Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
AlexLawrence
AlexLawrence began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Red face Some questions

Hi *,

I have some questions which I couldn´t get answered by reading the Kindle User Guide and searching this forum (or maybe I am too stupid, or the question are too special).

1. Is it normal that it takes like one to two minutes to boot the Kindle up? (not from sleep, in this case it takes only two seconds)

2. Is it okay to just set it to sleep all the time? (instead of powering it off completely) Does the sleep mode drain the battery at all?

3. How come that my powered off Kindle I have in my bag which I´m carrying around gets sometimes automagically turned on? Anyone else experiencing this? Maybe it is enough that the power slide gets touched somehow while walking to turn it on. Kinda annoying.

4. Is it normal that if I click on a book it takes several seconds to open it?

Thanks in advance
Cheers
AlexLawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
1) Yes

2) Yes. That's what sleep modes are for...and presumably it drains the battery a little, but very, very little as it's asleep and e-ink doesn't need juice to display the screen (only to change the screen)

3) You shouldn't put a bare kindle in a bag. But it in some sort of sleeve or do what I do, get a padded mailer for a buck.

4) Yes. The way e-readers have long battery lives is being rather underpowered...
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
AlexLawrence
AlexLawrence began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Thank you very much for the fast response! Regarding 2. I should say that I have an Amazon Leather Cover but the Kindle still gets powered on. I think this is because the power/sleep slider is at the bottom. What do you think?
AlexLawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Alex, there have been many people who have reported problems with spontaneous rebooting of the Kindle when using the Amazon leather cover, especially the one without the built-in light. It apparently has something to do with the metal hinges.

Amazon has been generous about replacing these covers when the problem is reported. You might want to take it out of the leather cover and see if you still have problems with spontaneous rebooting.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLawrence View Post
1. Is it normal that it takes like one to two minutes to boot the Kindle up? (not from sleep, in this case it takes only two seconds)
No, it should only take a second or two to present the screen you left it on - it should wake up, just like from sleep.

The only time it should do a boot up is if you do a forced restart from the settings menu or hold the key over for 15+ seconds.

A 5-7 second hold puts it in what the manual calls "off" but it's more of a state of sleep like a computer uses. I'm assuming that's what you're referring to, from your next question:

Quote:
2. Is it okay to just set it to sleep all the time? (instead of powering it off completely) Does the sleep mode drain the battery at all?
Usually, sleep is all you need. But it doesn't stop background tasks from occurring - some of which are resource-intensive. So yes, it can drain battery while sleeping.

So if you aren't going to use your kindle for several days, you should be sure to turn it off to save battery.

Quote:
3. How come that my powered off Kindle I have in my bag which I´m carrying around gets sometimes automagically turned on? Anyone else experiencing this? Maybe it is enough that the power slide gets touched somehow while walking to turn it on. Kinda annoying.

4. Is it normal that if I click on a book it takes several seconds to open it?

Thanks in advance
Cheers
These definitely do not sound normal, and I agree with DreamWriter that the cover is the most likely culprit.

Last edited by Piper_; 03-04-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert