Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-15-2009, 09:17 AM   #31
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I just bought an ADDITIONAL crapload of titles from Fictionwise, which also qualified me for an extra 10% discount.

Rather than naming each individual title, let me do it this way:

1) Ten more Shell Scott detective novels - Richard S. Prather. This is some of the most enjoyable and politically INCORRECT mysteries you'll find. And what a joy they are to read. I now have almost every one of these in ebook format. Great reads from the 1950s on into the 80s. Highly recommended if you like your detectives with a large libido, as I do.

2) Missing Mom - Joyce Carol Oates. I have over 80 of her books in First Edition Hardback. I think she's deserving of the Nobel Prize in Literature, and I hope she wins before she does an "Updike" on us.

3) Wild Nights!: Stories about the Last Days of Poe, Dickinson, Twain, James, and Hemingway - Joyce Carol Oates. This sale was a time to pick up almost all the Joyce Carol Oates I was missing from Fictionwise.

4) Dear Husband - Joyce Carol Oates newest collection of short stories. I highly recommend Oates, especially if you like your literary fiction "dark." She explores the neuroses and psychoses in her characters lives and the result is not "touchy-feely" fiction.

5) Shiva and Other Stories - Barry Malzberg. This is a great science fiction writer who tried to break away from the label of the gutter(ized), pulp-filled world of SciFi. This is also the great author who brought words like "masturbation" and also sexual insight into astronauts' lives.

6) The White Tiger - Aravind Adiga. This is the winner of the Man Booker Award Prize for Best Novel. I've heard some great things about this book.

7) Olive Kitteridge - Elizabeth Strout. This novel (in a series of related short stories), just won the Pulitzer Prize for Best Novel of 2009. I'm looking forward to reading this one - and soon!

Well, that's my list.

Where's yours, Bwana?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #32
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I read Wild Nights earlier this year - it's a fantastic tour de force of Oates writing in 4 different styles & voices - highly recommend it to top your TBR list!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:21 PM   #33
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

6) The White Tiger - Aravind Adiga. This is the winner of the Man Booker Award Prize for Best Novel. I've heard some great things about this book.

7) Olive Kitteridge - Elizabeth Strout. This novel (in a series of related short stories), just won the Pulitzer Prize for Best Novel of 2009. I'm looking forward to reading this one - and soon!

Well, that's my list.

Where's yours, Bwana?

Don
I really enjoyed The White Tiger - it wasn't my personal vote from the Booker shortlist, but I wasn't unhappy that it won at all. Plus I love a good unreliable narrator.

And I just read Olive Kitteridge last week and some of the stories are exceptional - good reading

I did give in last night and bought a few more:

The Food of a Younger Land by Mark Kurlansky

Censoring an Iranian Love Story by Shahriar Mandanipour

Drood by Dan Simmons

The House at Riverton: A Novel by Kate Morton

Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives by David Eagleman
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:41 PM   #34
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
From Amazon, ordered a couple of gemstone prospecting pbooks.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:23 PM   #35
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I made my first ebook purchase last night over at diesel: Sunstorm by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter, the second of their Time Odyssey series. I really enjoyed the first book, Time's Eye, a story set in the near future with Alexander the Great and Genghis Khan as supporting characters. It was probably the best work of Clarke's in the last 20-odd years of his career, though I'm a sucker for anything messing with time.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:19 AM   #36
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I made my first ebook purchase last night over at diesel: Sunstorm by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter, the second of their Time Odyssey series. I really enjoyed the first book, Time's Eye, a story set in the near future with Alexander the Great and Genghis Khan as supporting characters. It was probably the best work of Clarke's in the last 20-odd years of his career, though I'm a sucker for anything messing with time.
I loved the first book and I finished Sunstorm a couple of weeks ago and it was quite good and pretty different to Times Eye. I started reading the 3rd book, FirstBorn, yesterday. Its been a good series, lets hope it has a big finish
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:40 AM   #37
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
For me in the last 7 days (all @ fictionwise):

Use of Weapons [A Culture Novel] by Iain Banks

Star Trek: The Original Series: Star Trek Movie Tie-In by Alan Dean Foster

The NPR Curious Listener's Guide to Classical Music by Tim Smith
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:35 AM   #38
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
So far I'm thoroughly enjoying "Star Trek: The Original Series: Star Trek Movie Tie-In by Alan Dean Foster" but, while it's there, the Table of Contents functionality doesn't work when you attempt to reference it. I have to go back to the beginning of the book, jump a few pages to get to the ToC.

Just a slight annoyance but when you're reading on different devices and need to move around, it would be nice if it worked as it's supposed to.
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #39
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Bought the first two Maggie Sefton Knitting Mysteries: Knit one, Kill Two, and Needled to Death. I'm out of Rewards at BoB and Diesel hasnt' gotten around to crediting me for the bundle I submitted...
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:22 PM   #40
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Bought the first two Maggie Sefton Knitting Mysteries: Knit one, Kill Two, and Needled to Death. I'm out of Rewards at BoB and Diesel hasnt' gotten around to crediting me for the bundle I submitted...
I've been tempted to try some of these knitting mysteries that are out there, got a recommendation?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:56 PM   #41
rampo
rampo began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Kindle1
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen & Seth Grahame-Smith
The Night Gardener by George Pelecanos
Botchan by Natsume Soseki
rampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:23 PM   #42
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertold View Post
I just bought "The Lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch, because I buy anything George R.R. Martin recommends. Haven't gotten a dud yet.
That was a terrific book. It was loaded on the second-hand Sony reader that I bought last year and I put off registering the device until I had finished reading it! I want to get the sequel, but haven't done so yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I just got a new device, and Fictionwise is enticing me with micro savings, so I bought:

2. On Basilisk Station, recommended by GRRM--I like his recommendations too.
Did you really buy On Basilisk Station? It's one of the free books at Baen's site. http://www.webscription.net/pc-304-1...k-station.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampo View Post
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen & Seth Grahame-Smith
I have heard many good things about this book, so it's on my wishlist for now.

Now this is what I've bought in May:

On May 2, I bought a bunch of multi-format books at Fictionwise:
  • Fracture by Roxanne Smolen
  • Milford Spitz and the Very Fast Machine by James S. Hoch
  • Tornado Bait (A Tina Anderson Mystery #1) by Amy Eastlake
  • In Over My Head (Chesapeake Conference Center Mystery Series Book 1) by Diane Marquette
  • The Secret Portrait (Fairbairn/Cameron Mystery Series Book 1) by Lillian Stewart Carl
  • Sten (Sten Series #1) by Allan Cole & Chris Bunch
  • What Thin Partitions (The Hilarious Misadventures of Ralph Kennedy Book 1) by Mark Clifton
  • Runner's Moon: Jebaral (Book 1) by Linda Mooney
I'm trying out a couple of new series and I hope that they tempt me to get the rest of the books.

And, from Amazon, I've picked up:
  • Once Bitten, Twice Shy by Jennifer Rardin (free)
  • Weapons of Choice by John Birmingham (free)
  • Elric: The Stealer of Souls by Michael Moorcock (free)
  • Joy's Life Diet by Joy Bauer
  • The Huntress by Shiloh Walker (free)
  • The Second Ship (Rho Agenda: Book One) by Richard Phillips
  • The Merchant of Death (Pendragon, book one) by D J McHale (free)
So far this month, I've spent more money at Fictionwise than at Amazon. It makes up for how much I spent last month when a couple of the series that I follow brought out new books and I just *had* to have them.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:22 AM   #43
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I've been tempted to try some of these knitting mysteries that are out there, got a recommendation?
Maggie Sefton's one of the best. I want to also try the Betty Hechtman crochet one but I can't find it anywhere.
The Maggie Sefton made ME want to learn to knit, and I've tried it and decided to stick with crochet - if that tells you anything.
Debbie Macomber also has a series featuring knitting and a knitting shop. It's not so much mystery, but it's not exactly romance either - The Blossom Street books. They're more novels, I guess?
There are a few more knitting mystery series, but I haven't gotten around to them yet.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:06 AM   #44
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Maggie Sefton's one of the best. I want to also try the Betty Hechtman crochet one but I can't find it anywhere.
The Maggie Sefton made ME want to learn to knit, and I've tried it and decided to stick with crochet - if that tells you anything.
Debbie Macomber also has a series featuring knitting and a knitting shop. It's not so much mystery, but it's not exactly romance either - The Blossom Street books. They're more novels, I guess?
There are a few more knitting mystery series, but I haven't gotten around to them yet.
I didn't know the Blossom street books were about knitting. I'll try Maggie Sefton then
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #45
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I didn't know the Blossom street books were about knitting. I'll try Maggie Sefton then
Let me know how you enjoy them