Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #91
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
People aren't abandoning dedicated e-readers, the market is stabilizing. With tablets, there is always a tempting new model, with dedicated e-readers, the new model is much less tempting: it already does the job quite well, enhancements just make less difference than with a tablet.

The dedicated e-reader market is unlikely to go away. It has too many advantages. My wife's tablet needs to be plugged in about every day. My Kindle 3 needs recharging perhaps once a week. MP3 hasn't driven the CD player off the market, and tablets won't drive dedicated e-readers off the market.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #92
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
As I see that they are offering a "standard size" for e-ink Pearl displays of 9.7" with a resolution of 2400 x 1650 pixels, all I can say is "WOW! - where can I buy one?" ... http://www.eink.com/display_products_pearl.html

Best regards,
Andy
Would you buy it for US$799?
Think there are 10,000 people willing to pay that price?
Plastic Logic couldn't find them.
http://technologizer.com/2010/08/11/que-proreader/

Most eink readers are effectively paperback-class reading devices and the primary content they are used for is recreational reading. Several even have the exact dimensions of a paperback, too. (Sony T1&T2, for example).

Making a bigger reader means a bigger body and more flex which requires more reinforcement which means more weight. The square-cube law comes into play unless you go to stronger/lighter materials (= more expensive).

Plastic Logic has the right idea; plastic substrates and flexible displays are the way to go. But that is still bleeding edge technology and way too expensive because it is low volume. Chicken and egg; low demand because of the high price means a low-volume niche and low-volume niches force high-prices.

The way out of the conundrum is for somebody to keep spending money on plastic substrate displays for higher volume (read: smaller) applications and maybe someday the tech will be cheap enough to sell a tablet-sized high-res reader at a reasonable price. But that won't be soon.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #93
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

Eyestrain is strictly a personal reaction that affects everybody differently so there is no universal statement anybody can assert about it.
As a vaguely general rule, higher pixel density displays will produce eyestrain in less people and on a given display lower contrast and brightness levels will result in less people experiencing eyestrain. (Or eliminate it for some people.)
This is true in my case which I very recently discovered. At Best Buy I was looking at the Kindle PW but found it hazy and slightly out of focus when the light was at level 20 for my daytime reading. Next to it was the Kindle Fire that was difficult and a little irritating to read due to eyestrain. Next to that was the Fire HD --much better-- I could probably surf the web comfortably and read a blog. The next table was the Nook HD and the screen was incredible. Within 10 seconds I had adjusted the theme and was comfortably reading a Grisham sample. No eyestrain after 15 minutes. I believe the Nook HD has a lower lux level (brightness/contrast) than the Fire HD which made it for me easier to read. You may prefer a higher lux for movies, though. The last table had an iPad4 and ... Oh Mama! ... my read of the Patterson sample was effortless.

I don't know the PPIs but my sweet spot is probably somewhere around Nook HD to iPad4.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #94
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I've been pretty much on Kindle upgrade treadmill, but looking ahead, I don't see myself getting a Paperwhite 2. I think by this time next year there will be a tablet that I'll prefer as my primary reading device. Mainly I want to see some shedding of bulk. iPad mini is leading the charge there and I hope others follow with the next generation. At present I'd also miss some relatively minor Kindle reading features that are only found on Paperwhite/Kindle Touch, but I think we'll see more parity moving forward.

Obviously, a tablet can be as reading-dedicated as you want it to be. Nobody is forcing you to enable an email account on there, or install a Facebook app or Angry Birds. 7" tablets are not really big enough for magazines, PDF, etc but they are perfectly fine for reading books and I am ready to get one as my primary reading device once the right thing shows up. The dedicated devices are getting a little too stripped down for my taste. With PW, for all its merits, I miss the audio/TTS, and larger storage of my Kindle Touch.

Last edited by tomsem; 01-07-2013 at 02:55 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #95
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
My take is that the e-reader market is not dead, it's waiting.

For what?

Well, obviously, color e-ink is one thing that's been perpetually on the horizon. When/if the day comes, expect a large segment of the market to upgrade.

Another development that might move a lot of e-readers would be an e-reader with an electronic ink screen that acts much more much like a regular Android tablet, including the Play store. It would probably have to have significantly faster refresh than current e-ink. But it could really be sweet.

I'd also buy an e-reader with built-in Palm Pilot emulation, but I'm pretty sure that's just me.

Really, though, what the market is waiting for is something much better than what they have now, as opposed to marginally better.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #96
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAcheson View Post
Really, though, what the market is waiting for is something much better than what they have now, as opposed to marginally better.
I wonder whether there will be a surge of ereader purchases in a couple of years, as the existing batteries die - not everyone will want to try to replace the battery in their unit.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #97
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I wonder whether there will be a surge of ereader purchases in a couple of years, as the existing batteries die - not everyone will want to try to replace the battery in their unit.
It may be similar to the way most people buy televisions: when the old one dies, and at roughly the same price point.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #98
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, it's not possible for tablets to kill e-readers as there are no such devices as e-readers as e-reader is not actually the correct word.

The correct word is reader. eReader is already taken, so we have to drop the e.
No. Both empirically and because it would lead to hilarious headlines like "Tablets are Killing Readers" or "Who Is Responsible for the Death of Readers?"
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:51 AM   #99
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I have two Kindles and three Sonys, so don't bitch on my parade. Hmmm, I also have a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and a Galaxy Note 10.1, I'm a sick sick puppy.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:58 AM   #100
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Color Eink.... pie in the sky... except for comics and Mags...do not see the point and tablets are better for the two aforementioned; as for text... eink cannot beat it. I read on my Nexus 7, Gzone Type L (android phone), Opus, Sony 350 and PB2360 and still prefer the ereaders by far. carry one with me everyday....

Color eink.... pie in the sky.....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:33 AM   #101
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Yeah, for a front-lighted 2400x1650 9.7" reader with a touch screen and Wi-Fi, I'd pay that. But like I said earlier, whether there are enough people like me to make it profitable for someone to make them?

I don't think so, and the Plastic Logic fiasco pretty much confirms it. High-end tablets like the iPad and Nexus 10 rule that space (and I do intend to get a Nexus 10 if and when it ever gets sold here in the Netherlands, but for reading, it probably still won't replace my DXG).
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:34 AM   #102
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I have a Kindle 3 and since I bought a Wii U I have no need for a tablet, I can forward internet browsing and video services right to my tv with it, in addition to streaming and playing full, complete console games on the pad. My iphone works fine for any minimal computing I may need outside. Personally I have literally no use for a tablet.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #103
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Have you had in the past any of the other Nintendo game console's? How does the WII U compare to the WII or the other DS consoles? I am thinking of buying one and these sorts of opinions can help me decide about the game consoles.

Since reading this thread I have been moving in the opposite direction in terms of TV watching. I have picked up watching some very interesting shows, I rather watch them on the internet then on the TV itself, National Business Report, PBS News Hour, Front Line and shortly Masterpiece (I thought that show was called Masterpiece Theater, however the Theater seems to have been dropped from the name). Seems that I am going to need to find PBS on my TV dial once again.

Its not that I don't care about TV shows such as Honey Boo Boo and magazines such as Vanity Fair and US, its that I frankly don't give a dam. Frankly I could care less what the stars are doing, I could care less whose child is the best looking when paired next to Obama's cabinet picks. The cabinet picks are important they effect all of us and I simply could not care less about the movie stars, don't care of Angie throws Brad out again. I have traded in my subscription to Newsweek for a subscription to Foreign Affairs, more thought provoking stuff.

Last edited by jbcohen; 01-08-2013 at 09:47 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #104
JAcheson
Tech Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Color Eink.... pie in the sky... except for comics and Mags...do not see the point and tablets are better for the two aforementioned; as for text... eink cannot beat it. I read on my Nexus 7, Gzone Type L (android phone), Opus, Sony 350 and PB2360 and still prefer the ereaders by far. carry one with me everyday....

Color eink.... pie in the sky.....
I see your point, but I remember when color displays hit the PDA market. Monochrome just could not compete. (For that matter, I remember when color displays hit the PC market.)

At some point, color will be inevitable. When that will be, I have no idea.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #105
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
US$ 799 would be too much for me.
Make it $499, we're getting closer to the picture.
(Right now I'm considering whether to look at a used Kindle DX or a Boox M92 to satisfy my pent-up upgrade lust)

But I agree, most likely not enough people wanted the Kindle DX to make it viable in the long term.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote