Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
zardoz73
zardoz73 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Calibre intermittenly won't recognize my Nook

I have a Nook running 1.4 firmware, and I keep having issues with Calibre. Sometimes it simply won't recognize the Nook. So I do a combination of restarting Calibre, rebooting the Nook, rebooting my iMac, dancing a jig, praying to Thor and the baby Jesus...and eventually it'll recognize it. Problem is, I can't figure out exactly what steps will do the trick.

Another issue is that sometimes all the books I've sideloaded into the My Documents folder simply disappear. This is directly related to the times I can't connect to Calibre. I know the books are there, but until I align the stars just right and get Calibre to recognize the Nook, my library disappears.

Anyone have similar issues?
zardoz73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
Edtwins
Edtwins began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I have your second problem intermittently. If I use Calibre to, for example, remove two books and add three, "My Documents" sometimes hangs at the updating box, sometimes shows the new books but doesn't delete the removed ones and sometimes gets it right. The only consistent thing I've discovered is that Calibre doesn't properly eject either the Nook or the SD card (although they disappear from the buttons at the top). I need to close Calibre without ejecting, then eject first the card then the Nook from Explorer. Upon this eject, the Nook goes from the "connected" page to my wallpaper and these are the times that at least SOME of the updates are recognized. Also, in preferences in Calibre, it seemed to help to choose automatic updating of metadata, which forces an update on each "transaction" with the Nook. BTW, these problems occur in both Windows XP and Vista. None of the problems affect the B&N Library.

Glad if any of this helps, but it's obviously not the total solution, and I'd be happy to hear from others if they have suggestions.
Edtwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
hereticorp
hereticorp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have a similar issue except that Calibre won't recognize the nook at all. Just updated to 0.7.23, it worked fine in 0.7.22 but not in 0.7.21.

Running Windows XP SP3 with a Nook on the latest FW.
hereticorp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, mydocuments