Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #901
sookie
sookie began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Hi speedlever, I did finally figure it out with a lot of patient help from the members here. Thanks again to all involved
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #902
Wenznz
Wenznz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wifi
Ok, I'm another newby having minor issues. I've read through large portions of this thread, and thought I had myself sorted, but it's not quite going to plan?!

I currently have the 0.7.31 version of Calibre installed, and have downloaded the v2.2a version of AA's plugins downloaded to my computer.
I've looked at the readme file on how to get it into Calibre, but when I follow the instructional, Calibre wants to install the whole 2.2a zip file, rather than just the Calibre plugin zip file (which from looking at the readme is what I want to do??)

Also, can't quite figure out if I also need to download the Active State python installer, or if this only relates to previous versions.

All assistance much appreciated
Wenznz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 08:59 PM   #903
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenznz View Post
I've looked at the readme file on how to get it into Calibre, but when I follow the instructional, Calibre wants to install the whole 2.2a zip file, rather than just the Calibre plugin zip file (which from looking at the readme is what I want to do??)

Also, can't quite figure out if I also need to download the Active State python installer, or if this only relates to previous versions.
You don't need to install Python.

The only thing I can think of about getting tools_2.2a zip when you select ineptepub_*_plugin.zip is that perhaps you have opened the zip without actually unzipping it. I seem to recall that Windows can do this. Make sure it is actually unzipped into actual folders. Alternatively, if you only see tools_2.2a zip perhaps there is a folder listed that contains the plugin. Drill down until you find it.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #904
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Quick question: if you already have the latest version of Python, pycrypto, and the scripts installed and operational, will installing the 2.2a plug-in to Calibre cause any conflicts with anything?

IE, do the two ways of circumventing DRM conflict with each other on the same computer?

Last edited by speedlever; 12-01-2010 at 09:55 AM.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #905
Wenznz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
You don't need to install Python.

The only thing I can think of about getting tools_2.2a zip when you select ineptepub_*_plugin.zip is that perhaps you have opened the zip without actually unzipping it. I seem to recall that Windows can do this. Make sure it is actually unzipped into actual folders. Alternatively, if you only see tools_2.2a zip perhaps there is a folder listed that contains the plugin. Drill down until you find it.
Thank you for the reply Wallcraft - I should perhaps clarify.
I've unzipped the 2.2a zip and found the plugin zip inside it(and then the specific zips inside that) when I look at it in the download folder. It's when I open it in Calibre, it wont let me open the main 2.2a zip to get to the plugins etc.

Now I'll admit I'm not very tech savvy, so I'm probably missing some really obvious step, but I am pleased for the help
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 10:37 PM   #906
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenznz View Post
TIt's when I open it in Calibre, it wont let me open the main 2.2a zip to get to the plugins etc.
Are you in Preferences -> Plugins? Preferences in the gears icon. I can't show you the tools plugins, but the attached screen shots are what 4 plugins in a Calibre_Plugins folder might look like just before you "Add new plugin" to Calibre.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	add_plugin1.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	62098   Click image for larger version

Name:	add_plugin2.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	62099  
Old 11-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #907
Wenznz

Ok, big thank you to wallcraft and vulcan_girl for their help.

After I extracted the zip files out of the original zip into a new folder, and then figured out where to look in the plugins menu to see where they went, I'm golden!!
Old 12-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #908
burhan
burhan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
an issue

first of all thanks for great work.

i've a strange issue. i searched the forum but nothing found.

i've succesfully removed drm from lots of epubs which are purchased from same website. but i downloaded an epub from different site today, opened in ADE without any issue, decrypted with ineptepub. i can see cover image in decrypted epub but text is a mess. i'm seeing texts like "›ÀIHT�®±¤&7Õ�ô~0�" when i open it in calibre.

now, isn't it decrypted really? or how can i fix that?

i'm sorry if it's asked before. forgive a newbie..

Last edited by burhan; 12-21-2010 at 07:35 PM.
burhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #909
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by burhan View Post
i'm seeing texts like "›ÀIHT�®±¤&7Õ�ô~0�" when i open it in calibre.
Can you read the DRM-free version with Adobe Digital Editions? If not, then the drm-stripping failed somehow.

Otherwise, it could be an encoding issue, see How do I convert my file containing non-English characters, or smart quotes?. An ePub declares its encoding, but sometimes it declares the wrong encoding. This does not sound like the normal encoding issue though, so it might be something else.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:55 AM   #910
burhan

Quote:
Can you read the DRM-free version with Adobe Digital Editions? If not, then the drm-stripping failed somehow.

Otherwise, it could be an encoding issue, see How do I convert my file containing non-English characters, or smart quotes?. An ePub declares its encoding, but sometimes it declares the wrong encoding. This does not sound like the normal encoding issue though, so it might be something else.
in ADE, i can't read either. different from calibre i can't see any text or characters, but cover image is fine. if this is a drm-stripping issue, how am i able to see cover image?

btw, i tried a lot of character encoding types in calibre, still same.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:54 AM   #911
burhan

Quote:
first of all thanks for great work.

i've a strange issue. i searched the forum but nothing found.

i've succesfully removed drm from lots of epubs which are purchased from same website. but i downloaded an epub from different site today, opened in ADE without any issue, decrypted with ineptepub. i can see cover image in decrypted epub but text is a mess. i'm seeing texts like "›ÀIHT�®±¤&7Õ�ô~0�" when i open it in calibre.

now, isn't it decrypted really? or how can i fix that?

i'm sorry if it's asked before. forgive a newbie..

thanks to pdurrant, this problem is fixed. it seems that there's a mis-match in the way the non-ASCII characters are encoded in file names in various places, so the de-drm routines fail to match the files up, and they don't get decoded.

so for a future reference, we are able to fix that issue by changing file names that includes non-ASCII characters, and related lines that points to these files in the content.opf and encryption.xml.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:28 AM   #912
Juris
Juris began at the beginning.

Device: ipad,iphone
Quote:
thanks to pdurrant, this problem is fixed. it seems that there's a mis-match in the way the non-ASCII characters are encoded in file names in various places, so the de-drm routines fail to match the files up, and they don't get decoded.

so for a future reference, we are able to fix that issue by changing file names that includes non-ASCII characters, and related lines that points to these files in the content.opf and encryption.xml.
I'm having a problem removing DRM from a Latvian epub book. Could this be related?
Thanks
Juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #913
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juris View Post
I'm having a problem removing DRM from a Latvian epub book.
I recently noticed that the tools_2.4 bundle includes a python script, ePub_Fixer.pyw, to correct filename issues. I don't know if it will always work on non-ascii filenames, but it sounds easy to try.

Last edited by wallcraft; 12-26-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #914
burhan

Quote:
I recently noticed that the tools_2.4 bundle includes a python script, ePub_Fixer.pyw, to correct filename issues. I don't know if it will always work on non-ascii filenames, but it sounds easy to try.
ePub_Fixer.pyw didn't fix the problem i have. i corrected the file names one by one and repacked the folder to epub with epubpack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juris View Post
I'm having a problem removing DRM from a Latvian epub book. Could this be related?
Thanks
please change the file extension from epub to zip and open it. check the xhtml file names. if the file names include non-ascii characters, then this is probably your problem. my epubs include characters like "¦, ç". and i think it's possible that your epubs' file names contain letters with diacritic marks, because of the Latvian alphabet.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:25 AM   #915
Juris
Juris began at the beginning.

Device: ipad,iphone
Latvian epubs

Quote:
ePub_Fixer.pyw didn't fix the problem i have. i corrected the file names one by one and repacked the folder to epub with epubpack.

please change the file extension from epub to zip and open it. check the xhtml file names. if the file names include non-ascii characters, then this is probably your problem. my epubs include characters like "¦, ç". and i think it's possible that your epubs' file names contain letters with diacritic marks, because of the Latvian alphabet.
I had help on another forum and indeed it was a problem with filenames: "It turns out this is a problem with file name encoding, and is a bug in the ineptepub code. A fix is in the pipeline, and should be released soon". Thanks for your input and help
Juris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adept, adobe epub drm, ainept, drm, drm removal, drm-free epub, inept