Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Problems converting Word docs

I have many Word docs I want to convert. For some reason, when I saved them as RTF in Open Office (I use Open Office on a Mac) then transferred them using Calibre, the font was tiny. Would I be better saving them as PDF rather than RTF? Or if I make the font bigger before I convert it, would that work? If so, how much bigger?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
html is your best bet and use the calibre base font size option
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
The way I used to make documents readable on Sony, using Word, was to copy and paste into Word (if in another format); select all, then justify; select all again if necessary, then change the font size to between 16 to 20 pts, depending on the font and your preference.

On menu: file - properties, in the property box name the file as whatever you want to show up on the reader, same for author etc; click OK.

Then save as an rtf file.

If you want something more sophisticated, make a Word template, as I've done. Measure the reader screen: roughly 3.5x5inches or 9x12.3cm, then set up the page in that size and set the margins and paragraph indents/spaces as desired. Set the font size to one you prefer (N.B. it looks much larger in Word than it does on the reader so you may need to experiment a few times and reset the template). Then save as a template (in the save as drop down box). Name something like "ereader format".

Then anytime you want to save a file for the reader just open the template and paste it in. Save as rtf.

Hope that makes sense.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
Valwit
Enthusiast
Valwit began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Inkpad3Pro
i use open office, and save as pdf - this way i can read it with lucida grande - my favourite font dimensions are 91.3mm x 122.4 mm, margins are set to 0, fornt size is 7 (i like this size, you can bigger letters of course)
Valwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
As long as the size is roughly in the region of the dimensions of the sony screen, it works.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert