Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Deleted...

Last edited by Blossom; 05-01-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #17
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
That's so stereotypical and not true.
That's why he added the roll eyes/sarcastic smiley.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
That's why he added the roll eyes/sarcastic smiley.
Ah I was viewing on mobile because power was out which didn't show that. Nevermind. Carry on then.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #19
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
A good cover adds to my enjoyment of the book. I love looking at the cover of books like The White Dragon or Intergral Trees before going on to read them. Pretty much for the same reason I enjoy artwork. Also I have an easier time remembering a book by the cover than by the title alone.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #20
kindlefire_lover
kindlefire_lover began at the beginning.

Device: KindleFire
I do believe a book cover sells an e-book. It's the only thing that an individuals can judge beside reading its reviews on other sites.
kindlefire_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozawun View Post
I thought that was cars?
For cars, you take out the half-naked guy and have the hot girl dress in something tight and/or skimpy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For cars, you take out the half-naked guy and have the hot girl dress in something tight and/or skimpy.
Now's my turn to
Old 05-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Now's my turn to
Feel free. In fact, do your worst.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #24
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Feel free. In fact, do your worst.
Nah. I'm too nice and I have two brothers. One who is into hot rods. My Dad is a mechanic. I grew up around those type posters hung everywhere.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #25
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I have to say "Ditto" to those who say a good cover catches their attention. If it catches my eye, then I'll pick it up and check it out. If not, I may just run right past it.

But Illustrators can have their own fans. My favorite illustrator, Chris McGrath has a web site I browse every once in a while. His covers make me drool, as they seem to be a slice out of time in a story I want to read. Because if it's half as good as the cover it'll be a great buy.

Mentally, I know that's not true and I don't get them all, but I still drop by his web site to see who he's worked for lately, them check the book out, just to make sure I'm not missing out.

I'm more likely to want a ebook and a pbook copy of those books, just so his artwork will be on my shelves.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:42 AM   #26
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
For ebooks (I can't remember how it was with pbooks), it makes very little difference to me what the cover looks like in terms of a purchase decision. The thumbnails one usually sees are too small to have much impact, and years of web browsing have desensitized me to attention-grabbing images. I'm usually looking for something specific rather than randomly browsing, and when I find what I'm looking for it doesn't matter much what the cover looks like. I'm going to spend a few seconds looking at the cover, and many hours reading the content.

But there are plenty of people who claim it makes a difference. I just wonder what the evidence for this is. Self-reporting is not a valid methodology for this sort of thing, yet it is hard to isolate the factors involved and establish that what you discover in controlled setting applies to the real world. Probably the best way woud be to publish a book with a set of cover images that are randomly presented, and then observe sales rate of each. But even then I think it would be difficult to distill the rules of success.

That said, it is probably a good idea to make sure the title is legible in the thumbnail image and adopt visual conventions of whatever genre the book will show up in. If it transcends genre, then something more neutral is probably fine.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:20 AM   #27
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
The New York Times recently had an article about the competing book covers for "The Great Gatsby": the original blue cover with the disembodied face, and a movie tie-in edition featuring the cast from the new Baz Luhrmann film.

This got me thinking: do book covers make a difference, especially with e-books?

Despite the saying that "you can't judge a book by its cover", I find myself doing that. When I see a cover that looks as it took all of 30 seconds to design, it makes me wonder, perhaps unfairly, how carelessly produced the contents are if so little attention was given to the cover. And I wonder about that even in the era of e-books, when covers are less visible than before.

What are your thoughts on this?
You took the words right out of my mouth LovesMacs. If a cover doesn't look well done I'd have to wonder if the book's text was any better. I mean if I go in for a job interview and I look disheveled is the potential employer likely to offer me a job? Not likely. And I think the cover serves a similar purpose. It's the 1st thing as a prospective buyer that I will see when I go somewhere looking for a book. It's not a deep hook in that I could still decide (even if the cover does look good) that I don't want to buy that particular book, but it's the 1st thing that piques my interest in the possibility of buying it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:24 AM   #28
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
All you need for a romance cover is a half-naked guy with muscles with a hot girl draped over him. Not much to it.
Fabio made (or is it still makes) a good living posing for such covers so I can't fault you for that thought.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #29
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Yes!
To be honest, I judge books by their covers. It's the first thing I see. I'm more than likely going to open and read the book description of an ebook with an appealing cover. I won't look twice at ebooks with amateurishly-done covers.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The new version of The Great Gatsby is in 3D. That's just a stupid decision. It doesn't need 3D and should not be in 3D.
Do you mean the book cover is in 3D? How have they done that?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote