Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The weather has been nice enough this week to go outdoors in the nice warmth and sun. My iPad would be useless for reading in the park. But my 650 is wonderful. I can easily see what I am reading.

I do sometimes read on my iPhone when I am out and don't have my 650 with me. Also, I do sometimes read on my iPad at home.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #17
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
battery life, too heavy, can't read out of doors or in strong light.
This. Especially reading in strong light. Also, add glare, if you're in the wrong spot.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #18
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'd say quality of the display for plain text. E-ink still wins and front-lit makes it no contest. Next most important would be weight. I can't hold the full size iPad as comfortably for hours at a time.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #19
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
The e-ink reader is superior for reading books. If I wanted to play games, watch movies, or do email, I'd consider a tablet.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #20
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I have no interest in tablet technology.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #21
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Tablets are too heavy, too big, battery life way too short, and useless in the bright outdoors. Ereaders are a pleasure to hold and read in any situation for long periods of time.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #22
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
But why frame it as an either/or proposition? I love, love, love my Kindle 3 for novels and mostly-text non-fiction, and I love my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 for all the PDFs I've accumulated over the years, ARCs, etc. (because extended reading on a desktop or laptop computer has never felt comfortable).
JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #23
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK1962 View Post
But why frame it as an either/or proposition? I love, love, love my Kindle 3 for novels and mostly-text non-fiction, and I love my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 for all the PDFs I've accumulated over the years, ARCs, etc. (because extended reading on a desktop or laptop computer has never felt comfortable).
Same here. I've been using an e-reader for books only, but I use a tablet for reading PDF's when I don't want to be behind the computer. I don't want a 9.7 inch e-reader, because I don't read enough PDF's to warrant such a big e-ink device. Obviously, I also use the tablet for browsing, some youtube and some occasional email, because it'd be expensive to just use it for a PDF now and then.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #24
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Before buying my e-ink reader, I looked at the Nook tablet and Kindle equivalent and I felt like I could see every pixel. E-ink looks more like real paper; much easier on my eyes.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #25
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Obviously, I also use the tablet for browsing, some youtube and some occasional email, because it'd be expensive to just use it for a PDF now and then.
I put Google Sky Map on mine. Just so I could say that I have the galaxy on my Galaxy.
JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #26
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I find e-ink a lot less straining and easier to read in about every condition (at least with kindle paperwhite) than tablets or phones. I also had problems getting "into" a book with tablet/phone before, but I can't put my finger on why. With my kindle I just absolutely love reading on it and have no complaints at all. It is the next best thing to a good paperback book.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #27
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
My tablets are too heavy, difficult to grip, and the screen isn't as easy on my eyes.

Unless I'm reading PDFs -- my tablets do a much better job with PDFs than my JBL.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #28
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopig View Post
I also had problems getting "into" a book with tablet/phone before, but I can't put my finger on why.
Easy. It's your subconsious that sees the tablet as a generic device, and the e-reader as a (valid replacement of a) book. You don't *feel* the same about them. Therefore you can't get into the book when reading on the tablet.

I can't read a book from a tablet or phone either, or from a computer screen. It just doesn't work for me. That my Kindle now has a nice (fake) leather cover that can be flipped open and closed like a book, and makes that the Kindle doesn't just feel like some piece of technology, just makes the experience that much better.

It's all in the feeling you have with the item.

I have the same with playing the organ. It really doesn't matter if the organ is a Hammond, Wersi, Orla, Roland or whatever, but if it hasn't got drawbars, my desire to play it just drops about 80% or so.

Some people even go as far as wanting to only play organs from a particular brand, or even a particular type of that brand, but that's going a bit too far for me. That'd be the same as wanting to read only books in one particular genre, and from one specific author at that.

Last edited by Katsunami; 05-04-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #29
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Too heavy. I use my phone instead to read when I am not using my Kindle.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #30
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I like to read outdoors, there are fewer distractions, and I don't like fussing over batteries.

Incidentally, I do use a 10.1" tablet for reading. I've never had much of an issue with weight. Then again, it isn't as heavy as the iPad (which seems to be what most people mean when they say tablet).