Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
LadyHeather
LadyHeather began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
do you take you e-reader to the beach?

as the title says, I'm wondering: "do you take you e-reader to the beach?"

Since I just got my e-reader (a Sony PRS-350) I'm still very careful with it (maybe I will loosen up in the future ) and I thought I wouldn't dare take my e-reader to the beach or the pool do to sand and water... but a few days ago I bought an ortlieb document case A6 which is dust and waterproof, it fits my e-reader perfectly and I can even still use the touch screen! So now I'm convinced and will definitely take my e-reader with me the next time I'll visit the beach

How do you guys do it? Just take the e-reader? Any special protections?
LadyHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyHeather View Post
Not in the middle of winter. I can't imagine anything more ghastly than reading on a beach when it's -10C.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I have.

There's a danger but I like to think that eReaders, books and all that are meant to be enjoyed - not locked away protected. I try my best to be extra careful, but if something happens I'll deal with it. Besides, it is a $140 machine, not a $2000 computer.

I just use a really big Ziploc bag as my waterproof case though.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Mine never leaves the house, probably never will. That is what disposable books are for.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I take my K1 to the beach. I have a nice little waterproof pouch from Trendy Digital that keeps it dry and sand free. This time last year I was packing for Australia and New Zealand so the water proof pouch was necessary. (sigh)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not in the middle of winter. I can't imagine anything more ghastly than reading on a beach when it's -10C.
Ha! I'm in New Zealand - we're enjoying long hot summer days, it's the New Year break, everyone is relaxed and having a holiday. Forecast high of 27C today.

My ereader is getting a good work out - and yes, I take it to the beach - sealed in a zip lock bag.

Kiwi summers - you can't beat them...
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
Ha! I'm in New Zealand
Funnily enough, I suspected that from your username and avatar.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
My various Sony Readers have been to beaches in Mexico, Hawaii, Florida and Caribbean (various islands).

I've used either a ziplock bag or a M-Edge Leisure cover.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
The first reader I had went everywhere with me...including the tub, where I dropped it in the water. Now I'm much smarter with my new models, they all go in ziploc baggies
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I took readers a few times, but found out that I'm too busy playing to read. I go stark raving crazy on a nice hot beach!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
yep! also in a ziplock! which is how I take it to the tub as well!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #12
LaurieGator
Crazy Cat Lady
LaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 2i, Nook Color (Rooted)
My reader goes everywhere with me :-) Outdoors, indoors, camping, on planes, trains and automobiles. I bring it anywhere I would have brought a book...

Ziplock bags! Good stuff!
LaurieGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyHeather View Post
Why on earth would I? I hate the beach, I wouldn't take anything there.

But if I were forced to be on the beach, I guess I would rather take a paper book. One of the worst beach memories I have was a windy day, more like a sandstorm, it was already painful and tricky reading a paper book, I wouldn't want to risk my reader there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You could go into the water, it's guaranteed to be 0°C at least (or around -2°C for sea water).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #14
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
My concern besides the sand and water is security. I've never really worried about leaving a real book, be it hard or paper, on a blanket if we all were to go swimming or walking at one time. I would be reluctant to leave a reader alone - too pricey.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
My concern besides the sand and water is security. I've never really worried about leaving a real book, be it hard or paper, on a blanket if we all were to go swimming or walking at one time. I would be reluctant to leave a reader alone - too pricey.
Which is why I bring my K1. Yes it was pricey but replacing it would be a lot less expensive and I have my DXG at home.

Even with that I guess I don't worry about theft too much. I know it happens and that sucks but I guess I would rather have my Kindle with me because I enjoy reading at the beach then not.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote