Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2012, 03:41 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Isn't this implication that someone in their 70s is an idiot a little offensive? She's just as capable of reading the Kindle User Guide as anyone else, surely?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #17
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Isn't this implication that someone in their 70s is an idiot a little offensive? She's just as capable of reading the Kindle User Guide as anyone else, surely?
+1. Thank you Harry, from a 70 year old.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #18
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Harry & Martyd, if that is in response to my comment, I have done this for my non techie aunt on cell phones because she couldn't remember what to press and it helped her. I didn't imply that anyone was an idiot.
Don't forget, the person in question suffers from memory problems.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #19
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Harry & Martyd, if that is in response to my comment, I have done this for my non techie aunt on cell phones because she couldn't remember what to press and it helped her. I didn't imply that anyone was an idiot.
Don't forget, the person in question suffers from memory problems.

Ok xendula, I get your point.
Based on what I've read so far I'll go with a Basic Kindle, black only. I got mine at Staples. Load it up, set the font size and start the book. All she will have to operate is the on/off button and page turn. From there I think you can observe how much she is willing to learn. Since the OP is close by, I think they can move things along at the right pace.

I guess what I don't like is a web diagnosis of this person's condition.
Good luck Duckie Tigger. I applaud your efforts.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:09 AM   #20
evwool
Connoisseur
evwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Palm M515, Palm VX, Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutraa View Post
If she has age-related dementia -- the disappearing memory you refer to -- it is going to be difficult for her to learn new skills. .
My mum has the beginnings of Alzheimers - thank goodness for the newest drugs available, they are working miracles. She still managed to master the Kindle 4. It just meant re-answering questions when necessary without prefacing with answer with 'Don't you remember? I told you last time...' (I think asking anyone with memory problems 'Don't you remember?' is like asking a blind man 'Didn't you see that chair was in the way?)

A big minus for the Kindle Touch is that it doesn't have a back button and that it's easy to turn pages unintentionally. It's the reading equivalent of being dumped into an unfamiliar desert without a map. Does the Paperwhite have a back button or some equivalent?
evwool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:24 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evwool View Post
A big minus for the Kindle Touch is that it doesn't have a back button and that it's easy to turn pages unintentionally.
It does have a back button - but it's a soft button, not a hard one. Tap the top of the screen to display the menu bar, then tap "<".

Quote:
Does the Paperwhite have a back button or some equivalent?
It's the same as the Touch.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #22
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyd View Post
Ok xendula, I get your point.
Based on what I've read so far I'll go with a Basic Kindle, black only. I got mine at Staples. Load it up, set the font size and start the book. All she will have to operate is the on/off button and page turn. From there I think you can observe how much she is willing to learn. Since the OP is close by, I think they can move things along at the right pace.

I guess what I don't like is a web diagnosis of this person's condition.
Good luck Duckie Tigger. I applaud your efforts.
I am going to have to take it one day at a time. As for web diagnosis, I have to respectfully disagree with you. A little bit background information is necessary to make an informed decision. My main goal was to find out if the one reader (the basic Kindle) that I thought would be a good choice, is easy enough to use. Easy enough to use for a non-techy older person with certain (medical) limitations. All hell would break lose here had I said that mom is maybe XX amount years worse off than her age would indicate. Everybody is an individual with their own preferences, with their own mental and physical abilities, with their own likes and dislikes. Xendulas idea about putting a mini-how-to on the back of device is, for me at least, a great idea. We already do that for e.g. her washer / dryer, so she can remember which is the one setting that works for everything. I never would have thought about doing that to the Kindle.

Decision is made, the only reader for her will be the basic Kindle in black. Now we are going to slowly find out if getting an ereader is what she wants. Only because she said that she really liked it, that it is easy to read, that she wants to start reading again does not mean it is so. I would like to eat healthier, but that does not mean it is going to happen. Who am I to expect that my mom is going to change if she doesn't really want to? At least now I know which device to get her once she says GO.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #23
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If the guide was on paper it might be different. Putting the guide onto the device itself is almost as bad as having instructions on how to hook up your dvd player to the tv appear on the tv screen to read.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
If the guide was on paper it might be different. Putting the guide onto the device itself is almost as bad as having instructions on how to hook up your dvd player to the tv appear on the tv screen to read.
Not really, because the introductory instructions that the Kindle plays through when you first turn it on tell you how to open a book, and the "User Guide" is the only book that's on the Kindle initially. So you really have nothing to read OTHER than the User Guide (which you've just been told how to open...) .

I was just making the point, really, that age has little if anything to do with technical competence. My next-door neighbour is in his 90s, has been a radio amateur for 60+ years, and builds his own PCs from components.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #25
Lutraa
Well Read
Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, K4B, Nook HD+, Galaxy S3
Quote:
As the daughter of an 86 year old father who decided to build, rather than buy, his latest PC this summer (and who retired before his workplace even had computers), I certainly don't assume that to be old = to be stupid. For my own sake, I sure hope not! But if you take the time to read the OP's description of his MIL's condition, you will see that she is experiencing some dementia, which affects short term memory and the ability to learn new things.
Lutraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #26
JohnTRN
Enthusiast
JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
I was kind of thinking along the lines of people like my 78 year old mother who don't WANT to learn tech. She's using her KB3 and now my dad's iPad, has no interest in anything approaching the inner workings and absolutely no desire to learn to do something like texting with her phone. She's no idiot, heck, I still ask her opinion on things. She just has no interest in learning tech.

To the OP, after owning a KB3, a K4 and now a K4NT . . . one of the readers with the keys (KB3 or K4NT) might be a better option. I often bumped the screen of the K4 when I didnt' mean to. I could get back to where I was easily enough, but might be frustrating to the older/non-tech reader. You know, the KISS Principle - Keep It Simple Stupid.

John

Doh, read on down and found,
Quote:
Decision is made, the only reader for her will be the basic Kindle in black.
. Should be a good choice. Hope she enjoys it!

Last edited by JohnTRN; 11-25-2012 at 12:10 PM.
JohnTRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #27
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Thumbs down promised update, not favorable outcome

Well here it is. My MIL is not going to get an ereader anytime soon. At least not from us, and that means nobody else is going to even think about getting her one either. I have to say that it is not a bad thing for us. My wife, and in extension me, has always been the black sheep - it will never change. Nothing we do is ever good enough. Why did you do that, why didn't you do this. If you say that you are going to be back at 2, you better be here at 2 and not at 2:15. Except for all the white sheep she makes every excuse in the book - they are never wrong, even when they lie right into her face, even when she knows they lie, they are still so precious and perfect. She says that she does not want us to do something anymore - and when we honor her wish and tell her she needs to ask someone else to get it done, then it is our fault. As far as I am concerned she can just shove it. The only reason I am still doing anything for her is because my wife asks me too, but my wife is almost to the point that she doesn't give a hoot any more either.

My wife might be the black sheep, but the white ones don't look so white either.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #28
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Too bad...
You could give her a book store giftcard and a booklight. Nothing screams love like a giftcard!!!
If she refuses to use it, you could at least get it back and buy yourselves some books.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #29
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Too bad...
You could give her a book store giftcard and a booklight. Nothing screams love like a giftcard!!!
If she refuses to use it, you could at least get it back and buy yourselves some books.
My MIL can be very difficult to like at times. If she likes you everything is good and we get along fine.. If she is in a mood just leave her alone or all heck will break loose and she has one sharp cruel tongue. It's a roller coaster ride relationship. Her and Hubby clash alot. They are both strong willed people. Right now she likes me again. This can change at a drop of a hat. I've learned to roll with the punches and try to appreciate the good things I've seen in her and give her the space needed when gets mean and viscous.

I agree with a giftcard but I wouldn't limit it to books. You can make a suggestion she get something to read with it but I find people like non restrictions when it comes to these type gifts. Walmart, Target or Amazon gift card is what we give or Visa gift card and pretty Holiday card for the gift card to go in.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-26-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #30
xendula
eBookworm

Blossom, I was thinking book store gift card to kind of nudge her into the direction of reading, since that was the OP's intent, but I agree with you: in general I'd rather not be forced to only buy a specific type of item with a gift card I receive.