Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #16
emt
Nameless Being

Rooting

See: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=21
Old 11-21-2010, 10:40 PM   #17
aludal
Enthusiast
aludal doesn't litteraludal doesn't litter

Device: none (not Nano!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow00198 View Post
It has apparently been found out that the boot sequence of the Nook Color is USB, Memory Card, Internal Flash Memory. This means 2 things. It first means that the ISO image can be loaded onto the Memory Card allowing a simple way to root. Second. It means that the device cannot be bricked because you would just have to take out or replace the image on the card. This is a hardwired problem meaning that no matter how many software updates B&N does on the device it will not solve this loophole. It is just a matter of time before the files are made available.
There's still a lot of possibilities that this might not be played out as it seems. First, there's so called Droid X scare: an unidentified security chip which is not turned on -- yet. The function of it when it will be turned ON over WiFi is anyone wild guess: override "hardwired" boot order/sequence, inject "official" wipe and "update", up to the kill-switch/looper/brick. "All your B&N books are belong to us!" (just kidding....or not). Second, the building of a bootable image from a scratch is a tremendous task, ask Zoom II/Pandaboard developers. Just prepare to get something of an Ubuntu first, with no touch, no sound, no nothing first.
For the reference, see the original NOOK "rooting" history and what was achieved so far at Nookdevs. In three words, NOOK is closing.
aludal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 11:41 PM   #18
shadow00198
shadow00198 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by aludal View Post
There's still a lot of possibilities that this might not be played out as it seems. First, there's so called Droid X scare: an unidentified security chip which is not turned on -- yet. The function of it when it will be turned ON over WiFi is anyone wild guess: override "hardwired" boot order/sequence, inject "official" wipe and "update", up to the kill-switch/looper/brick. "All your B&N books are belong to us!" (just kidding....or not). Second, the building of a bootable image from a scratch is a tremendous task, ask Zoom II/Pandaboard developers. Just prepare to get something of an Ubuntu first, with no touch, no sound, no nothing first.
For the reference, see the original NOOK "rooting" history and what was achieved so far at Nookdevs. In three words, NOOK is closing.
There are indeed a lot of ifs and maybes but i think this is a good start for the community. Lets try to be optimistic and see where this goes. It is my philosophy that no computing device is ever 100% hack proof so it is only a matter of time.
shadow00198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:48 AM   #19
aludal
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
The Pocketbook IQ looks like it is pretty nice. Also consider the Archos 70.
Pocketbook IQ is a re-brand/more-or-less exact copy of Pandigital Novel.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:52 AM   #20
aludal
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow00198 View Post
There are indeed a lot of ifs and maybes but i think this is a good start for the community. Lets try to be optimistic and see where this goes. It is my philosophy that no computing device is ever 100% hack proof so it is only a matter of time.
Today was a great day in the history of jailbreaking of NC, see the summary and transcripts in my blog Fine Oils fineouils.blogspot.com
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 07:48 AM   #21
emt
Nameless Being

Nothing new here and you should learn how to spell your web site!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #22
shadow00198
shadow00198 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I think the day is very near. If only I could go pick one up right now. That way I could start my own research into this.
shadow00198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #23
katzki
Zealot
katzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by aludal View Post
Pocketbook IQ is a re-brand/more-or-less exact copy of Pandigital Novel.
Till now, it seems that Pocketbook IQ is way better than Pandigial Novel White or Cruz reader in terms of software performance.

Yes, they are all based on the same hardware.
But Pocetbook has a faster processor and pocketbook's own reading app. I think Pocketbook IQ is more dedicated to reading than others but still good in tablet point of view.

Nowadays, I see a lot of cheap tablets which have really nice hardware and OS but they always fail in terms of software optimization. People just believe that Pocketbook IQ wil have better software as its reading software has been always the best.

Last edited by katzki; 11-22-2010 at 11:04 AM.
katzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #24
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzki View Post
Till now, it seems that Pocketbook IQ is way better than Pandigial Novel White or Cruz reader in terms of software performance.

Yes, they are all based on the same hardware.
But Pocetbook has a faster processor and pocketbook's own reading app. I think Pocketbook IQ is more dedicated to reading than others but still good in tablet point of view.

Nowadays, I see a lot of cheap tablets which have really nice hardware and OS but they always fail in terms of software optimization. People just believe that Pocketbook IQ wil have better software as its reading software has been always the best.
There are some significant differences between the PDN and the Pocketbook IQ.

1. Hardware buttons (no soft buttons, or hacked volume buttons needed on the pocketbook)
2. Build quality (The PDN plastic is prone to flaking and cracking, the Pocketbook IQ is metal)
3. No software hacks/alternative firmware required for installing your own apps. In addition, Pocketbook seems keen on eventually updating to Android 2.2.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:17 PM   #25
Baka no Kami
Baka no Kami is on a distinguished road

Device: Baka no Kami
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
I like how you took the "couple of questions" title literally...

Yes (but you will obviously need an adapter).

While I haven't tested it thoroughly, it would appear so. (The device, at least, states "Not Charging" but the percentage did go up after a few minutes.)

Also note that the microUSB cable for the charger is special. In other words, the Nook Color charger won't fast charge with a standard cable (but it appears to slow charge).

The device will also slow charge when connected to a computer.

One of the engineers stated that the nook color will not charge when plugged in to a slow charge solution under heavy use (but at least the battery wouldn't drain).

(Note that these hoops are to deal with the fact that the fast charger provides 1.9 amps (at 5V) and there isn't, as far as I know, a standard for pushing that kind of power across a microUSB connector.)
Just to expand on this a little, my experience was that the nookcolor would charge off a USB as long as the screen was off. Mine had about 50% showing on the battery when I left it plugged into my laptop and fell asleep, when I woke up it had a full charge. I also found that when the LCD is on the color will not charge, but the battery takes much longer to drain. Watching a video for 30 minutes took 5-6% of the battery when it was unplugged, only 1% when it was on USB. These seemed to hold true even when I was using a generic microUSB cable and not the nook specific one.
Baka no Kami is offline   Reply With Quote