Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
An idea to use the Lower Color Screen for Rich Content

You know, it occurs to me that the Color Screen could be used for some really interesting rich content to augment eBooks if BN were to implement an API for it. Imagine the best of both worlds, the clarity/crispness of eInk up top and the ability to have color/moving/dynamic/interactive content below (albeit with limited real estate). Why limit things to controlling menus and scrolling through books.

I could imagine that as you read a text book, a full color picture could appear in the lower color screen instead of a black and white image. Perhaps, if you click on it you could zoom around a full sized/larger image (not ideal, but better than staring at a small static B+W image).

Moving images or movies could even be embedded.

Better yet for things like text books and references tables and charts, little interactive programs (ie. entering variable values for an equation and seeing them plotted out), plugging in parameters for a formula and having the calculation done on the screen, etc. Now that's content worth paying a little more for.

I would think it would be fairly easy to re-parse rich content HTML/Web pages into something that would display quite nicely on the Nook.

Pretty sure this isn't part of the original standard, but imagine the possibilities. Anyone have any idea if EPUB allows for embedding of rich media or arbitrary data meta tags that would be simply ignored in unsupported devices so compatibility isn't broken?

Dave

P.S. In case you guys at Nook/BN haven't thought of this yet (which I doubt), I'll make you a deal: implement this in a really flexible and cool manner, give Nook owners a free software update and decent PDF reflow, give us Folders/Sub-Folders for organizing large libraries... and you can use my idea for free !!!!

P.P.S. Yes, I also pre-ordered.
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Books as Apps?

You know this also opens up the concept of selling apps as books or augmented books that are also applications for the Nook.

I think one of the things traditional media is fighting is how to continue being viewed as having value in a world of new media/platforms.

How many of us would pay a little more on the cover price of a book if it was also an application or came with embedded/usable/useful applications?

On another vein, this thing is running Android...how long before someone hacks it? Probably not long. If BN doesn't implement this, I sure hope some crafty hacker does/will.

Dave
Old 10-21-2009, 01:43 AM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
the lower bit "color screen" is thus far the worst idea I have seen on the Nook. I'd rather have that area available for the text I am reading.

seriously. I got over missing the pictures that go along with the stories right after I graduated to"chapter books".
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
the lower bit "color screen" is thus far the worst idea I have seen on the Nook. I'd rather have that area available for the text I am reading.

seriously. I got over missing the pictures that go along with the stories right after I graduated to"chapter books".
People have different learning styles; graphic presentations can help the retention of crucial information in non-Fiction books. In narratives it can enhance the enjoyment. Or are the illustrated editions of Sherlock Holmes we find on Mobileread somehow infantile?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
When reading the New York Times, imagine advertisements flowing across the screen.

It will happen, just give advertisers time to figure it out.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
DaveNB
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
When reading the New York Times, imagine advertisements flowing across the screen.

It will happen, just give advertisers time to figure it out.
Oooohh, hadn't thought of that. Shows you how naive I am. Then again, easily defeated with a strategically placed post-it note...how low tech. But what a PITA. I was looking for a GOOD/USEFUL application for the rich media.

Dave
Old 10-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
People have different learning styles; graphic presentations can help the retention of crucial information in non-Fiction books. In narratives it can enhance the enjoyment. Or are the illustrated editions of Sherlock Holmes we find on Mobileread somehow infantile?
at this point in time, there are some things that are simply still best experienced with a p-book. I'm not expecting to experience coffee table book type sensations on an ebook anytime soon. I think it's wasted space and could have been used better
Old 10-21-2009, 03:25 PM   #8
nevermind
nevermind began at the beginning.

Device: iphone 3G S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
at this point in time, there are some things that are simply still best experienced with a p-book. I'm not expecting to experience coffee table book type sensations on an ebook anytime soon. I think it's wasted space and could have been used better
Like a physical keyboard?
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

like more reading area

Tags
color, media, movies, nook, rich