Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
PS Kindle
PS Kindle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Kindle 2 Screensaver Hack

Hi, first time in the forum... greetings to fellow members.

I followed the instrution on https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=150, but when I got to the step to "update your kindle", the selection is grey out in the menu. I have the firmware version 2.3. What should I do to change the pictures in the screensaver? Thank you for any help.

Edited: Just check the updated thread by jyavenard and I should have checked first... how do I delete this thread?

Last edited by PS Kindle; 12-05-2009 at 10:51 AM.
PS Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Click the screensaver link in my sig and follow the directions (it has pictures). You may not have place the .bin file in the correct place.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Herak
Herak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 international
Those are pretty nice instructions, thanks. what do i have to do if i want ot install both hacks so i can have custom screensavers and a custom font?
Herak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herak View Post
Those are pretty nice instructions, thanks. what do i have to do if i want ot install both hacks so i can have custom screensavers and a custom font?
Nothing special, just install them one at a time (but you can only have one font not multiple on the Kindle, try for more and chaos may ensue).
Old 12-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
Herak
Herak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 international
Smile

thanks that's sort of what i thought. nice to have it confirmed though.
Herak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
bookwiz
bookwiz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
I can't get the screensaver thing to work. any ideas?
bookwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwiz View Post
I can't get the screensaver thing to work. any ideas?
What's happening?
Old 12-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
goblinbox
*****istratrix
goblinbox began at the beginning.

Device: K2, iThing
I'm having the same issue: "Update your Kindle" is grayed out. I have a K2 running 2.3 (399380047).

Last edited by goblinbox; 12-24-2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: added entire version number
goblinbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblinbox View Post
I'm having the same issue: "Update your Kindle" is grayed out. I have a K2 running 2.3.
You have to make sure you're using the correct file for your Kindle. Check your Kindle serial number:

B002 = Kindle U.S. = update_screensaverhack-install-K2.bin
B003 = Kindle International = update_screensaverhack-install-K2i.bin
B004 = Kindle DX U.S. = update_screensaverhack-install-dx.bin
Old 12-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #10
goblinbox
*****istratrix

Wacky. It says B003. Whoda thunkit. *goes to try again*
Old 12-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #11
goblinbox
*****istratrix

Yeah, that totally worked. (It just hadn't occurred to me that I'd received the Int'l version.) Thanks for the little SN tutorial.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblinbox View Post
Yeah, that totally worked. (It just hadn't occurred to me that I'd received the Int'l version.) Thanks for the little SN tutorial.
Happy to be of service.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #13
goblinbox
*****istratrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
Yeah me too...

Any ideas?
Check your serial number against the list (in a reply above). You, like me, may have an Int'l Kindle rather than a US-only one.

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-08-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:00 PM   #14
Americanchild
Enthusiast
Americanchild doesn't litterAmericanchild doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
finally got my screensavers!

Turns out I had an international version too! Once I installed the correct bin and my screen savers I did have to do a hard reset and now I am good to go. Thank you so much!
Americanchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #15
Doc-Dean
Doc-Dean began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Works great!!! Instructions were spot on! Thanks so much!!
Doc-Dean is offline   Reply With Quote