Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #76
Elfuente
Enthusiast
Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: kobo glo
I want my Kobo to maka a cafe Latte and a cheesetoast at 7:30 in the morning
Elfuente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #77
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfuente View Post
I want my Kobo to maka a cafe Latte and a cheesetoast at 7:30 in the morning
So long as it also know to do that at 9:00am on weekends.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #78
bethany7
Enthusiast
bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'd also like to be able to drill down by author, as earlier suggested. And it may well not be possible, or be dependent on the file metadata itself, but an easy way to tell the order of books in a series would be great. I often download entire series in one go, and then find I've forgotten which comes next (that may just be my terrible memory, and not a common occurrence!). Agree with the lower light settings as well, if possible.
Finally, I am in the UK, and magazines and newspapers are not available from Kobo here, so I'd love to have the option to remove that tab from the library menu, as it is totally useless to me. Or, and I'd much prefer this, give us the magazines and newspapers That would be the icing on the cake!
bethany7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #79
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany7 View Post
And it may well not be possible, or be dependent on the file metadata itself, but an easy way to tell the order of books in a series would be great. I often download entire series in one go, and then find I've forgotten which comes next (that may just be my terrible memory, and not a common occurrence!)
Kobo added support for series info in firmware 2.2.0 or 2.2.1. Unfortunately, this hasn't been released to everyone. For kepubs, Kobo are updating the metadata on their servers and the data gets pushed out when you sync. For sideloaded books, the calibre driver supports it as of 0.9.8.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:33 AM   #80
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Kobo added support for series info in firmware 2.2.0 or 2.2.1. Unfortunately, this hasn't been released to everyone. For kepubs, Kobo are updating the metadata on their servers and the data gets pushed out when you sync. For sideloaded books, the calibre driver supports it as of 0.9.8.
davidfor, does the 2.2.x firmware support reading series info for sideloaded books at all?

If so, what are the metadata tags that it is using to look for series info (assuming I don't use Calibre)?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:19 AM   #81
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
davidfor, does the 2.2.x firmware support reading series info for sideloaded books at all?

If so, what are the metadata tags that it is using to look for series info (assuming I don't use Calibre)?
Yes and no. Series info isn't part of the ePub 2 standard. Hence the firmware doesn't read the details from sideloaded books. If you want to play with the database, you can set the values yourself. This is what the calibre driver does using the calibre library as the source for the info.

When this came up in the beta firmware group, I encouraged Kobo to accept the calibre metadata as a defacto standard. I wasn't expecting them to, but I hoped.

If you want to update the info yourself. The "content" table has two colums: Series and SeriesNumber. Both are text fields. The display in the library list is simple the contents of both separated by " - ". Kobo usually use "#1" for the number, but one of the "A Song of Ice and Fire" books has "#3: Part 2".
Old 12-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #82
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Kobo, please add more steps for changing the font size. It is tedious to get I size I like. I have to change fonts and font size to get a size I like.

Finer adjustments on the line spacing and margins would be nice. And the minimum for line spacing seems too large.

Also, it would be nice if the arrows on the light adjustment were finer. It looks like by dragging the scroll bar you can get more control then you can using the arrows.

And please bring back the chapter progress bar on the reading menu (like it used to be on the Touch).

As an aside, has anyone noticed a difference in formatting between the Touch and Glo? Sometimes, I can't get the same font size on both; I'll get the same size at one step, and on the next step they are different.

Thank you.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #83
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
As an aside, has anyone noticed a difference in formatting between the Touch and Glo? Sometimes, I can't get the same font size on both; I'll get the same size at one step, and on the next step they are different.
Comparing my Touch to my new Glo, the problem is the resolution. On the Touch, the font size I like is 17 (looking at either the configuration file or the database). On the Glo, to get the same size on the screen, it is about 24. If you look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=29, jackie_w has listed out all the font sizes used for each step on the slider. The steps are not uniform. You are probably in the single step fonts on the Touch and the two steps on the Glo.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #84
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Thank you davidfor. Is there something I could do with Calibre to help me with this? I'm thinking i could get my default size to "17" using Calibre, and then have some good choices up and down. For my Sony 505, I was able to set the font size (using Calibre) such that "small" was exactly the size I wanted.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #85
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Thank you davidfor. Is there something I could do with Calibre to help me with this? I'm thinking i could get my default size to "17" using Calibre, and then have some good choices up and down. For my Sony 505, I was able to set the font size (using Calibre) such that "small" was exactly the size I wanted.
Today no. Sometime in the next week, maybe

You could set a fixed font size in the ePub. Is that what you are doing for the Sony? I don't see a "small" option anywhere in the conversion options. Or is this a Sony driver option?
Old 12-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #86
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
You could set a fixed font size in the ePub. Is that what you are doing for the Sony? I don't see a "small" option anywhere in the conversion options. Or is this a Sony driver option?
I think the reference to "small" is the Sony device font-size setting (small, med, large on a PRS505).

As far as I can tell, the difference between Sony and Kobo re: font-size is that the Kobo changes font-size by replacing whatever is in your css body style with one of its 24 font sizes, which look as if they are set in absolute points (or pixels???) which are non-scaleable. I believe the Sony's settings use a scaling factor to change sizes. As you probably know, Calibre always creates css body font-size in em units (base font-size 12pt equates to 1em, 15pt to 1.25em etc). Because em units are scaleable, with some experimentation, you can set the Calibre base font size such that it looks "perfect" for you when viewed at Sony size "small" (or "medium" or "large").

Or to get the ultimate font-size control on an older Sony, you can install PRSPlus which will let you create your own on-device css files with whatever font family/size/line-height/margins you want and which can (usually) be made to override whatever is in the epub's own css file. The PRST1 has a similar but different hack to achieve the same thing.

BTW I spent a long unproductive evening trying to manually set my epubs' css body font-size to get finer size control on the Kobo Glo. It didn't work so I've settled on using an SQL trigger kludge to be able to set 'unavailable' font-sizes from the Kobo.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #87
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
BTW I spent a long unproductive evening trying to manually set my epubs' css body font-size to get finer size control on the Kobo Glo. It didn't work so I've settled on using an SQL trigger kludge to be able to set 'unavailable' font-sizes from the Kobo.
So, each time you set it to a particular size you don't want the tirgger changes the value to the unavailable size you do want?

And thanks for the explanation about the Sonys.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #88
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So, each time you set it to a particular size you don't want the tirgger changes the value to the unavailable size you do want?
Yes. My SQL is rather rusty and I wasn't able to get it to work by attaching the trigger to the font settings table (content_settings), so I added it to the Bookmark table instead, hence the 'kludge' description.

After the trigger is added (simple one-time hack), the process for any book is
  • set the various font settings sliders to 'unwanted unusable' values (e.g. min. font-size, max. line space).
  • create new bookmark to force trigger to fire, (changes 'unwanted' values to 'wanted' values in content_settings)
  • exit book/re-enter book (new font values will be read)
  • delete bookmark (or not)
I have considered creating a new thread to discuss the wisdom of doing this and give a detailed step-by-step if required, but I'm unsure how 'safe' this hack is if Kobo do an automatic upgrade to the database whilst the trigger is in-situ. I'm happy to take the risk for myself but I don't know whether advocating the addition of an SQL trigger would be considered as 'irresponsible' hacking.

I've been using this for the last couple of weeks with no apparent problems. The Kobo font settings feature is no more/no less flaky than it's always been (i.e. quite flaky).

Quote:
And thanks for the explanation about the Sonys.
You're welcome
Old 12-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #89
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Yes. My SQL is rather rusty and I wasn't able to get it to work by attaching the trigger to the font settings table (content_settings), so I added it to the Bookmark table instead, hence the 'kludge' description.
Yes the description "kludge" is very accurate. I wonder why the trigger on the content_settings table didn't work.
Quote:
After the trigger is added (simple one-time hack), the process for any book is
  • set the various font settings sliders to 'unwanted unusable' values (e.g. min. font-size, max. line space).
  • create new bookmark to force trigger to fire, (changes 'unwanted' values to 'wanted' values in content_settings)
  • exit book/re-enter book (new font values will be read)
  • delete bookmark (or not)
I have considered creating a new thread to discuss the wisdom of doing this and give a detailed step-by-step if required, but I'm unsure how 'safe' this hack is if Kobo do an automatic upgrade to the database whilst the trigger is in-situ. I'm happy to take the risk for myself but I don't know whether advocating the addition of an SQL trigger would be considered as 'irresponsible' hacking.
Have you looked at what they are doing in the developers forum? This is pretty tame. But it fits in the "don't try this at home"
category.

I can't decide what will happen when you update. I don't think anything, but the trigger might disappear.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #90
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I can't decide what will happen when you update. I don't think anything, but the trigger might disappear.
If that is indeed all that happens I'll be happy, given it's trivial to drop it or re-add it.

I was worried in case the Kobo update updated parts of the database and failed on others. Since I will never have Wi-Fi enabled and only ever connect to the Kobo account if expecting to upgrade the FW, I don't anticipate problems.

Tags
feature, firmware, glo, request