Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #16
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5
Hi everyone,
This is the first I've heard of Kobo.
Do I understand correctly from your posts that it is possible to purchase ebooks from Kobo without a US billing address?
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #17
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Foreign currency conversion will ALWAYS incur a fee. Some companies charge an explicit fee; others do so in the form of a less favourable exchange rate. But there will always be a charge one way or the other.
This particular fee isn't for currency conversion, it's for international transactions regardless of the currency used. Many companies started charging them within the past couple of years. In this particular case, Kobo is a Canadian company doing business in the US, but they process all their transactions through a Canadian bank, hence the fee.

If I'm not mistaken, all Visa transactions have the fee, but whether (or how much of it) is covered by the issuing bank or the customer varies depending on the issuer. Don't know about MC or Amex because I don't use either of those.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #18
LadyLou
Enthusiast
LadyLou doesn't litterLadyLou doesn't litter

Device: Sony Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedwig View Post
Hi everyone,
This is the first I've heard of Kobo.
Do I understand correctly from your posts that it is possible to purchase ebooks from Kobo without a US billing address?
Hi, I am in the UK and purchased a book from KOBO yesterday with a UK debit card - no extra charges showing yet.
LadyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #19
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLou View Post
Hi, I am in the UK and purchased a book from KOBO yesterday with a UK debit card - no extra charges showing yet.
My charges didnt show up right away. There was about a day or two lag before they showed. They are dated for the same day, however.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #20
Fabienne
Fabienne began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Kobo charges CND and my bank account is in euro, consequence : my bank charges me conversion fees, just like any other purchase in a currency that is not euro.
That's the rules...
The problem is that Kobo only lets you buy books one by one, meaning each book will generate one transaction, and one set of fees... since the fees include usually a fixed part + %, to have as many fees as books is really sad ...

however Kobo is the only ebook store that i have found, where i can buy books
- for my sony reader
- in english
- without using a US-address-credit-card (or UK address in UK e-stores...)
because i don't have those cards and cannot have one because i'm definitely resident elsewhere ..... which means i'm not welcomed to buy from US/UK stores
so thank you to Canadians for allowing us non-english countries residents to buy books in english
Fabienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #21
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's my issue - KOBO is not charging me a fee, my bank is. Kobo does not charge me CND because their US site is all in USD. My bank is charging me this fee simply because Kobo is owned by a non-US company, not due to the exchange rate. I have gotten several of these fees lately and they are a percentage of the amount sold.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #22
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Just bought a book on kobo.
So nice, it's been a long time since I was able to buy a book and say "I am living in france".
Just for that, kobo rocks IMHO !

As for fees, the payment clearly says : 7,59 €. My bank should not be adding fees for a payment in euro.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 02-10-2011 at 02:21 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #23
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabienne View Post
The problem is that Kobo only lets you buy books one by one, meaning each book will generate one transaction, and one set of fees... since the fees include usually a fixed part + %, to have as many fees as books is really sad ...
Well, now you can pay for your Kobo purchases with Kobo eGift Cards or Chapters.ca Gift Cards, which while it doesn't solve the international service fee problem, will at least cut it down to one single transaction instead of a lot of little ones where the charges add up.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:41 AM   #24
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
As taming pointed out, it is your credit card policy and nothing to do with Kobo. The actual purchase is exactly as described and paid in your local currency (and probably free of any otherwise attachable local taxes). Your credit card company is choosing to make YOU bear what it sees as "additional fees" for handling your business.
Exactly. But now Kobo is "forcing" their pricing in your supposed home currency. I live in France, so all their pricing is now in euros when I access the site. This puts me in a tough situation, because I have a US credit card which I pay through my US bank account and which I use for my e-book purchases.

I've put in a question to Kobo customer service asking if I can have my account denominated in US dollars, and the answer was no. (I suspect their software is the culprit, though they refer back to the Agency agreement and geographical restrictions.) I can accept the geographical restrictions and the need to charge VAT based on the tax rules here in Europe, but being quoted prices in US$ was one of the big advantages of dealing with Kobo.

Just bought something from the Kobo site to see what is going to happen. What I'm afraid of is that I'll be charged a conversion fee because they are making the charge in euros on my US credit card. If I use my French credit card, I'll get hit with a "foreign transaction fee" even if the charge is done in euros because it comes from outside the EU.

One of these days someone will figure out that the business model for e-books has got to change...
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:36 AM   #25
LadyLou
Enthusiast
LadyLou doesn't litterLadyLou doesn't litter

Device: Sony Touch
I live in the UK but travel often to the US, but now no longer have a US Bank facility. However, not sure if this would work: I have a pre-paid US Dollar Card which is issued by a British Bank so has my address as home address. As this is pre-paid I try and top it up when the exchange rate goes in my favour, but I wonder if this would work without fees, basically from any Country as it is issued at your home address but in differing currencies? When I spend on the card there are no fees whatsoever in US$.
LadyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #26
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Just bought a book on kobo.
So nice, it's been a long time since I was able to buy a book and say "I am living in france".
Just for that, kobo rocks IMHO !

As for fees, the payment clearly says : 7,59 €. My bank should not be adding fees for a payment in euro.
Will be interested to see how it works out for you. I one time had the bank hit me for the "foreign transaction fee" because I had bought airline tickets on British Airways through a French travel agency with the purchase denominated in euros. (I fought it and got it back, BTW.)

I think the rule is that they can't add fees for any transaction coming from within the EU, but they can for a charge in euros coming from outside the EU. That's how it was explained to me, anyhow.

Let us know how you fare with this one. I'm still waiting to see my recent Kobo purchase hit my US credit card statement. Though I have yet to get an e-mail acknowledgment from Kobo of the sale, so perhaps they are pondering the issue themselves. Normally I get an automatic e-mail with the amount they are going to charge on the credit card.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #27
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevdeforges View Post
Exactly. But now Kobo is "forcing" their pricing in your supposed home currency. I live in France, so all their pricing is now in euros when I access the site. This puts me in a tough situation, because I have a US credit card which I pay through my US bank account and which I use for my e-book purchases.

I've put in a question to Kobo customer service asking if I can have my account denominated in US dollars, and the answer was no. (I suspect their software is the culprit, though they refer back to the Agency agreement and geographical restrictions.) I can accept the geographical restrictions and the need to charge VAT based on the tax rules here in Europe, but being quoted prices in US$ was one of the big advantages of dealing with Kobo.

Just bought something from the Kobo site to see what is going to happen. What I'm afraid of is that I'll be charged a conversion fee because they are making the charge in euros on my US credit card. If I use my French credit card, I'll get hit with a "foreign transaction fee" even if the charge is done in euros because it comes from outside the EU.

One of these days someone will figure out that the business model for e-books has got to change...
Wht do you mean by "forcing?" It's not truly in the currency they list?
Old 02-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #28
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
That's my issue - KOBO is not charging me a fee, my bank is. Kobo does not charge me CND because their US site is all in USD. My bank is charging me this fee simply because Kobo is owned by a non-US company, not due to the exchange rate. I have gotten several of these fees lately and they are a percentage of the amount sold.
No, the Kobo site is not in USD. If you're in the US it shows as USD if you're in Canada it shows as Canadian. I don't know about for other countries but I imagine that it would show in that country's currency.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #29
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevdeforges View Post
Will be interested to see how it works out for you. I one time had the bank hit me for the "foreign transaction fee" because I had bought airline tickets on British Airways through a French travel agency with the purchase denominated in euros. (I fought it and got it back, BTW.)

I think the rule is that they can't add fees for any transaction coming from within the EU, but they can for a charge in euros coming from outside the EU. That's how it was explained to me, anyhow.

Let us know how you fare with this one. I'm still waiting to see my recent Kobo purchase hit my US credit card statement. Though I have yet to get an e-mail acknowledgment from Kobo of the sale, so perhaps they are pondering the issue themselves. Normally I get an automatic e-mail with the amount they are going to charge on the credit card.
Logitel net finally updated.
In addition to the expected amount, 1.20 Euros fees. Check with your bank what fees they asks for non euro area payment.
This is indeed misleading. With payment written in Euros, you don't except bank fees.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 02-17-2011 at 02:14 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #30
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Logitel net finally updated.
In addition to the expected amount, 1.20 Euros fees. Check with your bank what fees they asks for non euro area payment.
This is indeed misleading. With payment written in Euros, you don't except bank fees.
So that is what is happening! Kobo is listing prices in the currenty of the consumer - but is actually charging in Canadian.