Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #166
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I am Joy and I am an ebook addict.

I can no more resist an interesting-sounding free or cheap (99 cents! practically free!) ebook than I can resist breathing. Neither can I resist full-price books if they sound enticing enough (good author/reviews).

I have about 900 books on my nook (or archived). Probably 1/3 of them are unread as of yet.

My husband says I need to stop reading and talk to him sometime.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #167
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Is he as interesting as a new book?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #168
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I am Joy and I am an ebook addict.

I can no more resist an interesting-sounding free or cheap (99 cents! practically free!) ebook than I can resist breathing. Neither can I resist full-price books if they sound enticing enough (good author/reviews).

I have about 900 books on my nook (or archived). Probably 1/3 of them are unread as of yet.

Congratulations on recognising that you have a problem. That's the first step.

Note that those 99¢ ebooks soon add up. And who knows — they might be offered for free sometime between now and when you eventually get around to reading them!

IMO the best option is to take a break from buying ebooks when your unread pile gets above a year or two's worth of reading.

Free ebooks don't count, of course, which makes it a bit easier.

Make a pledge today. For myself, I won't buy another ebook in June. It's now been a week since I bought an ebook.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #169
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Congratulations on recognising that you have a problem. That's the first step.

Note that those 99¢ ebooks soon add up. And who knows — they might be offered for free sometime between now and when you eventually get around to reading them!

IMO the best option is to take a break from buying ebooks when your unread pile gets above a year or two's worth of reading.

Free ebooks don't count, of course, which makes it a bit easier.

Make a pledge today. For myself, I won't buy another ebook in June. It's now been a week since I bought an ebook.

But...but...:bookwor m: ...OK, _Hammered_ is coming out next month! And also 300 books is not a year or 2 of reading, it is like maybe 6-9 months worth!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #170
Joykins
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Is he as interesting as a new book?
Sometimes but not always! I like to when he starts to get annoying
Old 06-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #171
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But...but...:bookwor m: ...OK, _Hammered_ is coming out next month! And also 300 books is not a year or 2 of reading, it is like maybe 6-9 months worth!
Wow. OK, you have a bit of breathing space. If your TBR lists isn't more than a year's worth of ebooks, I don't think you need worry.

But wow. 300 books in nine months? Last year I got through 160, and I seem to be on track for about 200 this year. But 400 books a year? Have fun!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #172
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

300 books in 9 month... he seems to be annoying quite a bit
Old 06-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #173
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Or be available for ebook borrowing from the library, which is happening with a lot of ebooks I own, and have not yet read.....
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:10 PM   #174
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
There is no truth to the allegation that I have bought more ebooks to read than I have years left to read them in.

If I pace myself, I only have to live to be 132.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #175
pocoreader
pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.pocoreader writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle
(E)Book Addiction

I used to work in the book business (for any Vancouverites out there: Duthie's on Robson & UBC Bookstore.) Books were seductive and I accumulated a lot of them. At Duthie's I had a charge account and a discount, and when I left I was a couple of grand in the hole. At the UBC Bookstore, I limited myself to mostly borrowing books--you could sign them out to read them 'gently.' I eventually made a rule for myself that I would not buy a book unless I was going to start reading it that day. I have stuck to it, for the most part. Now I have a mortgage so it is easier to not buy a book. I have been getting great mileage out of all the free books available for the Kindle and enjoying classic reads. I also use the local library; it has a great, online reserve and hold system. Probably 20-plus years in AA has helped me with my resolve as well--lots of things that used to be unmanageable are no longer a problem.
So, my advice to all you bookaholics out there:
If you have a book underway, finish it before you buy another.
Use the library.
Catch up on the classics--for free!
Only buy a book you are actually going to read that same day.
Good luck and remember one day, er, book, at a time.
pocoreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:02 AM   #176
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
There is no truth to the allegation that I have bought more ebooks to read than I have years left to read them in.

You'd better get a plan B
Old 06-14-2011, 03:19 AM   #177
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocoreader View Post
So, my advice to all you bookaholics out there:
If you have a book underway, finish it before you buy another.
Use the library.
Catch up on the classics--for free!
Only buy a book you are actually going to read that same day.
Good luck and remember one day, er, book, at a time.
Problem is, that won't work for a lot of people...

1. No library here that loans ebooks
2. I don't really care about most classics
3. I can read a book one day and decide to read another book the next day without first finishing that first book, because I'm stuck or no longer in the mood...

And I bought my second book of this year, this weekend. It was only 49 euro cents though

But I'm now hovering over the buy button for an Amazon Kindle book, one that I've always wanted since I knew it was out in book form: the Myst books..
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:20 AM   #178
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
If you can listen to the books like on the Kindle's text to speech you may be able to speed up your reading a bit. Or you could try fitting in some time to read when he's napping (depending on how little he is now). That's how J.K.Rowling wrote her 1st HP book. She'd wait for her daughter to go to sleep and then write so I imagine a person could do the same while reading.
I started getting into audiobooks so that made it a bit easier. He's 2 and naps are a hit or miss but we have a "quiet/nap time" where we just lay in bed regardless and I usually read or listen to an audiobook there. I also read/listen while putting him down for the night and until my own bedtime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Or be available for ebook borrowing from the library, which is happening with a lot of ebooks I own, and have not yet read.....
The only problem I have with libraries is that I tend to be in a mood for a certain book (or at least certain type of book) and there has been many times where a book on my waiting list becomes available but I just don't feel like reading it. I wish it had a "come back to me" option and not just "take it now or get back to the end of the line".
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:44 AM   #179
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
As David Marseilles said to me, "Mortality sucks."
Old 06-14-2011, 04:26 AM   #180
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
As David Marseilles said to me, "Mortality sucks."
But immortality must be rather boring. And imagine your mom and mother in law or even worse your stepmother would be immortal too

Nah. This concept does not do for me.