Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #16
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I think I was kind of saying that with the "limited wi-fi in the B&N store" part.
B&N seems to have added WiFi for the extras you can get while in a B&N store with a Nook, but it is a nice adjunct to 3G outside their stores.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:26 PM   #17
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Hey, I have no problems with wi-fi being included in a future version of the Kindle but for the most part, you can't print Kindle books anyway. If you need to print personal documents you have on the Kindle, wouldn't they be on a computer already.
We're misunderstanding each other. We aren't talking about Kindle books we're talking about Kerry's professional needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delia575 View Post

I want to be able to load (either straight up or thru conversion) PDF articles I need for my job (psychologist)Kerry
"Printing" in this case refers to a method of shifting documents to a wifi connected reader by clicking "print" when you are reading them on your computer.

Maybe you're reading a clients file, a new proposal, a legal brief or a professional journal article from an on-line source, an email or the company server. You want to finish it on the commute or at lunch etc on your reader. you click print and the item is sent over the network to your reader.

You dont have to plug it in with a cable you dont have to move the file to a "shared" folder or any of that. And if its set up well you could use that WiFi to print out the file and any notes you've made about it to an actual printer if you have the need or just share them across the network to your PC or on to someone else's reader.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #18
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post

"Printing" in this case refers to a method of shifting documents to a wifi connected reader by clicking "print" when you are reading them on your computer.
Well, I guess in the Kindle's case, since you're at a computer with wi-fi, you'd just email it to the Kindle instead of clicking "print". The PDF could be sent "as is" or converted to a mobi file. On the whole using the USB cable will be easier and cheaper.

I don't think there is a current ebook reader that meets the needs as you have explained them.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #19
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well Irex DR1000 can. There is/was another I'm forgetting and of course upcoming devices like the Que will.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #20
Delia575
Inexorably Curious
Delia575 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Wow, you guys are really helpful. Perhaps I should just try to hold out until CES to see what new items arrive. How long does it usually take after CES for the devices to be available in stores?

I guess if I had to prioritize it would be 1) good fiction selection for purchasing 2) ability to load library ebooks 3) ability to use/read articles in PDF form from my psychology journals.
Delia575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #21
Dulin's Books
Wizard

well that depends on the company's idea of "launch" for instance txtr (see the news section) "launched" their ereader today but what they mean is they have officially begun taking orders which may ship around Dec 15th. To other companies launch means they are deliverable that day.

1. If you want to purchase from one store then Kindle if you want to buy from Amazon and if you want to buy from B&N then Nook, Que, Irex DR800. If you want to purchase from any of the many Independent ebook sellers then you have a much wider selection to choose from.

2. Most of the Library ebooks are distributed by overdrive.com so just about any reader that supports epub and Adobe Digital editions will be fine

3. well i dont want to be redundant

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 12-01-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #22
Delia575
Inexorably Curious
Delia575 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I checked out your store and looked at the Pocketbook Readers. What is expected to be different on the 302? The 360 looks neat, but I do kind of like how the Kindle has buttons on both sides. I understand I could flip it around...

Is it as thin and comfortable to hold as a Kindle? The kindle is the only reader I have seen in person.

I do want to get the "right" reader. I am not at all married to one particular bookstore. I do like "cheap" so having options on books and saving money is great. I currently download books with overdrive and read/listen on my computer. I'm glad that the readers (except for Kindle unless I use some hacking software that i read about on here) will allow me to get library books.

Your descriptions of the PDF is nice, and I read your daily journal on the pocketbook 360
Delia575 is offline   Reply With Quote