overdrive has the book, and if so, which libraries have it.

My library obtained a series, and it was missing Book 7 in an 8 book series! Turns out that Book 7 was owned by a different publisher who hadn't made it available to the Overdrive (even though it was available as an epub in stores).

By the way, my library was very helpful and receptive though when I enquired about this issue - if it had been available, they would have purchased it.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote