Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
btobw
btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle 2 & 3
K3 keyboard shortcuts et al

Hi folks

I've put up a list of K3-specific keyboard shortcuts and some other tips at http://bit.ly/k3shortcuts.

If you want to keep a copy of them as a book on your Kindle, you can download them as a mobi file (complete with TOC and 'chapter' markers) or as a simpler AZW, direct from you Kindle. The files themselves have links so you can check the website for updates and download updated files from within the 'book' on your Kindle.

This is a work in progress, so further updates are likely. It represents the accumulated knowledge of Kindle users everywhere, so feel free to copy or otherwise use the list as you see fit
btobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:59 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Hi this sounds good but could you please provide the full URL too as many people are wary of just clicking on a shortie link when they don't know where it will take them cheers .
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:02 AM   #3
btobw
btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
Hi this sounds good but could you please provide the full URL too as many people are wary of just clicking on a shortie link when they don't know where it will take them cheers .
No problem

http://blog.diannegorman.net/2010/09...ortcuts-et-al/

Edit to add: the bit.ly URL is easier if you're accessing the page from the K3 (so you can download the mobi/azw directly onto the Kindle).

Last edited by btobw; 09-09-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:51 AM   #4
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Btobw; thank you. I put the link on my Kindlebrowser-downloaded the mobi- it works like a charm.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
Shibito
Shibito began at the beginning.

Device: none
Very nice. Thanks.
Shibito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:16 AM   #6
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
Many people are silly; URLs are pretty much arbitrary. thislinkwill.killyourpc.ru could be just as safe, or as harmful, as blog.diannegorman.net (no offense, Dianne).

ps: thanks for the shortcuts!
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Excellent work

Thanks for this product. It is excellent.

Moderators, PLEASE make this a Sticky. Everyone needs it.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
btobw

The K3 shortcuts are now up to ver 1.6 if anyone wants to update their files. I'm glad some of you are finding them useful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flandroid View Post
Many people are silly; URLs are pretty much arbitrary. thislinkwill.killyourpc.ru could be just as safe, or as harmful, as blog.diannegorman.net (no offense, Dianne).
I didn't take offense at either the request for a full URL or the suggestion that my mostly unused blog is a nest of internet nasties
Old 09-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
simonz
simonz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks! I downloaded the .mobi version and put on my K3. Nice resource.
simonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
wurzel
wurzel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
brilliant - many thanks
wurzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #11
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by btobw View Post
...I've put up a list of K3-specific keyboard shortcuts and some other tips at http://bit.ly/k3shortcuts....
Thanks! I especially appreciate the shortcut that lets you copy text into the search box instead of re-typing it. I frequently look stuff up on Wikipedia while I'm reading, and this will be a much easier way!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by flandroid View Post

ps: thanks for the shortcuts!
There have been occasions on MR when people used a tiny url link that went someplace other than where it was purported to go. So @TheKindleWorm is correct to advise using a full url. I don't think he was complaining, just giving friendly, good advice.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #13
btobw

For those interested, the K3 shortcuts and tips have just been updated to ver 1.8. Added since ver 1.7:

- explanation of how to jump to author or title from home screen
- explanation of the ways you can add books to collections
- list of keys available when viewing pics in a photo album
- how to remove books from the K3 and/or permanently delete them from archives

plus a couple of small odds and ends.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #14
btobw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Thanks! I especially appreciate the shortcut that lets you copy text into the search box instead of re-typing it. I frequently look stuff up on Wikipedia while I'm reading, and this will be a much easier way!
Copying text into the search box is my very favourite shortcut. It's great for when you can't remember to who a character is (which happens to me a lot!).
Old 12-26-2010, 09:42 PM   #15
btobw

As it may be useful to new K3 owners, I'll bump this post and add that we're now up to Version 1.10.

Ver 1.9 added:
- a section on the web browser
- a new summary table of just the keyboard shortcuts (which is what I originally set out to write, but it sort of grew ...)
- expanded info on the picture album viewer
- assorted small additions which can be found by searching the web page and/or document for '1.9'

In Ver 1.10 there are additions on creating a `book' of web bookmarks for easier access to the web browser, and what to do when the Collections options are greyed out.

http://bit.ly/k3shortcuts or http://blog.diannegorman.net/2010/09...ortcuts-et-al/