Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
mobi creation tool for Windows 7?

What do you guys suggest using to create ebooks in in mobi format for the Kindle 3? I've looked at Mobipocket Creator but I've read of lots of people having lots of issues with it unless they're using Windows XP. Unfortunately, I'm not using an eight year-old OS.

Do any of you have any luck getting Mobipocket Creator to run correctly under Windows 7, maybe in compatibility mode or is there some better alternative?

Thanks guys.

- Byron Followell
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:27 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
MobiPocket Creator works just fine for me under Windows 7. What problems are you experiencing with it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I use Mobipocket creator to make ebooks of fan fiction and have had no trouble with it. Of course I found that I had a lot more trouble making mobipocket ebooks out of text files though. So I have started using Sigil for those files. I have Windows 7 starter on my netbook.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
Do any of you have any luck getting Mobipocket Creator to run correctly under Windows 7
Runs fine under Windows 7 for me.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
You don't need the compatibility mode, I think. It runs like a charm at my desktop (with windows 7).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Thanks for the replies guys. Maybe I should've tried to install and run it before posting. I was just going off of all the posts on their forum pertaining to it not working correctly (or at all). Almost every single response was "Mobipocket Creator is not compatible with Windows Vista" or "Mobipocket Creator is not compatible with Windows 7", so I hadn't even tried it yet.

I'll give it a try this weekend.

crich70, you mentioned using Sigil. Maybe I'm missing something here. Sigil is an epub creation tool, correct? How will that help me create mobi files?

I've tried creating some ebooks with Sigil (they look great by the way) and then converting them to mobi with Calbre but I've been less than thrilled with the results. The biggest issue has been pages that run together. For example, I have some ebooks with a few images. I have a chapter break before and after the images to force a page/chapter break so that the image displays on one page separate from the text. It works and looks great on an epub reader but it all just runs together on mobi.

Anyway, I really like Sigil but thought it might be better to look for an actual mobi creation tool since that's what I need them in to read on my Kindle anyway. Actually, what we really need is to have native epub compatibility added to the Kindle! But I'm not holding my breath for that to happen any time soon.

Have any of you tried Jutoh?

Thanks.

- Byron

Last edited by bfollowell; 09-16-2010 at 06:55 PM.
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:01 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys. Maybe I should've tried to install and run it before posting.
That would be my suggestion.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:48 AM   #8
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur
Jonimeesermann began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e71, Ipod Touch, Sony PRS 300
Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys. Maybe I should've tried to install and run it before posting. I was just going off of all the posts on their forum pertaining to it not working correctly (or at all). Almost every single response was "Mobipocket Creator is not compatible with Windows Vista" or "Mobipocket Creator is not compatible with Windows 7", so I hadn't even tried it yet.

I'll give it a try this weekend.

- Byron
I bet you spend way more time by searching through the forum rather than actually installing it. Mobicreator in my Windows 7 works fine btw.

Quote:
crich70, you mentioned using Sigil. Maybe I'm missing something here. Sigil is an epub creation tool, correct? How will that help me create mobi files?

I've tried creating some ebooks with Sigil (they look great by the way) and then converting them to mobi with Calbre but I've been less than thrilled with the results. The biggest issue has been pages that run together. For example, I have some ebooks with a few images. I have a chapter break before and after the images to force a page/chapter break so that the image displays on one page separate from the text. It works and looks great on an epub reader but it all just runs together on mobi.

Anyway, I really like Sigil but thought it might be better to look for an actual mobi creation tool since that's what I need them in to read on my Kindle anyway. Actually, what we really need is to have native epub compatibility added to the Kindle! But I'm not holding my breath for that to happen any time soon.

Thanks.
Actually you can use another Mobipocket program (Mobipocket Reader) to create prc/mobi file for your Kindle by just dragging the epub file on to Mobipocket Reader.
That way you can finetune the epub according your preference and the converted prc/mobi will almost look the same.
Jonimeesermann is offline   Reply With Quote