Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: May 2010 Mobile Read Book
The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne 35 44.30%
Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens 1 1.27%
The Surprising Adventures of Baron Munchausen by Rudolf Erich Raspe 4 5.06%
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas 5 6.33%
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins 5 6.33%
Kim by Rudyard Kipling 10 12.66%
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley 8 10.13%
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe 1 1.27%
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens 3 3.80%
Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley 5 6.33%
The Odyssey by Homer 2 2.53%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2010, 03:53 PM   #31
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Well, let's hope "The mysterious island" by Verne does not win. It's the only Verne story I've read - would like to read another
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #32
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Well, let's hope "The mysterious island" by Verne does not win. It's the only Verne story I've read - would like to read another
Dear Ea, this is not a question of hope. Either you make an enchanting with all the runes at the right place or we have to rally a bunch of braves, a posse, to revert that landslide.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:42 AM   #33
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Opps... well since we missed this little fact in the nomination thread I guess we'll let it stay in the poll.

BOb
The copyright for the 1932 edition expired 2008, september 29th.
I checked it at the US copyright office before giving a nomination...

There are version with commentaires and tomes including the "Revisited" which are in copyright.
But the first one, AFAIK, is public domain.

BTW if someone knows a better way to check copyright status is welcome.

But I'm afraid they're making it difficult to find wether works are in PD on purpose...

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:14 AM   #34
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I just voted and noticed something different. Before I voted, there were full details on who voted for what. After I voted, I couldn't see that. Is there a way to see who voted for what?

P.S.

I voted for Little Dorrit. The poor thing had zero votes.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #35
jmaloney
Connoisseur
jmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
The copyright for the 1932 edition expired 2008, september 29th.
I checked it at the US copyright office before giving a nomination...

There are version with commentaires and tomes including the "Revisited" which are in copyright.
But the first one, AFAIK, is public domain.

BTW if someone knows a better way to check copyright status is welcome.

But I'm afraid they're making it difficult to find wether works are in PD on purpose...

This might be a topic for another thread, but the link I gave earlier here shows that that copyright for the 1932 edition was renewed in 1959, meaning it's still in copyright until 2027 in the US.

As you said, though, it's difficult to determine definitively, so I could very well be wrong about that.

Last edited by jmaloney; 04-26-2010 at 10:28 AM.
jmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #36
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I just voted and noticed something different. Before I voted, there were full details on who voted for what. After I voted, I couldn't see that. Is there a way to see who voted for what?

P.S.

Good question. I'm curious myself.

BTW, I voted for The Odyssey. Go Odyssey! Only 25 more votes needed to win!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #37
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

P.S.

You have to click on the number of votes to see who voted.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #38
Patricia1066
Zealot
Patricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle PW 10th gen, Kindle Fire 7 9th gen, Kindle KB 3rd gen
Its a great selection this month; I am saving it as a list of books I want to read.
Patricia1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #39
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm not sure... but the current voting trend seems a mandate for ole Mr. Verne.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #40
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Yes there is, I have not voted yet and I prepared this for your pleasure and for WTS and kenny. Hi guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vote.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	50538  
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #41
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Yes there is, I have not voted yet and I prepared this for your pleasure and for WTS and kenny. Hi guys.
Thanks! Some folks can always be counted on to come through. You bet your beppe!
Old 04-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #42
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
You have to click on the number of votes to see who voted.
I didn't know that! Thanks, kennyc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Thank you for posting this, beppe.

Maybe, I should start reading, The Mysterious Island.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #43
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:

P.S.

Thank you, John... I felt really bad, when I saw yesterday Little Dorrit had no votes, and I nominated it, and then voted for Frankenstein..
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #44
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I can't see any of the others catching up to it, so I'll start reading it as well.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #45
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I can't see any of the others catching up to it, so I'll start reading it as well.
Not so quick, you two. The Odyssey is only 26 votes shy of a win! Besides, I never got an answer on my question of whether it's OK to do a write-in for all six volumes of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire!