Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
ac9ts
Enthusiast
ac9ts began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
Jetbook vs Sony PRS300 - Which?

I'm new to ebooks (having read on my PDA) and have been doing my fair share of investigating/reading and have narrowed my choices down to the Jetbook and the PRS300. They are both in my price range. I'll skip the Jetbook Lite because of the battery bump. I like the SD of the Jetbook but am not sure if I'll ever come close to filling it.

The question is; has anyone sat the two models next to each other for comparison? I've seen the Sony but not the Jetbook. I admit, the screen flash on the page turn will take getting used to. I've read there is no flash during Jetbook turns. I'm looking for an unbiased opinion on the two models with regard to actual use (reading).

Thanks,

Tom
ac9ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:35 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I don't have a PRS-300, but I do have a bunch of other ebook readers. I really like the Jetbook.

The page turn button is in just the right location so that I can hold the Jetbook sideways in my left hand with my thumb on the button. And the format support is more than adequate. I've already read several books on it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 12:16 AM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Tom, I'm not aware of anyone who has both the jetBook and the Sony 300.

But I can tell you that I have noticed that jetBook owners have expressed much more enthusiasm for it than 300 owners have for their device.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I don't have a PRS-300, but I do have a bunch of other ebook readers. I really like the Jetbook.

The page turn button is in just the right location so that I can hold the Jetbook sideways in my left hand with my thumb on the button. And the format support is more than adequate. I've already read several books on it.
Agree. I have jetBook and I like it very much. I also tested Sony 300 in Borders 2 days ago. 3 main reasons why I like jetBook more:

- better screen
- folders support
- SD card slot (supported up to 32GB). Some illustrated books need more memory and I don't like the idea to be limited with 400 MB.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #5
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Hey Tom! You might def wanna check out the jetBook Lite - they have it for $149!!!

i just got one as a test run for what im getting ppl for the holidays and im getting my inlaws/parents them for sure. Its exactly the same as the jetBook (minus an MP3 player) and now runs on 4 AA batteries.

The main focus is that the price is just unmatched which is incredible and worth the money if you want a really good eReader.
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
oh, forgot to mention, i actually have the regular jetBook myself, and i know you dont want the bump from the Lite, but it really doesn't make that much of a difference
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
Hey Tom! You might def wanna check out the jetBook Lite - they have it for $149!!!...

The main focus is that the price is just unmatched which is incredible and worth the money if you want a really good eReader.
Well, as I stated elsewhere the other day, I don't think that is exactly correct. The price is only $149 because they don't sell it in a package with what you need.

A battery charger with 12 AA rechargeable batteries will cost $25. A cover or pouch might run you another $40.

So when you add it up, it's in the same price range as other 5" models.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:41 PM   #8
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Well, as I stated elsewhere the other day, I don't think that is exactly correct. The price is only $149 because they don't sell it in a package with what you need.

A battery charger with 12 AA rechargeable batteries will cost $25. A cover or pouch might run you another $40.

So when you add it up, it's in the same price range as other 5" models.
Of course, some of us have these things already, so its nice not to be charged for the sake of redundancy.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #9
ac9ts
Enthusiast

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the inputs. I was 99% on the Jetbook but the only real unknown, and it's a major point with a reader, was the screen. At $180 with free shipping, all the extra features, the free earlight and dual USB cable offer, you just can't beat the Jetbook.

Tom
Old 11-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac9ts View Post
Thanks everyone for the inputs. I was 99% on the Jetbook but the only real unknown, and it's a major point with a reader, was the screen. At $180 with free shipping, all the extra features, the free earlight and dual USB cable offer, you just can't beat the Jetbook.

Tom
If you haven't bought it yet, wait for it to be on sale for $150.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #11
ac9ts
Enthusiast

Sale?? SALE?? When, where, how??
Old 11-19-2009, 08:02 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac9ts View Post
Sale?? SALE?? When, where, how??
Fry's has them on sale every so often.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #13
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Fry's has them on sale every so often.
I see that Fry's don't sell jetBook now but it can be available on sale on newegg.com website.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #14
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
You can get at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $199 - 20% with their coupon.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:16 AM   #15
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
the sony reader does have an e-ink screen, though - the jetbook doesn't. if that doesn't matter to you either way, i, too, have noticed the jetbook owners are quite enthusiastic.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jetbook, prs300