Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-19-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
DelennDax7
DelennDax7 began at the beginning.

Device: eReader Pro 3.0.3fp & Calibre
Separating PDB from ePub & more

I've been working on correcting all the metadata for all my books for awhile now. No, I don't have a gigantic library, I just have a gigantic inability to fully understand how Calibre works! *sigh* Okay, I have 216 ebooks, half in ePub, half in PDB formats. Some books are listed twice meaning that 1 says it's ePub, the other says it's PDB. MOST are listed once & have both listed in the metadata section.

I would like to export all the PDBs SEPARATELY so that I can upload them in my preferred reader on my PC Desktop. I use eReader Pro from www.ereader.com. I finally have successfully managed to embed all the metadata into all the books. And I can successfully tell it to save all the PDB books to disk. (I know how to tell it to do that..I'm only assuming that it did it correctly.) Even though I see all of the books successfully saved, I still get a message saying that there are too many to unpack. Huh?? Also, I just tried saving 1 book & it still said there were too many to unpack.

Anyhow, so I close Calibre & then open eReader Pro. I add all the PDB books I saved to a single directory. But, where are the authors?? And also, the book titles are cutoff for the ones with longer titles. Before I even downloaded Calibre and began using it, eReader Pro listed the entire titles & authors....the metadata wasn't correct but it correctly included all the words that the author had put into the titles. (For example, an author named the ebook file something like this: "Microsoft Complete *the book title* So, that's why I wanted to correct all the metadata....having the incorrect titles just bugged me!

So, what on Earth happened from Calibre to eReader Pro? And why are some books combined with ePub & PDB, and others are not? I don't think I want to use the "Remove Books" button cause it says in the manual that it permanently deletes the book. I don't want anything to be gone, I just want to separate them.

Okay, also, I DO have a Sony eReader..an older one, not a brand spankin' new one. So, that's why I want to have both formats. PDB's for eReader Pro & ePubs for the Sony. Well, guess what? About 10 books are missing their covers after I add all the corrected ePubs to Sony!

Any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks! ~Dax
DelennDax7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:48 AM   #2
DelennDax7
DelennDax7 began at the beginning.

Device: eReader Pro 3.0.3fp & Calibre
FYI, when I said that about 10 cover are missing once I added the ePubs to Sony..that's not accurate..I haven't hooked up the Sony eReader to do anything with it yet. I meant the Desktop Barns & Noble Reader Library.
DelennDax7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2014, 06:14 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@DelennDax7 - first you can Merge the PDBs and EPUBs into one 'book', sort them on title and author, select a pair of lines in the Book List and press 'M'.

You could create a Virtual Library for the PDB's with this search term

Code:
formats:"=PDB"
Then you could use the Save to Disk feature within that virtual library to save all the PDB's to wherever.

But, why do you have to move the PDB's. I am not familiar with eReader Pro and I'm not sure I've ever seen a PDB - so the following is guesswork, and assumes you're using Windows.

Assuming you can associate the PDB file type with eReader Pro (double click a PDB in Windows Explorer, if it asks how to open, Browse to eReader Pro.exe and select it), then uncheck PDB in the Preferences->Behaviour->Use internal viewer list for: list.

Now, when you view the book from within calibre (press 'V') and select the PDB format the eReader Pro program should spring to life showing the current book.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote