Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #91
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
Kobo Aura HD looks thicker, doesn't it? Better light position?
I believe the Kobo Aura at it's thickest is 11.7mm and it's thinnest is 7mm. The added thickness comes from the added ridges on the back.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #92
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
But, I ask myself, do I need a lit screen ?

Not need exactly but it makes the whole reading experience better, especially on dull days. I have a PW but I don't read in the dark. The light is set just below the level at which it "glows" and looks like a lit screen, then I have the appearance of a paper book but with better contrast than a normal e-ink screen. It works for me.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #93
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
maybe it is my eyesight but i do require a lit reader. the t1 can certainly not be compared to a paper book as sony would have us believe. the constant fidling with the external light to avoid glare irritates me. even in quite well lit rooms i find myself turning light on. maybe a byproduct of the energy saving light bulbs in the house
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #94
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasn75 View Post
maybe it is my eyesight but i do require a lit reader. the t1 can certainly not be compared to a paper book as sony would have us believe. the constant fidling with the external light to avoid glare irritates me. even in quite well lit rooms i find myself turning light on. maybe a byproduct of the energy saving light bulbs in the house
The constant fiddling with the light attachment for my 650 was what convinced me to go with a reader with built-in light.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:17 AM   #95
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Yes, not having a lighted screen irritates me. As I move around the house, continuing to read as I do, I move between areas of varying brightness. When I go through a dimmer area, it is hard to read. Very irritating when I know the tech to resolve this is readily available on most major current-gen e-readers. As such, I must have one in the not-too-distant future. It's just a matter of which one. I am not satisfied with the current models. Still waiting...
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #96
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I am not satisfied with the current models. Still waiting...
So many people are hoping for a highres Sony reader with front light tech.
I would buy one without thinking twice, even though I recently bought the Onyx Firefly.
If Sony truly decides they do not want to give the customers what they want, they might as well say good bye to their ereader department. It would be such a waste. They had a good thing going.

If I were Sony I would try to build the ultimate ereader.
- Highres
- Front lighting
- at least 4gb internal memory
- 1 GHz processor.
- Highly customizable software
- Internal silo for the stylus
- besides the usual 6", also a 7" model

I would love an upgraded remake of the PRS950 aluminum reader. I took the trouble to import my 950 from the States because they stupidly refused to sell it in Europe. I would do it again anytime.

Sony's ereader department seems to be out of touch with what customers truly want.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #97
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1; PW1; H2O
I bought a prs-t1 last year because I wanted to be able to read epub and pdfs. I was hoping the t2 would be high res with a backlit screen and about 30 hr battery life, but the t2 is a joke.

I'm not holding my breath for the next gen ereader from Sony. The Aura HD set the bar pretty high for sony. I can't see sony's next ereader being better than it. I ordered an Aura and I'm selling my t1.
guitarizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #98
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarizt View Post
I'm not holding my breath for the next gen ereader from Sony. The Aura HD set the bar pretty high for sony. I can't see sony's next ereader being better than it. I ordered an Aura and I'm selling my t1.
When your KOBO reader works correctly, you should NOT upgrade to the new firmware. It sometimes breaks things, or introduces new trouble. KOBO's firmware is now good enough, but bad track records warrant caution.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #99
marsian
marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.marsian has never been to obedience school.

Device: prs t2, kobo mini, glo, arc, ipod touch 5
Sony's reader is now like 2 generations behind... I don't think sony will catch up anytime soon...

However if sony came up with a front lit, high res, better processor ereader fast, even it still only matches the generation of glo and pw, I will still probaly gona buy it, since sony is more open than kindle and has much better software than kobo.

But there is no sign of life for new sony e-reader yet. I don't think I will wait until the late 3rd quater for a e-reader that is probaly 1 gen behind the bests. I feel Im about to switch to aura very soon,I don't think I want to be a fan for a player that is not competing...
marsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:23 AM   #100
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Sony has dropped the price of the T2 on the Canadian web site.

On another note, there's nothing worse than that sinking feeling of just having bought an ereader and a much better model comes out a month later. Beware!
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #101
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Sony has dropped the price of the T2 on the Canadian web site.

On another note, there's nothing worse than that sinking feeling of just having bought an ereader and a much better model comes out a month later. Beware!
If you've just bought a Sony T2 then you're obviously not concerned about better readers coming out a month later as better readers have already been out for months (and my PRS650 says years) before.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #102
grooks
Wizard

Even though I have purchased (not yet received) the Kobo Aura HD, I am still hoping Sony comes out with a front-lit reader with some of the customization features of Amazon and Kobo. I would still strongly consider a Sony if it can match the hardware offerings of the current generation of ebook readers on the market. I have always loved the stability of the Sony software but want them to keep up on the hardware side.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #103
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I recently broke down and bought a Kobo Glo, but if Sony were to come out with a front-lit reader this Fall, I'd buy the Sony if the front light worked well and no blotchy colors that plague some Kindles.

I still dream about the 350s having a front-light as my ideal reader.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #104
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I'm trying to figure out what alternate universe I've landed in. Less than 2 years ago Kobo was an international upstart with a single generic eInk reader with catch-up technology and fun colored backs. Sony was the designer brand name with the cutting edge features that covered the small, average and high end market.

Now Sony has one generic model with old tech and multiple colors, but Kobo has cutting edge tech, a range of devices to cover all the eInk sizes AND products for the tablet market.

I'm very tempted by the Aura. If the Kobo firmware history didn't scare me, I'd have already bought the Glo. When my T1 isn't requiring regular use of the reset button, it's an absolute joy to read on.

But even if Sony does put out a lit reader, my experience with the T1, and those stupid buttons on the T2 - I feel the quality on the Sony hardware has gone down enough that I'm not sure I'd want it for the price Sny would charge.

If they aren't going to bother with producing quality hardware with new technology, I wish they'd license their Reader software to Kobo and B&N, and get out of producing devices.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #105
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I was really worried about hating the Kobo Glo too after reading about all the firmware problems, but I decided to try it. I really wanted to wait and see what Sony announced for this coming fall, but if they didn't come out with a front-lit reader, it would have been 6 months I had to do without the light if I put off buying the Kobo Glo until the fall at that point.

I haven't been plagued by most of the problems others have run into, other than the first firmware update stalled and I had to install it manually (file downloaded to the reader, then did nothing until I unzipped the contents and restarted the Glo). That's wasn't too much trouble.

As far as features go, I still think the Sony x50 series wins hands down, including faster page turns even though it's over 2 years old. But I'm getting used to the Kobo Glo's software and the differences. The light really makes it worth it and helps overlook the things that are mostly just annoyances that I'm really used to being spoiled by the 350s with PRS+ installed.

The 350s are still my main reader of choice, but whenever I need a light, it's the Kobo Glo.

Edit: I should add that I sideload all my books through Calibre, and there's no problems doing that at all, it can set up shelves on book transfers once you configure Calibre correctly.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote