Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I need to learn how to do this myself.

I"ve asked several times in the last year and a half for someone else to help change my avatar.

Always.......I've gotten prompt, cheerful, friendly help.

Now......its time for me to do it myself. SO.

What program do I need to download? (free would be nice)

Is there a step by step directions somewhere?

I'm keeping Bill.......but sometimes he needs a new outfit.

Like my current one? NO ONE is gonna get at Bill this way!

Thanks in advance.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Karma for you, desertgrandma, for always being happy to learn new things!

I use photoshop for most of my image tampering (and drawing and painting) but it is definitely NOT free.

Gimp is a free and really nice alternative, but it might be overkill and have a somewhat steep learning curve for someone who just wants to dress up their avatar...

Truth is, it is much simpler for me to make a new avatar for you than explain what to do, but maybe it's because I'm not really good at explaining (or so my frustrated technophobic dad usually tells me).

I'm sure there must be simpler programs out there, and someone else may have good suggestions for you.

In the meantime, I'll be happy to fill any specific orders you may have or answer any specific questions that arise from playing around with any graphics software you choose.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
GIMP is free, and powerful, and, as omk3 said, has a steep learning curve. (I've been working with Photoshop for almost a decade, and I still get lost on very basic things in GIMP just because it's different.) You can get it at http://www.gimp.org/ and there are help files & discussion forums; it's just... complicated.

There are no-doubt other free image-editing software programs that are simpler. But if you have to learn it from scratch anyway, you might as well start with one that has all the features you'll eventually want.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
I think it depends on what you want. There are lots of them already out there on the net, you just have to find them. If there's an image you want to use, there are plenty of programs, both free, shareware and paid, that will let you adjust the sizes. Even the paint program in Windows can do the really basic stuff.

If you want to create one from scratch, it gets more complicate, but can also be more fulfilling if you want to put some time into it. The built in Windows programs (assuming you actually use Windows) is the most basic, with others getting progressively more complex. Gimp is roughly equivalent to Photoshop, but also has a steep learning curve.

For drawing, you may want to look at Inkscape, which is equivalent to Corel Draw or Illustrator. It also has a learning curve, but you should be able to do really fun stuff with it if you put in the time.

Hope this helps.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I use a very old program called Paint Shop Pro 5 (I also have 3). I tired Photoshop but it was too complicated for me and my needs. As mentioned, there are lots of free programs, just pick one and play.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 11:48 PM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I use paint.net when I'm doing something simple and I don't want the hassle of opening a major graphics program.

http://www.getpaint.net/
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote