Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-13-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Which magazines do you read on your iPad?

I've tried a few previews using the Zinio app's explore option, but nothing grabbed me. So I'm looking for recommendations for myself and my husband for our new iPads. Which magazines do you subscribe to or read for free on your iPad?

The only one I'm reading so far is The Economist. It's weekly and offers 6 articles free, but I'm considering a subscription. Since I have a mini I like the zoom feature it offers for increasing text size and the audio which I can play as I read along (or skip reading altogether and listen while I do the dishes or whatever).
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I have read People in the past until I decided not to renew. I currently have Time and Consumer Reports.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I don't read magazines, but if I did I would probably read the New Yorker. The app is good and the content also. But it's just too much to keep up with.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Wired (not free though)
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Smithsonian and The Economist. I might get National Geographic as well
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
Wired, Pop Science, Pop Mechanics, Some aviation mags.
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've tried several via free trial and they have all looked very nice on my iPad3. But to be honest magazines are very light on articles and very heavy on ads, therefore I've yet to find one that is worth the subscription price. Even if they contain 4 or 5 articles, I'm usually only interested in 1 or 2 of them. I haven't subscribed to any print magazines for about 25 years for the same reason. I think it would be really nice to have a system wherein we could purchase single articles from a large variety of magazines for about 50 cents each.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
What about Reader's Digest. Is the download / subscription version the full version you actually buy in the store or will it be missing things?

I'm hoping Santa brings me an iPad Mini for Christmas and would like to know how I could go about getting the Reader's Digest on it and what reader I would need for it, etc. After that, I might look into other magazines but wanted to start with something that is a favorite.

Thanks.
Shykat
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Zinio is awesome and I have gotten many, many, many, many, many freebies off them.

My subscriptions include: Everyday Food, Food Network Magazine, OK! Magazine, Star Magazine (both free for filling out a survey), Nylon, Outdoor Photographer (got it free for whatever reason), Spin, Cosmopolitan (free for whatever reason ), and I usually get one offs and other subscriptions because they give me free credit from time to time, and when something is messed up, they usually give you a free copy of whatever you want.

Reader's Digest is in there too, and I'd highly recommend you use them for subscribing as they're universal. You can look through your stuff on Mac, PC, Android, and iOS.

On Newsstand I have Huffington, Cooking Light, Time (both free because I'm a print subscriber), The Magazine, Engadget Distro, and The Next Web Magazine.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #10
m00min
Connoisseur
m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad / NST / Kobo
How does Zinio work, do they give you PDFs to download for example? I read .Net Magazine on my iPad but currently I'm subscribed to the print version as that gives me access to the downloadable PDF from their site. If the mag was available on Zinio I'd probably switch but only if I can archive the magazine as something readable later on.
m00min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #11
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00min View Post
How does Zinio work, do they give you PDFs to download for example? I read .Net Magazine on my iPad but currently I'm subscribed to the print version as that gives me access to the downloadable PDF from their site. If the mag was available on Zinio I'd probably switch but only if I can archive the magazine as something readable later on.
It's in a proprietary format that opens up in their app which is based on Adobe Air. But the cool thing about the PC/Mac version is that you can print the pages out as you need to. So I have my Evernote and Kindle sharing setup to work with my printer, and can easily send pages over to each. Maybe not a great solution, but at least they let you share.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:20 AM   #12
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I've discovered Flipboard, which collects articles from magazines as well as social media. I'm going use that to sample a variety of magazines for a while.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #13
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I've discovered Flipboard, which collects articles from magazines as well as social media. I'm going use that to sample a variety of magazines for a while.
Flipboard is awesome. I use it everyday.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
m00min
Connoisseur
m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad / NST / Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
It's in a proprietary format that opens up in their app which is based on Adobe Air. But the cool thing about the PC/Mac version is that you can print the pages out as you need to. So I have my Evernote and Kindle sharing setup to work with my printer, and can easily send pages over to each. Maybe not a great solution, but at least they let you share.
Cheers for the info, I might have to have a look at Zinio then.
m00min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #15
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
I'm definitely interested in the Reader's Digest but, after going to the store on my iPhone 4S, it didn't get very good reviews.

Does anyone have that on their iPad or iPhone or Mini? Is it the full version of the Digest? Does it read easily? Did you have any problems with your subscription?
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote