Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-10-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
iPhone Public Domain Books for 99 cents

iPhone App Store Takes on Amazon Kindle with 99 Cent E-Books

Click image for larger version

Name:	appstore_dickens.jpg
Views:	1755
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	14270

Looks like there is going to be an ebook component to the iTunes Store.

Quote:
With the arrival of the iTunes App Store, some enterprising individuals have started to populated the virtual shop with a bunch of novels from the public domain. All they have to do is "re-box" them, so to speak, before selling through through the Apple online store for 99 cents each. The e-books that you'll find include stuff like Dickens and Tarzan.

The text is said to look pretty crisp and the relatively large display of the iPhone makes for a pleasurable read as well. And you might look a little sexier staring at your iPhone than at your Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
There are other threads saying that eReader's software, and stanza's, and MobiRead's are available for the iPhone. So you should be able to read the books you've already bought. Or what you've found for free here on MR. (once we or the software people figure out how to download the books to the phone)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Thanks Deb! I don't have an iPhone or plan to have one but I see a lot of folks here do.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:40 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
There are other threads saying that eReader's software, and stanza's, and MobiRead's are available for the iPhone. So you should be able to read the books you've already bought. Or what you've found for free here on MR. (once we or the software people figure out how to download the books to the phone)
We have software?

Anyway, the Iphone version of MobiReader is not ready yet.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:33 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Looks like this particular example doesn't use eReader or Mobipocket. It's offered by these folks:

http://www.appengines.com/bookreader.html
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:40 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's right; they're "standalone" applications with a built-in reader app.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
chef
Enthusiast
chef is on a distinguished road

"...the relatively large display of the iPhone makes for a pleasurable read as well. And you might look a little sexier staring at your iPhone than at your Kindle."

Always in need of a good laugh.

People always compare non-Apple products to the Ipod (whether they play mp3s or not) but I guess you can't do that since the Iphone is an Apple product. Relatively large compared to what, non-smart cell phones?
chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:05 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Many Smartphones have a 2.5" screen, so it is large compared to that.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #9
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
There is a FREE ereader in the iTunes App store. You can read pdf, txt, even mobi on it. There is also an App for Fictionwise ebooks. I already have thousands of free books both in Mobi and TXT format so its nice to also use my iphone as a reader. However my Kindle is my main reader and my Macbook at home because I have a ton of pdf classic books and I use Zinio to read magazines. By the way, Zinio also has books.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:29 AM   #10
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
I wonder why Apple let these developpers publish dozens of public domain books this way. It clutters the App Store, on almost every screen of the Entertainment section you get a few of these books.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #11
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
I thought Mr. Jobs said iPeople can't read? I'm not sure the free book market is the place to "take on" Kindle or that these devices overlap that much really. Does anyone out there really think... hmmm... iPhone or Kindle???
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:21 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJohnNewton View Post
I thought Mr. Jobs said iPeople can't read? I'm not sure the free book market is the place to "take on" Kindle or that these devices overlap that much really. Does anyone out there really think... hmmm... iPhone or Kindle???
It is not Mr. Jobs that is releasing this stuff. iPhone is taking on the PDA and Smartphone market by opening up their phone to third party tools and taking the additional step of using iTunes to support it. It just happens that some of those tools support eBooks just like the case of PDAs and Smartphones.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #13
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Yeah I know I'm just being silly in the first sentence in response to Steve's silly marketing driven drivel. I've always thought of Steve as a control freak but then the Kindle is even less open. Again I don't see much overlap in these devices. Might as well compare the iPhone to my Nikon D80. ;-)
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:53 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJohnNewton View Post
Might as well compare the iPhone to my Nikon D80. ;-)
There actually is, believe it or not, a reading app (for text files) available for Canon DSLRs .
Old 07-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #15
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There actually is, believe it or not, a reading app (for text files) available for Canon DSLRs .
So does that mean if I say yes, and have used it am I in bad Shape???

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote