Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
"Geek Squad eReader Set-Up Service"

This is an interesting premise:
http://www.geeksquad.com/intelligence/blog/

I agree with them, and others, that this actually is a good service. I mean, look at how many questions that've been answered here on MobileRead (some w-a-y more than once!). Sometimes it's true, an e-reader is not necessarily a plug-n-play device - especially when you have to deal with third-party apps (such as Adobe).

I just find it interesting that they are charging $29.99 for the service. Wonder how many people would go that route, versus finding a solution somewhere [else] on the Interwebz.

Or, is this almost a chicken & egg situation: If you know enough to find out about Geek Squad's program, might you know enough about rooting around to find other help - maybe even MobileRead? Huh.

Maybe Alexander Turcic should look into putting a tip jar on the front page or something, given all the help this place has given to just me alone!

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
The thing is why would you spend that much money for a service that you can do yourself with all the resources online?
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
The same reason you would pay someone to clean your windows or take your dog for a walk. It's easier than bothering yourself.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
$29.99 seems to me to be a high percentage of the purchase price.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
lord_blackfang
Enthusiast
lord_blackfang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-600
What baffles me is that there are still enough computer-illiterate people out there to make such a service profitable.
lord_blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_blackfang View Post
What baffles me is that there are still enough computer-illiterate people out there to make such a service profitable.
Well, if it was the only service they offered, it probably wouldn't be, but as just another part of what they offer, it probably is a "break-even" deal. Gives the user warm fuzzies about using Geek Squad and increases the possibility they'd turn to them again for something more complicated.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I know someone who paid Geek Squad $100 to set up their wireless router. I don't consider myself at all savvy with networking, but with the help of 1) my cable company and 2) the router help desk, I got mine set up in half an hour.

She, on the other hand, didn't want to deal with the frustration (it's not like most IT help desk treat users like they have two brain cells to rub together!), so it was worth it to her.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
If they "accidentally" include the DRM removal scripts it would be worth it.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
FizzyWater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
If they "accidentally" include the DRM removal scripts it would be worth it.

I like it.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I immediately wondered the same thing - DRM removal included?
Migrate your ebooks to your new reader?

Set up calibre?

I wonder if we should have an undercover MR "agent" sign up for this service - and find out what they're willing to do?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I wouldn't let the Geek Squad take out my garbage
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #12
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Then you must not live near me! Around here, people know how to deal with their big screen tvs and cable issues, but google searches and routers? Nope, not so much.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote