Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Kindle 1st Gen, email and web?

I am in USA. I currently have Kindle DX and Kindle 3 3G. Beside reading. I sometimes check email and news headline with them.
I will need to move to a not-so-nice neighbor for two months. A cheap Kindle 1st Gen may be a good solution. A lot of info regarding Kindle 1st Gen were from 2007-2008, so I think I better ask. Can it check email and web browsing today? Thank you.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I'm not clear what you mean by "not-so-nice neighbor". Did you mean "neighborhood"? If so, what does that have to do with the Kindle's ability to access 3G? Your existing Kindle should still work, if AT&T has coverage there.

The K1 can access some mobile email sites, and web sites, but it depends on the site. If the site is too "fancy", it won't work right. The K1 uses Sprint, instead of AT&T for cellular access.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
I am in USA. I currently have Kindle DX and Kindle 3 3G. Beside reading. I sometimes check email and news headline with them.
I will need to move to a not-so-nice neighbor for two months. A cheap Kindle 1st Gen may be a good solution. A lot of info regarding Kindle 1st Gen were from 2007-2008, so I think I better ask. Can it check email and web browsing today? Thank you.
it is extremely basic for web browsing. EXTREMELY. just take your K3 and keep it close
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
To answer your question, yes, you can use the K1 for email and mobile web browsing.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Just keep a close watch on the K3. No sense in buying another one for a 2 month "adventure."
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert