Old 12-02-2009, 03:19 AM   #1
CVanLoos
CVanLoos began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
FCC trouble?

Hello,

I am also eagerly awaiting my Nook. Yesterday I stumbled across this link:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/mobile-gadgeteer/?p=2221

I am not knowledgeable about FCC regulations, but could it be B&N is in trouble? What is SAR testing? Any experts here who can shed their light on this?

Cor
CVanLoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:06 AM   #2
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
That SAR should be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_absorption_rate

Last edited by Jonas777; 12-02-2009 at 04:07 AM. Reason: URL syntax
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
UnseenLlama
UnseenLlama began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
SAR testing is just showing how much radiation is coming off of a device...mostly used in cell phone tests. Because the nook has a mobile radio on it, it needs to be tested the same way.
UnseenLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
rwizard
Connoisseur
rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone, waiting for reviews on the Notionink Adam
I think lawsuit issues are more likely than this since the last correspondence between B&N and the FCC apears to have been B&N giving the FCC what they requested on 11/10/09. But it is the government, so maybe it is still being processed. If so, I am sure they will finish processing the request in the next 6 to 12 months or so
rwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:27 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I don't know anything about FCC processes, but FCC ID 'XHHBNRZ100' Correspondence now includes a December 2nd e-mail from the FCC which says:
Quote:
RF exposure analysis exhibit submitted 11/10/09 appears to be inconsistent with 47 CFR 2.1093(d)(5), i.e. 30 min. time-averaging not applicable; in future TCB please ensure all submitted exhibits are appropriate. Please revise accordingly, explicitly ensuring to address all items in 11/4/09 FCC corresp.

The items indicated above must be submitted before processing can continue on the above referenced application.
Each round of emails seems to take 3-4 weeks, so it isn't looking good for the Nook appearing in time for Christmas.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
I'm no longer really sure the FCC correspondence is related to the delays, now that I've read a bit more on the FCC filing and the correspondence.

While it sounds like they are talking about getting the device authorized, that has already happened. You can track down the information and even see the authorization grant via the FCC website as well, since the FCC ID can be used to search for the grant.

What is really going on here is that apparently B&N submitted its SAR information in a format that the FCC doesn't like. A group like the FCC wants everything reported the same way, so you can actually do a quick at-a-glance comparison. It makes their jobs easier. It's looking like the correspondence is about getting this information to the FCC in the right format.

The paragraphs about 'denying the authorization' looks to be part of a standard form, and isn't surprising. If a company doesn't respond after a month or so, the FCC has to assume they either can't or won't respond, and can revoke the grant.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote