Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 08:05 AM   #1
Winston
Winston began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
Screensaver Hack for International K2?

Hello All,
I just upgraded to a K2 International from the first K2. I loved the screensaver hack on my old Kindle; why this functionality is not provided to begin with is beyond me. The Version 4 hack does not work on the new International K2 (and neither does the modified DX hack). I am hoping one of the brilliant and generous programmers out there will work their magic and perhaps modify the new DX hack for the K2 International? Huge thanks in advance for your kind help in this regard.

Winston
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Hello All,
I just upgraded to a K2 International from the first K2. I loved the screensaver hack on my old Kindle; why this functionality is not provided to begin with is beyond me. The Version 4 hack does not work on the new International K2 (and neither does the modified DX hack). I am hoping one of the brilliant and generous programmers out there will work their magic and perhaps modify the new DX hack for the K2 International? Huge thanks in advance for your kind help in this regard.

Winston
Hi.

I updated the program to create update package for the Kindle 2 international ; but somehow the installationg script fail to run properly..

Not sure why..

Last edited by jyavenard; 10-23-2009 at 12:14 AM.
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:40 AM   #3
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
I have the same problem with Unicode Font hack.

It fails in the same way as when I tried to unbrick my US K2 by installing patches from recovery mode. It will recognize the patch, the progress bar would move a little and then the install fails before anything in the script ever executes.

Worst case scenario is that Amazon started digitally signing the updates. In this case it may be impossible to bypass without at least opneing the case and attaching a serial console. I hope it's not true
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:27 AM   #4
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
I have the same problem with Unicode Font hack.

It fails in the same way as when I tried to unbrick my US K2 by installing patches from recovery mode. It will recognize the patch, the progress bar would move a little and then the install fails before anything in the script ever executes.

Worst case scenario is that Amazon started digitally signing the updates. In this case it may be impossible to bypass without at least opneing the case and attaching a serial console. I hope it's not true
Mine shipped with firmware 2.2.1 ; seems that some got 2.2.

Hopefully getting our hand on the firmware binary will provide some information with what's different...
Old 10-23-2009, 06:22 AM   #5
Winston

Thank you both so much for trying!
Old 10-23-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Yep. Mine is 2.2
Yes - having a binary would definitely help. If someone would get a hold on one - please let me know by all means.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:59 AM   #7
jyavenard
Zealot

All right...

Using ;debugOn and ;dumpMessages ; I looked at what was going on:

091024:105149 EXT3 FS on mmcblk0p1, internal journal
091024:105150 system: I _otaupexec:defrocessing update /mnt/us/update_test-k2i.bin
091024:105150 system: I _otaupexec:def:version is "FC02"
091024:105150 system: I _otaupexec:def:update image checksum OK
091024:105150 system: E _otaupexec:def:signature does not exist for "install.sh"
091024:105150 system: E _otaupexec:def:signature verification failed

So either by signature it means the signature found in the .dat file and the calculation has changed ; or packages are actually signed from now on , killing user updated...
Old 10-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
millin
millin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle International
That seems too...

Maybe, from now on, the only way to patch the kindle is via the seria terminal with adding small wires from its back to get the serial port.... ?

...at least it's not so difficult to do such modification.
millin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #9
Blog Kindle
Addict

I'm pretty sure that the same kind of check was done in previous versions of Kindle when installing recovery mode updates. So someone could peek into recovery mode image and take a look at the scripts that process the update.
In the past I was able to dump portions of flash block device to user-accessible partition using hand made updates. Unfortunately my knowledge of linux file systems and disk partitions is not strong enough find that image and get specific files from it.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
Winston

I checked and the software running on my iKindle is 2.2. I'd forgotten how much I dislike looking at pictures of Harriet Beecher Stowe. Why would a company so savvy about so many things, make it so difficult to make a Kindle experience more customized and personal?
Old 10-30-2009, 03:09 AM   #11
jyavenard
Zealot

Hi

All right..

The signature is rather trivial ; it just looks for a .sig file containing a sha256 signature ...

It tests using keys found in /etc/uks ; so it's just a matter of adding our own signature key there and creating the proper .sig file...

Edit: Ok.
I've created an image that installs a new RSA key to the kindle.
I'm just finishing testing of a new packager that will create the signature file automatically..

Will be sharing it soon ...

Jean-Yves

Last edited by jyavenard; 10-30-2009 at 03:34 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:38 AM   #12
millin
millin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle International
Hey, jyavenard!

That sounds great, you are the hero...
millin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:34 AM   #13
Winston

Outstanding! Can't thank Jean-Yves enough and everyone else who has been working on this! This is great news, let's hope it pans out.

Thanks again!
Old 10-30-2009, 08:22 AM   #14
Unconnected
Unconnected began at the beginning.

Please share soon, will this enable us to get rid of jane austen from the screensaver.
Unconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:43 AM   #15
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unconnected View Post
Please share soon, will this enable us to get rid of jane austen from the screensaver.
I've posted how already..

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60856

I made the screen saver hack for the Kindle 2 International, but after checking it didn't work.

I had a closer look, and the configuration of the screen saver has changed and the hack (version 0.4) won't work as is ...

Looking into it right now..

Jean-Yves