Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 07:46 AM   #1
Argent009
www.kindle2hacks.com
Argent009 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-501/Kindle 2
Kindle 2 Screen Saver Hack, when?

I've been combing the web just about every hour waiting for the clever person who is going to figure this out to post the how-to. So far no luck and I've only seen it mentioned in a thread here and no actual exclusive thread for it. Is anyone here besides me working to try to figure this one out? I KNOW Oscar is freaking a lot of people out, c'mon, someone has to have an idea. Share.
Argent009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I'm with you - I need my family pictures back!
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Maybe the firmware for the K2 doesn't allow the K1's slideshow hack. It's not a screensaver as eink doesn't need one. It is possible a lot of the tips & tricks for the k1 will no longer work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
K2 uses Linux for its OS... I'd be willing to bet that there will be a hack soon.

I asked Amazon in an e-mail when we would have the ability to have custom screensaves, they sent me this in reply:

Quote:
Thank you for writing Amazon.com Kindle support.

Adding your own customer screen savers would be considered an alteration and would void your warranty. The Kindle limited warranty applies only to hardware components of the Device that are not subject to accident, misuse, neglect, fire or other external causes, unauthorized use, alterations or repair, or commercial use.

I hope you found this information helpful. Our goal is to help you get the most out of your Kindle experience. If you need further assistance, please contact customer support at 1-866-321-8851.

Thank you for choosing Kindle. Enjoy!
Personally, I would like to know what color the sun is in their world.

Using their logic, isn't adding books to the Kindle also an "alteration"?

I would dearly love to see what happens if they actually deny someone's warranty claim based on that, they wouldn't stand a chance in court OR arbitration...
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post
K2 uses Linux for its OS... I'd be willing to bet that there will be a hack soon.

I asked Amazon in an e-mail when we would have the ability to have custom screensaves, they sent me this in reply:
{snip}
I suspect they misunderstood your question. Their response refers to hardware changes. I think they were thinking that you were referring to one of those clear plastic sheets that you stick on screens to save them from scratches. You know, something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/iKross-Premium...5787434&sr=8-1
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
I suspect they misunderstood your question. Their response refers to hardware changes. I think they were thinking that you were referring to one of those clear plastic sheets that you stick on screens to save them from scratches. You know, something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/iKross-Premium...5787434&sr=8-1
Well, that's just it...

Read their response again... they clearly were responding to my question, by quoting something entirely inappropriate! It's not that they didn't understand the question, it's that they really don't understand anything!

They appear to believe that they are somehow justified in denying warranty claims based on that sort of "alteration". I suspect that if push came to shove a judge would have no hesitation in disabusing them of that notion...

But in the mean time we don't have custom screen savers.
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:30 AM   #7
Argent009
www.kindle2hacks.com

That's typical of the kind of tech support email responses you get, they're canned responses, nobody really cared enough to actually reply to your question, they just sent out the closest possible canned reply. If putting different images on the Kindle for the slideshow (Screensaver, whatever) voids the warranty it'd be pretty freaking stupid. You can return it back to normal by flashing the firmware and how would they know you changed anything? Nah, those kinds of replies don't mean anything.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #8
Damętas
Connoisseur
Damętas doesn't litterDamętas doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Amazon suggests that there is a way to do it:

"Amazon.com Customer Service does not support or provide instructions for adding custom images to your Kindle to be used as screen savers. However, should you choose to do this on your own it will not void your warranty."

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-com-Cus...x2HTAOBPKHJ0P8

Now, one of you geniuses needs to find out how.
Damętas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:28 AM   #9
Argent009
www.kindle2hacks.com

What is the link for? I saw no reference to this topic in that link, lots of other things but not this. Hmm, well, we keep hunting.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
Damętas
Connoisseur
Damętas doesn't litterDamętas doesn't litter

The link takes you to the quote from Amazon.
Damętas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #11
shima
読みすぎる
shima began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Has anyone figured a way to do it that doesn't require dropping a .bin file in root and updating your kindle to that? The Kindle 1 way was much simpler
shima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:26 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
Has anyone figured a way to do it that doesn't require dropping a .bin file in root and updating your kindle to that? The Kindle 1 way was much simpler
The bin install is way is simpler to me. No alt+z to override the original images. No alt+shift+0 the alt+f for every-single-picture. The process for K2 is faster and simpler.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:58 PM   #13
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I too feel the old Kindle 1 way is better; Not all users know how to use photoshop to dither their screensaver images. Of course, it is even better if Amazon just build real support for customer selected screensavers. The old way is really just easter egg from the dev since Amazon never include how to do it its Kindle User Guide.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote