Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-16-2008, 06:59 AM   #1
carpetfish
carpetfish began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
hello from hong kong!

Been lurking for a while and thought I'd join! There is so much useful information available here. Thanks to everyone who posted!

Being in Hong Kong I ordered a sony 505 reader off B&H photo and have had it for almost a month. Now I waste even more time reading than I usually do The main reason I got it was because I don't have any shelf space left, and now that I'm looking into new books more I just end up buying the ones I can't find in paperback. So much for that plan!

Anyway - I'm rambling - thanks for all the helpful information and I hope I can (someday) help, too!
carpetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:07 AM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Welcome carpetfish!

In fact, many of us on the other side of the ocean would love to hear more comments about the e-book market in Asia, which we know is significantly different than it is in the west. Your lack of shelf space, for instance, is much more of a problem there than it is in America, say. But as housing prices go up here, that may not be the case forever!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi carpetfish and welcome to the Forum. I got my 505, in part, for shelf space reasons too. But like you I now waste more time reading. Hmmm, never thought I'd say 'waste' and 'reading' in the same sentence.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
spirits
Connoisseur
spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Welcome Carpetfish

I actually have a question. Do you think readers with chinese function will work? I haven't seen much chinese ebooks around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Hmmm, never thought I'd say 'waste' and 'reading' in the same sentence.
Depends on what you're reading =D
spirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:23 AM   #5
carpetfish
carpetfish began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks for the welcomes!

cassidym and spirits: Also depends on what you're NOT reading (eg. textbooks, lecture notes, piles and piles of them) when you're reading ebooks

I have no idea! I looked into the Hanlin and other chinese readers while I was researching but it turned out that it would actually cost more to order one of those practically locally than to have a Sony shipped over from the US (why? no idea.)

My chinese is atrocious and I don't really do much Chinese reading at all (just newspapers, enough to get by) so it wasn't a concern for me.

I think the shelf space problem is definitely going to be much worse in HK, but then again I rarely see people reading for pleasure over here - too busy, too much work, too tired, etc. Might be a product of the hectic lifestyle or that people just weren't brought up to read for pleasure... (I was living in Australia at the age of 5, and that's when I learned to read and subsequently got hooked...)
carpetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert