Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Exclamation Book title problem

After a lot of headscratching I have now found that it's possible to have a Book Title that prevents the book from being opened on the Glo.

My problem came with Charles Kinglsey's book - Westward Ho! I eventually realised that it was the title that stopped me from being able to display a kepubised version of the book.

Removing the ! solved it. I suspect that the real issue here is that the book title is used to generate the file name and although it is possible to include the ! in the filename for some reason the Kobo viewer chokes on it and won't open it although the cover page displays perfectly.

There may be other characters that give the same effect, it's a matter of being aware.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Good find. Thanks for sharing.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
After a lot of headscratching I have now found that it's possible to have a Book Title that prevents the book from being opened on the Glo.

My problem came with Charles Kinglsey's book - Westward Ho! I eventually realised that it was the title that stopped me from being able to display a kepubised version of the book.

Removing the ! solved it. I suspect that the real issue here is that the book title is used to generate the file name and although it is possible to include the ! in the filename for some reason the Kobo viewer chokes on it and won't open it although the cover page displays perfectly.

There may be other characters that give the same effect, it's a matter of being aware.

BobC
The exclamation mark can be a special character in Unix/Linux (bash uses it for history expansion) -- I have very unfond memories of removing files with !'s in their name by escaping the ! (rm Don\!t Delete This File for example). Given the Kobo is a linux device, issues with a ! (bang) in a filename is not surprising.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:54 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I had a play and the exclamation mark only causes issues for kepubs. The fix in the driver is simple. I've reported an issue on Joel's driver with the fix.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I had a play and the exclamation mark only causes issues for kepubs. The fix in the driver is simple. I've reported an issue on Joel's driver with the fix.
Thanks for looking further into this - with it being kepub only I expect that is why the problem hasn't been noticed before, also there aren't all that many books with ! in the title (or author's name).

BobC
Old 03-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
New version pushed up to Github, enjoy!
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
BobC
Guru

That certainly solved the issue with the bang. I now seem to have hit the same problem with one of Victor Hugo's books - Les Misérables. Get rid of the accent and change the title to Le Miserables and all is fine.

It appears the Kobo viewer is unhappy with accented characters - at least it doesn't give up on apostrophes though like a reader I have used in the past.

I have my books on an SD card and the accented version does display correctly in the bookshelf along with its cover but when you try to open it that's when the error messages occur.

BobC
Old 04-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
What OS are you running? I have Les Misérables in my library and despite the title being "Les Misérables" the file system name is "Les Miserables". It gets transferred to my Glo without the 'é' as well. I wonder if that's yet another Windows oddity?

Did I ever mention how much I hate Windows?

EDIT: To be clear, I have Windows running and calibre does not save books with accented characters.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:43 AM   #9
BobC
Guru

I obviously jumped to a conclusion without full investigation. I'm running XP and I now cannot re-create the original problem.

I had made the assumption because changing the title had given me a usable copy and all the symptoms were the same as with "Westward Ho !".

I have changed the Title back to use the accented "e" and re-built the EPUB, transferred that and everything works. As you say the filesystem name, both in windows and on the Glo uses unaccented characters.

There must have been some other problem with the original file that triggered the error but as I have now done a couple of edits to it (I think mainly to the metadata and updated in Calibre rather than a clean-up using Sigil but can't honestly be certain) I doubt if I will ever discover what the problem was.

Thanks for setting me back on the right track - I did think it a bit odd that the accented problem had caused a problem and not been noted before.

BobC

Tags
filenames