Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 09-01-2014, 04:57 AM   #1
melaulur
Honorary Expert
melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Galaxy A7
Reynolds, George W.M.: The Mysteries of London 1st series. v1. 1.9.2014

Reynolds, George W. M., The Mysteries of London, First Series, Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, published in weekly serials
from 1844 to 1846.

The text of the present edition of the first series is based on the online version published by victorianlondon.org and contains the first two of four volumes in two series written by Reynolds between 1844 and 1848. Hundreds of typing errors have been corrected.

Excerpt:

"Oh! my God -- he is dying!" exclaimed Kathleen: "ring for aid -- for the physicians --"

"No -- no!" murmured the Marquis, in a faint tone; and, opening his eyes once more, he gazed around him -- vacantly at first, then more steadily, -- until he seemed to recover visual strength sufficient to distinguish the charming countenances that were fixed upon him with mournful interest:
"no, my dear girls," he continued, his voice becoming a trifle more powerful; "the doors of this room must not be opened again so long as the breath remains in my body -- for I am come," he added with a smile the ghastliness of which all his efforts could not subdue, -- "I am come to die amongst
you!"

"To die -- here -- amongst us!" ejaculated all the women (save Kathleen), shrinking back in terror and dismay.

"Yes, my dear girls," returned the Marquis: "and thus will my hope and my prophecy be fulfilled. But let us not trifle away the little time that remains to me. Kathleen, my charmer -- I am faint -- my spirit seems to be sinking: -- give me wine!"

"Wine, my lord?" she repeated, in a tone of kind remonstrance.

"Yes -- wine -- delicious, sparkling wine!" cried the nobleman, raising himself partially up on the cushions of the sofa. "Delay not -- give me champagne!"

The French and Spanish girls hastened to a splendid bouffet near the stage at the end of the room, and speedily returned to the vicinity of the ottoman, bearing between them a massive silver salver laden with bottles and glasses.

The wine was poured forth: the Marquis desired Kathleen to steady his hand as he conveyed the nectar to his lips; and he drained the glass of its contents.

A hectic tinge appeared upon his cheeks; his eyes were animated with a partial fire; and he even seemed happy, as he commanded his ladies to drink bumpers of champagne all round.

"Consider that I am going on a long journey, my dear girls," he exclaimed, with a smile; "and do not let our parting be sorrowful. Kathleen, my sweet one, come nearer: there -- place yourself so that I may recline my head on your bosom -- and now throw that warm, plump, naked arm over my
shoulder. Oh! this is paradise!"
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Mysteries of London 1st series vol 1 and vol 2.epub (1.76 MB, 495 views)

Last edited by melaulur; 09-01-2014 at 07:21 AM. Reason: correcting format
melaulur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:14 AM   #2
Gunner54
Bookworm
Gunner54 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Gunner54 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Gunner54 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Gunner54 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Gunner54 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Gunner54 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Gunner54 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Gunner54 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Gunner54 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Gunner54 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Gunner54 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle
Thanks again for more Reynolds! Well done on all the work.
Gunner54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert